Archived Topic

Should BYU try to pick up Rocky Long as DC? POLL

by mtnradio · 1/9/2020

Advertisement
M
mtnradio
First, I realize the likelihood of this is extremely small, but leave reality behind for a moment ...



SHOULD they?



I say yes. With a defensive mind like Rock Long as the DC ... BYU wins 3 more games next year than they otherwise will.
A
ABYUFAN
He doesn't like BYU and never has. People rarely perform well at places that they don't want to be. I don't think that its a good fit.
S
snoscythe
No brainer.



Successful defensive coach vs. Ilaisa Tuiaki?



I take the newcomer 366 days a year.
A
ABYUFAN
hawkwing wrote:

https://twitter.com/ArtDirectorBYU/status/273523531814404096


:lol: :lol: The fact that he was even asked that question shows that people perceive him as not liking BYU. The fact that he dodged the question could easily confirm that he actually doesn't like BYU.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I think he does hate BYU, having coached against them and their "unfair advantages" for so long. I also believe he'd jump at the chance to be a DC at BYU.



I hate Pepsi, but I'd take a job with them in a heart beat to be their CIO.
B
byufan4ever
ABYUFAN wrote:

He doesn't like BYU and never has. People rarely perform well at places that they don't want to be. I don't think that its a good fit.


Exactly. Is he a better DC than who we have now? Yes, by a large margin. But he is not a good fit for BYU me thinks. I voted no.
S
snoscythe
The last DC we hired from a MWC school who came with prior personal animus against BYU panned out pretty well...
A
ABYUFAN
snoscythe wrote:

The last DC we hired from a MWC school who came with prior personal animus against BYU panned out pretty well...


Good point. And there is no reason to believe that BYU's current DC is ever going to be competent. I voted "no" and if I had to do it over I'd still vote "no". but if he were to be hired I would be very happy about it.
E
EM_Puma
I think Rocky is an above average coach and I wouldn't be disappointed in him being around, but I don't know that he's a good fit for the culture of BYU. It would be crazy weird to have someone who was so critical of how old BYU players were, etc. to end up here. I don't see it happening.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
ABYUFAN wrote:


The last DC we hired from a MWC school who came with prior personal animus against BYU panned out pretty well...


Good point. And there is no reason to believe that BYU's current DC is ever going to be competent. I voted "no" and if I had to do it over I'd still vote "no". but if he were to be hired I would be very happy about it.


Difference was he was mainstream active. I don't know if Rocky ever was or is. That would make a big difference.
F
Fido
Long is 70 years old, and doesn't want the grind of the Head Coach job anymore. I'm not sure that becomes a plus--as good as he has been on defensive side of the ball. Any struggles and criticism would not be met with any course correction I'm afraid.

And there is philosophical differences on the direction of BYU football. Long wants them back in the MWC which conflicts with the announced direction of independence seeking a P5 conference.

This is why I voted no.
B
BroncoBot
You guys who don't thing Long at BYU would be a good thing are nuts.



If the choice is Teriyaki or Long, the no brain needed choice is Long.
F
frdbtr
ABYUFAN wrote:

He doesn't like BYU and never has. People rarely perform well at places that they don't want to be. I don't think that its a good fit.


This is incorrect, Rocky Long's parents met at BYU. He said this in an interview before we played them. He loves BYU. As far as him coaching at BYU, it is impossible no matter how much we would all want it because it would require a couple of things to happen. First, he would have to leave SDSU and the only way he would do that is to retire, not to come be a Dcoordinator to an inferior head coach. Second, Sitake would have to fire his "brother" in order to hire coach Long and that is even less likely than Rocky retiring to come be the Dcoordinator to an inferior head coach.
F
frdbtr
Anyway, I voted Yes because in a dream world where it would happen Rocky would be such an upgrade over the joke defense we currently have, it isn't worth talking about.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Promote Homoe to VP Advancement. Move Tuiaki to AD and add Rocky as DC.
F
Fido
frdbtr wrote:


He doesn't like BYU and never has. People rarely perform well at places that they don't want to be. I don't think that its a good fit.


This is incorrect, Rocky Long's parents met at BYU. He said this in an interview before we played them. He loves BYU. As far as him coaching at BYU, it is impossible no matter how much we would all want it because it would require a couple of things to happen. First, he would have to leave SDSU and the only way he would do that is to retire, not to come be a Dcoordinator to an inferior head coach. Second, Sitake would have to fire his "brother" in order to hire coach Long and that is even less likely than Rocky retiring to come be the Dcoordinator to an inferior head coach.


Logic check: My parents met at the U. Do you think that makes me love that place? And I've never heard him say he "loves" BYU--though I heard him say he "doesn't hate" BYU. He wants them back in the MWC and then he would like them much more.
F
frdbtr
Wow, I hadn't seen the news that he had stepped down as SDSU's HC so I guess that obstacle is overcome, now all we need to do is get Sitake to fire his "brother" and we might have a shot at Rocky.
F
frdbtr
Fido wrote:


ABYUFAN wrote:

He doesn't like BYU and never has. People rarely perform well at places that they don't want to be. I don't think that its a good fit.


This is incorrect, Rocky Long's parents met at BYU. He said this in an interview before we played them. He loves BYU. As far as him coaching at BYU, it is impossible no matter how much we would all want it because it would require a couple of things to happen. First, he would have to leave SDSU and the only way he would do that is to retire, not to come be a Dcoordinator to an inferior head coach. Second, Sitake would have to fire his "brother" in order to hire coach Long and that is even less likely than Rocky retiring to come be the Dcoordinator to an inferior head coach.


Logic check: My parents met at the U. Do you think that makes me love that place? And I've never heard him say he "loves" BYU--though I heard him say he "doesn't hate" BYU. He wants them back in the MWC and then he would like them much more.


When the question is worded "do you hate BYU?" do you answer "I love BYU" or "No, I don't Hate BYU". Seriously folks, do we have to argue about everything?
C
CougarCrazy
Yes. He won’t drop 8 on every play and keep doing it when it’s not working. That’s better than what BYU has today.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.