Archived Topic

Poll about your excitement with BYU Football after the 2019 season.

by CougarCrazy · 1/5/2020

Advertisement
C
CougarCrazy
I’m curious what people are thinking. The poll is open for 30 days.
Y
YNot
I'm in the 'neutral' camp...unless we land a couple of recruiting surprises in February.



3 points against SDSU, ho-hum December recruiting, and then letting Hawaii come from behind to win the bowl game on Christmas Eve...another 'what could have been' season.
A
ABYUFAN
I have believed for a long time that Sitake is a nice guy that is not a competent head coach.
S
snoscythe
BYU's latest recruiting class sits at #74 right now, but likely to drop after February as is always the case for BYU. (last year at this time we were ~#65, ended up #81).



We offered scholarships to 4 quarterbacks--landed the 4th choice (although I don't think anyone ever believed we had any realistic path to landing Uiagalelei).



Our highest ranked committed recruit only is ranked 3 stars. We don't have any offers left out there to anyone ranked 4 stars or higher who has not already committed verbally or via NLI to another school, and I've yet to see the master recruiter convince a coveted recruit to come to BYU after a verbal commitment to another school.



This is shaping up to be BYU's worst recruiting class of the decade as ranked by the recruiting services. The "empty cupboard" Bronco supposedly left Kalani is only getting emptier year after year.



I'm well past pessimism for 2020 at this point.
C
CougarCrazy
snoscythe wrote:

BYU's latest recruiting class sits at #74 right now, but likely to drop after February as is always the case for BYU. (last year at this time we were ~#65, ended up #81).



We offered scholarships to 4 quarterbacks--landed the 4th choice (although I don't think anyone ever believed we had any realistic path to landing Uiagalelei).



Our highest ranked committed recruit only is ranked 3 stars. We don't have any offers left out there to anyone ranked 4 stars or higher who has not already committed verbally or via NLI to another school, and I've yet to see the master recruiter convince a coveted recruit to come to BYU after a verbal commitment to another school.



This is shaping up to be BYU's worst recruiting class of the decade as ranked by the recruiting services. The "empty cupboard" Bronco supposedly left Kalani is only getting emptier year after year.



I'm well past pessimism for 2020 at this point.


I saw the thread about the recruiting thread and thought this post deserved a bump. You called it out as more of a stark situation than I realized it is.
Advertisement
M
mtnradio
CougarCrazy wrote:


BYU's latest recruiting class sits at #74 right now, but likely to drop after February as is always the case for BYU. (last year at this time we were ~#65, ended up #81).



We offered scholarships to 4 quarterbacks--landed the 4th choice (although I don't think anyone ever believed we had any realistic path to landing Uiagalelei).



Our highest ranked committed recruit only is ranked 3 stars. We don't have any offers left out there to anyone ranked 4 stars or higher who has not already committed verbally or via NLI to another school, and I've yet to see the master recruiter convince a coveted recruit to come to BYU after a verbal commitment to another school.



This is shaping up to be BYU's worst recruiting class of the decade as ranked by the recruiting services. The "empty cupboard" Bronco supposedly left Kalani is only getting emptier year after year.



I'm well past pessimism for 2020 at this point.


I saw the thread about the recruiting thread and thought this post deserved a bump. You called it out as more of a stark situation than I realized it is.


Sometimes I think Sno is a little too pessimistic and unhappy ...



Not today. I am sadly in agreement with him. BYU Football will not do good things with this staff.

I keep thinking ... what if they hadn't extended KS? He was winning games to prove he deserved the extension. So what if they had drug it out past the bowl game ... BYU may have had 2 more wins! If recruiting sucked, KS would blame the lack of certainty ... If they kept it open until a few games into next season, then would he have had the heart and drive to win? Could he be trained to be hungry and a winner?



OK, I let my optimism sneak into that last sentence ... sorry about that Sno. You are right.
N
nuk13
I didn't see this poll until today so I didn't vote. After the inconsistent season we just had I am no longer positive about our chances. If we'd have beaten Hawaii in the bowl game I would be much more hopeful. We didn't so I'm not.
S
scott715
I am hopeful. People are down because of our recent records not be up to par and our recruiting rankings being low. Remember it is an imperfect science. If the staff can be a good judge of talent and not miss on too many players that will help. Career ending Injuries can not be controlled. We have some good PWO players not in the rankings and grad transfers also not in the rankings. The sky is not falling yet.



Yes things could be a lot better and I have my reservations about coaching. These coaches are gaining experience which will benefit them. Hit the transfer portal hard. I would like to see us get more grad transfers each year. SMU got a lot of them and had a great season last year. We need to follow suit.



I think we could be really good if we had like 10 quality grad transfers each year. Give me another WR and a couple DL transfers.
B
byufan4ever
We're obviously not getting the super talented freshmen needed to consistenly compete with a hard schedule. So yes we definitely need to hit the transfer portal hard. Doesn't even have to be grad transfers. Anyone at a P5 school that just needs more PT should be looked at.
S
scott715
I think the ranking system has changed. We are getting more 3 stars but is that do to few 2 stars? I think we are looking at diamonds in the rough. We just need to strike gold on a lot of those. Same with the PWOs. We get more recruits than other schools with the walkons.



Do we have more depth than in the past? I think we do. Especially with the new red-shirt rule.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
scott715 wrote:

I am hopeful. People are down because of our recent records not be up to par and our recruiting rankings being low. Remember it is an imperfect science. If the staff can be a good judge of talent and not miss on too many players that will help. Career ending Injuries can not be controlled. We have some good PWO players not in the rankings and grad transfers also not in the rankings. The sky is not falling yet.



Yes things could be a lot better and I have my reservations about coaching. These coaches are gaining experience which will benefit them. Hit the transfer portal hard. I would like to see us get more grad transfers each year. SMU got a lot of them and had a great season last year. We need to follow suit.



I think we could be really good if we had like 10 quality grad transfers each year. Give me another WR and a couple DL transfers.

I appreciate your optimism Scott.
S
Sammich
scott715 wrote:

Career ending Injuries can not be controlled. We have some good PWO players not in the rankings and grad transfers also not in the rankings. The sky is not falling yet.


This is true in a general sense, but statistically speaking, when your team is consistently having an unusual number of career-ending injuries from year to year, it's a pretty good sign that you're doing something wrong. I've heard that the most important hire a coach can make is the strength and conditioning coach, and this is one reason why.
E
EM_Puma
What's weird is the difference between my current feelings toward the football and basketball and a lot has to do with the excitement of the coaches. Pope has it going in all ways, but Sitake just doesn't. If we were to lose a lot of games in BB that we weren't supposed to, kind of like what happened to Rose the last five years, then Pope would be in that same boat. Get beat by better teams, but quit the losses to the Toledo's et all and then we'll talk about having a good feeling again.
M
mtnradio
scott715 wrote:

I am hopeful. People are down because of our recent records not be up to par and our recruiting rankings being low. Remember it is an imperfect science. If the staff can be a good judge of talent and not miss on too many players that will help.


What about this past season makes you comfortable that this staff can be a good judge of talent?



I look at the QB position as an example of why I don't have that confidence.
S
scott715
It takes us several years to determine if those flyers will pan out or not. Lamb had success at Snow find kids who went to the NFL. He has some ability in judging kids under the radar.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.