Archived Topic

Conference Play

by byufan4ever · 12/30/2019

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
I think that BYU needs to go 2-2 against Gonzaga and Saint Mary's. At the very least 1-3. If we can't do that with all of our seniors then we have not progressed this season and I will be very disappointed. Below is how the WCC looks with NET rankings going into conference play. SF and SC might give us some trouble away from home but we HAVE TO win ALL of the other games.


WCC NET Rankings 2019-12-29.PNG
G
Gunk
BYU gets an at large bid by putting together runs. Agree, only losses to SMC and Gonzaga would be forgiveable.



Under Rose, we knew there would be two head-scratchers every season. Under Pope, I'm hopeful this trend will come to an end. We really don't seem to be playing down to opponents like we did under Rose.
B
byufan4ever
Oh and look at who has played the least road games...
G
Guest
I would like that very much.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I mentioned this in another thread, but we've got a great opportunity in that we only have to play the surprising two WCC Cinderella teams this year (Santa Clara and Pacific) one time each. SC at home and Pacific on the road.
E
EM_Puma
byufan4ever wrote:

Here is one site's predicted conference standings. What do you think? I'll take 2nd place with 2 games up on The Mary's!



WCC Prediciton 2020-01-06.PNG



http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/conf-prediction?conference=West-Coast

I have no idea who Warren Nolan is and how reputable their predictions are, but it seems a bit strange to me to see that Gonzaga is listed as currently having an RPI of 41, while they are the #1 ranked team in the country.
B
byufan4ever
EM_Puma wrote:


Here is one site's predicted conference standings. What do you think? I'll take 2nd place with 2 games up on The Mary's!



WCC Prediciton 2020-01-06.PNG



http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/conf-prediction?conference=West-Coast

I have no idea who Warren Nolan is and how reputable their predictions are, but it seems a bit strange to me to see that Gonzaga is listed as currently having an RPI of 41, while they are the #1 ranked team in the country.


Uh, RPI is RPI. CBS Sports is showing the same rankings for RPI. Gonzaga is #41 and BYU is #21. Gonzaga being #1 is in the AP Poll which is based off of the very biased media voting. RPI is a straight calculation based off of your win percentage and SOS. Also, if you go by the NET rankings, which is what will be used by the tournament committee, Gonzaga is "only" #7.



Also interesting that CBS Sports bracketology expert Jerry Palm currently has BYU as First Four Out along with Utah and The Mary's. I think there is still a lot of bias against the WCC and some people just have it in their heads that the WCC is a one conference team even if the WCC Is up while other conferences are down.



Also, for the at large selections why not just simply go with the remaining best teams by NET ranking?
S
snoscythe
EM_Puma wrote:

I mentioned this in another thread, but we've got a great opportunity in that we only have to play the surprising two WCC Cinderella teams this year (Santa Clara and Pacific) one time each. SC at home and Pacific on the road.


Yeah, but wouldn't we rather have them on the schedule to bolster NET rankings?
E
EM_Puma
snoscythe wrote:


I mentioned this in another thread, but we've got a great opportunity in that we only have to play the surprising two WCC Cinderella teams this year (Santa Clara and Pacific) one time each. SC at home and Pacific on the road.


Yeah, but wouldn't we rather have them on the schedule to bolster NET rankings?


IMHO...Nope! If it was a P5 team with the name recognition as well, okay, but whereas NET rankings supposedly looks past that, I want to stay away from pesky wanttabe WCC teams that have no name recognition.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Once again, after another week of conference BB, thanks to the scheduling deity that gave us only one game each against Santa Clara and Pacific this season.



The down side though is that we won't have the opportunity to battle them for conference tournament seeding if they likewise don't play as tough of a schedule in the conference. Santa Clara, like us, plays SMC and Gonzaga twice, but Pacific lucked out royal in that they only play Gonzaga and BYU once this season. Grateful that USF beat them this week.
G
Gunk
We can't lose against anyone other than Gonzaga now. Need to beat SMC at our next game and not drop games against anyone else.



If we split with Gonzaga, maybe we can afford another loss against someone else like Pacific or Santa Clara.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.