Archived Topic

BYU vs. Utah

by EM_Puma · 12/4/2019

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
https://www.deseret.com/2019/12/3/20993903/mark-pope-byu-basketball-rivalry-utah-utes-yoeli-childs



From this article, it sounds like Mark Pope gets the rivalry. Dave Rose didn't exactly say all the wrong things, but Pope gets what it means to us fans that are live here in Utah. It is a big deal.



I will be gravely disappointed if we don't beat Puketah Wednesday and it will cast a huge dark shadow on the season, especially since on paper, BYU is better.



It's almost up there with the way I felt about the USU FB game in that I just couldn't accept a 3rd loss in a row and continue my support to Kalani Sitake as HC--but not quite. Pope has some latitude being new and in that we're the team on a two game winning streak vs. Puketah.
S
SpiffCoug
Another year-long loss to the Utes.



I really wish we would stop scheduling them. Let the two programs eventually drift into different orbits where the fan bases are essentially separate and unrelated to each other. Let them enjoy their own team and not have to worry about the other.
G
Guest
I'm glad I couldn't watch it.
N
nuk13
SpiffCoug wrote:

Another year-long loss to the Utes.



I really wish we would stop scheduling them. Let the two programs eventually drift into different orbits where the fan bases are essentially separate and unrelated to each other. Let them enjoy their own team and not have to worry about the other.


That's a good point Spiff. There is more hate than sport involved.
B
byufan4ever
I turned the game off with 30 seconds left but apparently with about 15 seconds left Toolson was called for yet another BYU offensive charge/foul and he said something to the Utah bench/coaches and Coach Krybaby let it get to him and said something back. After the game Pope didn't shake Krybaby's hand and instead gave him the briefest of touches and quickly moved on. One of Utah's other coaches took exception to this and sought Pope out yelling at him and Pope yelled back and they had to be separated...



Still, I want the rivalry to continue. I think some of us want it to end just cause it hurts to continue to lose to them year after year. I just don't let the petty stuff get to me. It's just sports and if a Utah or BYU fan wants to make it more than that then I just laugh and move on with my life.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
It was a great game for the first 30 min. Yeoli going down with the injury I think just rattled us. Haws fouling out didn't help. We forgot to go back to what we did with UCLA and Virginia, move the ball around and cut to the basket. Defense fell apart.



In the end, I hope it's a lesson to this team. You keep the foot on the gas. I felt we let up with about 10 to go and went on cruise control. Nothing will be given to us. It must all be earned.



On a side note, it's looking like we'll need to win the WCC tourney to go dancing this year.
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:

It was a great game for the first 30 min. Yeoli going down with the injury I think just rattled us. Haws fouling out didn't help. We forgot to go back to what we did with UCLA and Virginia, move the ball around and cut to the basket. Defense fell apart.



In the end, I hope it's a lesson to this team. You keep the foot on the gas. I felt we let up with about 10 to go and went on cruise control. Nothing will be given to us. It must all be earned.



On a side note, it's looking like we'll need to win the WCC tourney to go dancing this year.

NEeding to win the WCC tourney (or be WCC champs outright I figure would get us an at large) doesn't have me super hopeful.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.