Archived Topic

How do you feel about the Yoeliless portion of the season?

by hawkwing · 12/2/2019

Advertisement
G
Guest
The Cougars had some rough spots during the portion of the season Yoeli was unfairly suspended. However, overall I'm pretty happy with the way the Cougars fought through and got a few tough wins and only dropped a few games they had the chance to win.
A
ABYUFAN
I agree with you on this. I was very happy with the Cougars in Maui, I was disappointed with the Cougars in Boise, and against SD state. I'm excited that the Cougars learned to play as a team with Yoeli on the bench
B
byufan4ever
Yeah, overall, I'm pleased. After the Boise St. loss I thought we might go 0-3 in Maui so going 2-1 was nice. It will be interesting to see how much slack the committee gives BYU for their "pre-Yoeli" losses. I really hope Childs can just slide right in and integrate seamlessly with the rest of the team but that might not be the case.



Also, is the Utah game really going to just be on the PAC-12 network? I don't think I get that with YouTube TV so I'll be really disapointed if I don't get to watch the game!
W
Wolverine
ABYUFAN wrote:

I agree with you on this. I was very happy with the Cougars in Maui, I was disappointed with the Cougars in Boise, and against SD state. I'm excited that the Cougars learned to play as a team with Yoeli on the bench


Boise State has been the only truly disappointing loss, however those kind of losses happen in basketball on the road. San Diego State is 8-0 and on the cusp of cracking the Top 25 at #28 this week in the AP Poll. The December slate is a tough one. It will be interesting to watch how the Cougs fare with Yoeli back playing. I'm pretty optimistic about this team.
G
Gunk
Overall, I'm good with it.



Team went through some growing pains and while I hate that we lost close games to SDSU and BSU, I think those losses helped galvanize the team. We saw a lot less iso ball the last 2-3 games than we saw at the beginning of the season. Haws is rolling. Toolson seems to be figuring out his place in the team. Nixon and Seljaas learned to be real physical down low (anyone else notice how much muscle Seljaas has put on?). Lee has been a surprise. All of this is good.



Childs re-entering is an adjustment, but I think it's one the team will adapt well to. We need another place for the ball to go.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
When you look at the frontcourt (or lack thereof) that BYU had to work with thus far, I would call it an unqualified success.
N
nuk13
hawkwing wrote:

The Cougars had some rough spots during the portion of the season Yoeli was unfairly suspended. However, overall I'm pretty happy with the way the Cougars fought through and got a few tough wins and only dropped a few games they had the chance to win.


Happy is almost an understatement. Wolverine pointed out that SDSU is 8 and O. They should be in the top 25 but they have the stigma of playing in the west. They are always tough. Kansas is Kansas. We've only had one "bad" loss, Boise State on their floor.



In the mean time Kolby Lee has really come along. He's 4th in scoring and while his total rebounds aren't the best he leads the team in offensive rebounds with 14 and leads the team in field goal percentage with 59.6%.



Haws was just named WCC player of the week. I wonder how far he beat Toolson for that honor.



If Childs can fit in after the silly the suspension the Cougars can't help but be an even better team.
E
EM_Puma
I'm with the majority and pleased at how we went during our Yoeliless days. BSU was a loss that shouldn't have happened, but it did. I doubt it would have with Yoeli playing and that's what makes it smart a bit.



I really do believe that at the end of the season, anything pre-Yoeli will be forgiven, if we continue to improve.



I am happy with the development of Colby Lee and it does appear that all that shooting practice that we heard about as soon as Pope took over is showing some results. If these guys get confident with a win over Puketah, I think we're going to make a loud growl at the basketball world.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.