Archived Topic

Letter to NCAA re: Yoeli Childs

by EM_Puma · 11/23/2019

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I wrote this to the NCAA back in August. I received a response today.



The National Collegiate Athletic Association

700 W. Washington Street

P.O. Box 6222

Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222

13 Aug 2019



Dear Administration.

I am appalled at the recent decision of the NCAA to suspend Yoeli Childs of BYU for 9 games of his senior year for a simple paperwork technicality.



Yoeli is one of the few talented players in the collegiate landscape that spurned professional basketball for one season to come back. It would be great if all the college athletes would work to get their degrees first before heading out in the world. This individual changed their mind and decided that was the right move. It would be hard to blame him for testing the waters. The items you have accused him of are not malignant actions, but it became obvious, at the change of a coaching staff, that there was no one there to guide him in the ever-changing landscape of students viewing professional opportunities.



The biggest problem for me is that your body seems to not be consistent. I heard on the radio going home last night from a college basketball coach that there was recently a player who had taken $100,000 with the intention of not going to college, but then went and was “allowed” to play his full freshman season. Then you treat the paperwork snafu of Yoeli Childs as something that is worse than that issue. That’s only one of many.



Review this decision. It wasn’t right. I haven’t seen one person locally or nationally that is in agreement with the decision and they all believe it was excessive. If there has to be consequences, then make them fit the crime. There was ABSOLUTELY no intention of skirting the rules by Mr. Childs. Had the coaching staff not turned over completely during this time at BYU, there would have been better support to have helped Mr. Childs achieve the task of filing correctly all the paperwork.



This is abuse of power and erodes the confidence many fans have in the NCAA due to the excessive inconsistencies in how rules are adjudicated.



Have a Heart!
E
EM_Puma
I hadn't actually expected a response, but from the context of the letter, some low rung employee at the NCAA must have had to read it to know what to respond.
N
nuk13
Good for you EM. I would be for colleges getting together and forming another association that was a lot more equatable.
B
BYULV
Kind of telling that a professional sports agent has to register with the NCAA, take an exam and pay a fee to be able to represent a professional athlete.
B
blue42
EM_Puma wrote:

I hadn't actually expected a response, but from the context of the letter, some low rung employee at the NCAA must have had to read it to know what to respond.


You are giving them more credit that someone actually read this. This "form" letter response probably was generated using the same computer program that screens resumes and sends out automated rejection letters without human eyes ever seeing it. (believe me I know this all too well right now!!!)
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
blue42 wrote:


I hadn't actually expected a response, but from the context of the letter, some low rung employee at the NCAA must have had to read it to know what to respond.


You are giving them more credit that someone actually read this. This "form" letter response probably was generated using the same computer program that screens resumes and sends out automated rejection letters without human eyes ever seeing it. (believe me I know this all too well right now!!!)


Okay Debbie-downer. Thanks for bursting my bubble. No, in reality, I suspected that a possibility. It was like when I got my mission call back in the late 70's and while I was in the MTC, I mentioned to my district how awesome it was that my call was actually signed by President Spencer W. Kimball. My companion then tells me it's a machine and hands me his letter. I put it up to the light and bingo--exactamundo. It was a machine.
B
blue42
EM_Puma wrote:


EM_Puma wrote:

I hadn't actually expected a response, but from the context of the letter, some low rung employee at the NCAA must have had to read it to know what to respond.


You are giving them more credit that someone actually read this. This "form" letter response probably was generated using the same computer program that screens resumes and sends out automated rejection letters without human eyes ever seeing it. (believe me I know this all too well right now!!!)


Okay Debbie-downer. Thanks for bursting my bubble. No, in reality, I suspected that a possibility. It was like when I got my mission call back in the late 70's and while I was in the MTC, I mentioned to my district how awesome it was that my call was actually signed by President Spencer W. Kimball. My companion then tells me it's a machine and hands me his letter. I put it up to the light and bingo--exactamundo. It was a machine.


My deepest apologies, forget I said anything at all! When your work closes their doors right before the holidays you tend to become a little curmudgeonly!
E
EM_Puma
blue42 wrote:

My deepest apologies, forget I said anything at all! When your work closes their doors right before the holidays you tend to become a little curmudgeonly!


Sorry to hear that. My worse nightmare, but when it has happened (and being in accounting it has happened often during mergers and acquisitions), I've never not landed well. Prayers with you bro.
G
Gunk
blue42 wrote:


blue42 wrote:


I hadn't actually expected a response, but from the context of the letter, some low rung employee at the NCAA must have had to read it to know what to respond.


You are giving them more credit that someone actually read this. This "form" letter response probably was generated using the same computer program that screens resumes and sends out automated rejection letters without human eyes ever seeing it. (believe me I know this all too well right now!!!)


Okay Debbie-downer. Thanks for bursting my bubble. No, in reality, I suspected that a possibility. It was like when I got my mission call back in the late 70's and while I was in the MTC, I mentioned to my district how awesome it was that my call was actually signed by President Spencer W. Kimball. My companion then tells me it's a machine and hands me his letter. I put it up to the light and bingo--exactamundo. It was a machine.


My deepest apologies, forget I said anything at all! When your work closes their doors right before the holidays you tend to become a little curmudgeonly!

I have been there. I am sorry. It's one of my worst experiences.



Don't stay idle. Find something, anything to do.
B
blue42
EM_Puma wrote:




I have been there. I am sorry. It's one of my worst experiences.



Don't stay idle. Find something, anything to do.


Sorry to hear that. My worse nightmare, but when it has happened (and being in accounting it has happened often during mergers and acquisitions), I've never not landed well. Prayers with you bro.


Thanks guys I appreciate it. Unfortunately this also happened to me exactly 3 years ago, so twice in 3 years, quite the track record. I don't what it is about the holidays and companies doing layoffs?



I will not be staying idle, I will at least have more time to come to CC and talk all things BYU.



And again Puma, sorry about bursting your bubble. :~(
Advertisement
G
Gunk
blue42 wrote:


Gunk wrote:



I have been there. I am sorry. It's one of my worst experiences.



Don't stay idle. Find something, anything to do.


Sorry to hear that. My worse nightmare, but when it has happened (and being in accounting it has happened often during mergers and acquisitions), I've never not landed well. Prayers with you bro.


Thanks guys I appreciate it. Unfortunately this also happened to me exactly 3 years ago, so twice in 3 years, quite the track record. I don't what it is about the holidays and companies doing layoffs?



I will not be staying idle, I will at least have more time to come to CC and talk all things BYU.



And again Puma, sorry about bursting your bubble. :~(


Layoffs during the holidays because it's the final quarter of the calendar and often fiscal year for a company. It's usually around the November when a company knows whether they have or will hit their targets and what they may have to do to stay afloat.
B
blue42
Gunk wrote:


EM_Puma wrote:




I have been there. I am sorry. It's one of my worst experiences.



Don't stay idle. Find something, anything to do.


Sorry to hear that. My worse nightmare, but when it has happened (and being in accounting it has happened often during mergers and acquisitions), I've never not landed well. Prayers with you bro.


Thanks guys I appreciate it. Unfortunately this also happened to me exactly 3 years ago, so twice in 3 years, quite the track record. I don't what it is about the holidays and companies doing layoffs?



I will not be staying idle, I will at least have more time to come to CC and talk all things BYU.



And again Puma, sorry about bursting your bubble. :~(


Layoffs during the holidays because it's the final quarter of the calendar and often fiscal year for a company. It's usually around the November when a company knows whether they have or will hit their targets and what they may have to do to stay afloat.


Yep I know, I just wanted to rant like Chevy Chase did in Christmas Vacation. "Hallelujah, Holy S***, Where's the Tylenol!" :D
E
EM_Puma
blue42 wrote:

And again Puma, sorry about bursting your bubble. :~(


Oh heck, I've had 7 children and 17.5 grandchildren. If my bubble get's burst over something that simple, then I'm in big trouble. All will work out okay, you'll see. 8)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.