Archived Topic

TVRC's viewing strategy

by TulaneVandyRiceCoug · 11/20/2019

Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
With head reared back and cackling, I present to you my plan for viewing BYU-UMass...free!



Phase 1. Gain trust of youtube. This phase is actually complete, and for the past 5 years or so I have paid a small monthly fee for the youtube app. I get all the music and videos I want ad free and love it. This app is different from youtube tv, which does cover the New England network that is airing the game.



Phase 2. Be a good consumer. After downloading the youtube tv app this week, I was asked for my zip code. I gave them the one for the UMass campus, and my youtube tv app now gives me a bunch of "relevant to you" Boston area sports (Red Sox, Bruins, and UMass). As I click around, I continue getting a push notification to start my free trial. I am a good consumer because I am considering a free trial, it just happens to be that I want to start it right before kickoff.



Phase 3. Take over the world. As I start the trial, I will feel no remorse as a paying youtube subscriber who is interested in the reach and coverage of the tv app on a trial basis.



I suppose I could even do a google hangouts screenshare for those interested.



I *think* this would work.
G
Guest
I have heard it will be blacked out, even for Massachusetts zipcodes and will only be available via streaming on flofootball.
E
EM_Puma
I'll just pay the $14 to add the sports package to my DirecTV and watch the game. A whole lot less than it would cost to go to a game and we're a bit spoiled as fans as there are few programs out there that have as much TV coverage as our football and men's basketball games.



Very innovative TVRC. I hope you do find a way to make that work.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Hawkwing, I'll return and report findings on whether the NESN is blacked out via youtube tv.



I think that would be a really sad state of marketing the broadcast if that turns out to be the case. It would mean that the local area coverage is hindered to force the flosports option.



I'm a capitalist as much as the next guy, but cmon
G
Guest
EM_Puma wrote:

I'll just pay the $14 to add the sports package to my DirecTV and watch the game. A whole lot less than it would cost to go to a game and we're a bit spoiled as fans as there are few programs out there that have as much TV coverage as our football and men's basketball games.



Very innovative TVRC. I hope you do find a way to make that work.


I heard it's blacked out on Dish and DirecTV. Dish says it's blacked out on their guide, but DirecTV doesn't say one way or another.
Advertisement
S
scott715
What do I do? Add the sports package on Directv and then find the game blacked out? Maybe I should just work that day since I am behind.
E
EM_Puma
Ok, funny that earlier in the week BYU understood that it would be on Dish or DirecTV if you had the sports package and now it sounds like it won't. I don't quite understand that. Seriously UMass is that screwed up that they can't even communicate accurately how to get the game? Honestly, I wasn't so concerned of paying the $14 for the sports package, and it's only about $6 more for the streaming, but now it's moving into the realm of I'm not going to pay a service that seems to be working toward total control.



I would have been real pissed had I called and added the sports package and then find out the game was blacked out. Whew! Glad you guys pointed that out.



I don't see them on our future schedules. I'd be surprised if we scheduled them again unless they worked better to make the game available. Of course, I hear a lot of other team's fans wouldn't think that $20 to view the program would be that big of a deal, so I guess I just don't know.
F
Fido
:lol: The lengths people will go to try and save $6 and beat the holder of rights...would this be the modern day equivalent to the old LaVell joke about BYU fans attending bowl games in San Diego?



If it proved lucrative to have rights to a BYU away game through things like FloSports or through other network subscriptions/viewership, that would seem a great way to motivate teams to schedule BYU. All the little games pinch pennies justify the cheapskate reputation the BYU fanbase has.



I added a sports package temporarily to my cable subscription to get the CBSSports games and will remove that after the SDSU game next week. I had ESPN+ for a month to get the Toledo game. And I'll get a month of FloSports to get the UMass game. I figure its the least I can do as a fan who 1) wants to watch the games no matter the opponent, and 2) my circumstances make it hard to be a season ticket holder.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
scott715 wrote:

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome?utm_source=Search&utm_medium=Adwords&utm_term=Brand&utm_campaign=USA_General_Search_EN_GGL_Brand&ftv_campaign=USA-SEM-Brand&gclid=Cj0KCQiAq97uBRCwARIsADTziyaLIB2ajdhaXi8n3PU6hRzUEYJZu7geYJsEKHzis2Is9pGkr80JSEYaApWBEALw_wcB



I heard the game might on Fubo.tv and it has a 7 day free trial.


What do you mean your "heard"? That's what I'm hating about this situation is how nebulous it is. BYU reporting earlier in the week that DireTV and Dish's sports packs would get it and then not, and other things. I guess it's Flo Sports to be sure.
E
EM_Puma
Well, I went and pulled the trigger. I cannot honestly simply listen to the BYU game on KSL with having an option to watch it as well.



I'm steaming the Ohio State vs Purdue Ft Wayne MBB game on right now, so at least I'm getting something else for my $20.
F
Fido
I paid my month to FloSports. Will watch the game and then cancel afterwards. No biggie.
S
Sharper
I just signed up for fubo tv's free trial on my Roku and set it to record the game, so for now it doesn't appear blacked out there. I'll report back as soon as I know for sure, i.e. at game time.
Advertisement
C
CougarCrazy
Fido wrote:

I paid my month to FloSports. Will watch the game and then cancel afterwards. No biggie.


It’s the remembering to cancel afterwards that sometimes gets me.
S
scott715
Thanks Sharper. I will check to see what you find.
S
Sharper
scott715 wrote:

Thanks Sharper. I will check to see what you find.

I put in an Amherst zip code at the start, although I used my correct zip for billing address on the 7 day free trial. Elsewhere, some people report you can change zip on their website. I see local news channels, so not sure how much that matters.



As of noon eastern, I'm still watching NESN after searching for BYU in the roku app, so it doesn't appear blacked out. They're talking the game now.
S
Sharper
Game has started, still playing, so the free trial works as an option.
S
scott715
It was not on FUBO tv. I don't have a Roku. Oh well.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.