Archived Topic

Who SHOULD start at QB against UMass?

by snoscythe · 11/17/2019

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Obviously assuming everyone is healthy, who do you think should be the starting QB? Not who will Kalani/Roderick/Grimes roll out there, but who do you think should get the nod?
A
a1247
Not sure why I vote it's obviously going to be Wilson. Prove me wrong.
E
EM_Puma
Wilson won the starting QB position before the season and I haven't seen a reason to not go with him. With that said, I have no problem with either Jaren Hall or Baylor Romney start. Actually, in yesterday's game, I was hoping Baylor would come out in the 2nd half. I guess apparently I don't think as a coach would, because I was very surprised that Wilson went as long as he did and then we saw Critchlow. I can only imagine that they wanted Baylor's turf toe to heal and Jaren was still on concussion protocol.
F
Fido
Easy call for me. Jaren Hall hasn't been cleared from his concussions, Baylor is fighting foot issues and was given last week to heal. Given those two things, I can't assume they are healthy and available. Critchlow should be fine in the backup role again this week.
B
byufan4ever
But Wilson won one competition one time and so he should be the starter forever...
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Like the poll states, we aren't talking about who is healthy. All things being equal, Baylor Romney has performed better than any QB on the roster this year. Wilson had a 126 PER against Idaho state, Romney had a 154 against Boise State. That should tell us all we need to know about which QB gives us the best chance to win out.
B
byufan4ever
But Wilson has played against much harder compet...oh wait...
G
Gunk
Romney.



A QB is more than arm strength and athleticism. Supposedly Wilson has better of both, but I have a hard time seeing it given his poor decision making.



I will take a poised, smart QB with an average arm and average speed any day over a more superior athletic QB that tries to do too much and puts the team in jeopardy over his decision making ability.
F
frdbtr
The conspiracy theorist in me says that Romney's "foot injury" was invented to keep them from going head to head against the same defense. If Wilson had played the 1st half and Romney the second half, we would have a full fledged QB controversy on our hands and, IMO, the coaches wanted to avoid that.
S
scott715
The question is who should play against SDSU. Use this game to prep for that one.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
byufan4ever wrote:

But Wilson won one competition one time and so he should be the starter forever...


No, but he hasn't done anything to lose it either. We all have to admit that it has not been detrimental whatsoever this season to see what the capabilities of the other horses in the stable have been and in an extremely unusual situation, we haven't seemed to falter no matter which one is the starter.



Someone will transfer because there are just too many to stay the course. I think Jaren Hall will be the one that is out because it seems to happen that once someone starts down the path of multiple concussions, there is usually no turning back (Young, Collie, etc.). In all honesty, it's really not worth the outcome for him to come back unless this one thing is consuming.
A
a1247
EM_Puma wrote:


But Wilson won one competition one time and so he should be the starter forever...


No, but he hasn't done anything to lose it either. We all have to admit that it has not been detrimental whatsoever this season to see what the capabilities of the other horses in the stable have been and in an extremely unusual situation, we haven't seemed to falter no matter which one is the starter.



Someone will transfer because there are just too many to stay the course. I think Jaren Hall will be the one that is out because it seems to happen that once someone starts down the path of multiple concussions, there is usually no turning back (Young, Collie, etc.). In all honesty, it's really not worth the outcome for him to come back unless this one thing is consuming.

Hall should concentrate on baseball and let the football player in him go. This isn't about talent or depth this is about his health and his future. 2 concussions in one season is a trend. Easy for me to say I'm sure he doesn't want to think this way.
J
Jarhead
EM_Puma wrote:


But Wilson won one competition one time and so he should be the starter forever...


No, but he hasn't done anything to lose it either. We all have to admit that it has not been detrimental whatsoever this season to see what the capabilities of the other horses in the stable have been and in an extremely unusual situation, we haven't seemed to falter no matter which one is the starter.



Someone will transfer because there are just too many to stay the course. I think Jaren Hall will be the one that is out because it seems to happen that once someone starts down the path of multiple concussions, there is usually no turning back (Young, Collie, etc.). In all honesty, it's really not worth the outcome for him to come back unless this one thing is consuming.


In game performance trumps pre-season practice.
E
EM_Puma
Gunk wrote:

A QB is more than arm strength and athleticism. Supposedly Wilson has better of both, but I have a hard time seeing it given his poor decision making.



I will take a poised, smart QB with an average arm and average speed any day over a more superior athletic QB that tries to do too much and puts the team in jeopardy over his decision making ability.


When I read this it reminded me of two plays that Wilson made Saturday that made you really question his thought process. The two plays where he couldn't find an open receiver and runs out of bounds and loses yardage. The one time he lost 4 yards on a 3rd down. What the hell? How did he suddenly lose the mindset that you get rid of the ball and not take a 4 yard loss. What was incredible, it happened twice in the first half that he ran out of bounds and lost yards. The other play wasn't as bad a 4 yards lost, but it's like he suddenly forgot what he was supposed to do.
E
EM_Puma
Jarhead wrote:



In game performance trumps pre-season practice.


Exactly, so what are you inferring? Wilson was injured, he didn't lose the starting job.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
EM_Puma wrote:




In game performance trumps pre-season practice.


Exactly, so what are you inferring? Wilson was injured, he didn't lose the starting job.


He also didn't play that great before he was injured and there have been other QBs (IMO) playing better than him. Drew Bledsoe would like a word about getting his job back after being injured...



If this was ANY other position you wouldn't hesitate to call for the backup who currently in-form to start over an injured former starter who had a shaky return against an easy opponnent. Am I wrong?
B
byufan4ever
Jarhead wrote:


byufan4ever wrote:

But Wilson won one competition one time and so he should be the starter forever...


No, but he hasn't done anything to lose it either. We all have to admit that it has not been detrimental whatsoever this season to see what the capabilities of the other horses in the stable have been and in an extremely unusual situation, we haven't seemed to falter no matter which one is the starter.



Someone will transfer because there are just too many to stay the course. I think Jaren Hall will be the one that is out because it seems to happen that once someone starts down the path of multiple concussions, there is usually no turning back (Young, Collie, etc.). In all honesty, it's really not worth the outcome for him to come back unless this one thing is consuming.


In game performance trumps pre-season practice.


Except for QB1. Don't you dare criticisize QB1. Long live QB1!
S
snoscythe
EM_Puma wrote:


A QB is more than arm strength and athleticism. Supposedly Wilson has better of both, but I have a hard time seeing it given his poor decision making.



I will take a poised, smart QB with an average arm and average speed any day over a more superior athletic QB that tries to do too much and puts the team in jeopardy over his decision making ability.


When I read this it reminded me of two plays that Wilson made Saturday that made you really question his thought process. The two plays where he couldn't find an open receiver and runs out of bounds and loses yardage. The one time he lost 4 yards on a 3rd down. What the hell? How did he suddenly lose the mindset that you get rid of the ball and not take a 4 yard loss. What was incredible, it happened twice in the first half that he ran out of bounds and lost yards. The other play wasn't as bad a 4 yards lost, but it's like he suddenly forgot what he was supposed to do.


There's nothing "sudden" about Wilson doing this. This has been his MO the entire season, and it's why I would like to see him benched to send the lesson home.



I honestly think he is more concerned with protecting his personal stats than with helping the team win, and if Romney, Critchlow, or Hall are available I would rather have Wilson ride the pine if he can't throw the ball away instead of running out of bounds for a loss, or (even worse) repeatedly running backwards before taking a sack.
C
coachK
If they were all healthy, they should all get a quarter (sans Hoge). I have seen nothing to indicate that any of them don't deserve playing time. Tell them it is an audition for starting the SDSU game. Let them pick their receivers. That should put some pressure on them if the umass defense doesn't. If they get to 3rd down, make them call their own play.
B
byufan4ever
coachK wrote:

If they were all healthy, they should all get a quarter (sans Hoge). I have seen nothing to indicate that any of them don't deserve playing time. Tell them it is an audition for starting the SDSU game. Let them pick their receivers. That should put some pressure on them if the umass defense doesn't. If they get to 3rd down, make them call their own play.


Haha, I like it!
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.