Archived Topic

2010 DE's

by BigCougsFan · 2/13/2010

Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
I honestly believe we really lack in this area. We need someone who can be awesome at the pass rush. Utah seems to land the good ones or converts them into very talented ones.



We just signed:

Bronson Kaufusi ranked 19th in the nation, but is he going on a mission?



What am I missing??? So many are labeled at DL, and I don't know who's specific for this position. What's our depth in this position???
C
cougfan1
Some have said that Mahina may switch from TE to DE
G
gmj81
Vic So'oto - I think it's official he received a med-red and will be back; he'll be a starter

Matt Putnam - he'll be the other starter

Jordan Richardson - could wind up at DT but might be able to help out at DE if no one else steps up

Jadon Wagner - jumped around a bit but finally seems to have settled at DE

David Tuitupou - seems like I remember him as a successful HS player; didn't sign with BYU but eventually ended up here after a mission I think

Thomas Bryson - came off an offseason injury/surgery IRCC but could be a real stud in the future or even this year if he can put on the weight

Kevin Bills - should be home soon; was a DE at TV but will probably have to pack on alotta weight before he sees time at DE; might end up being a LB



2010 Class

Bronson Kaufusi - likely will serve first IIRC, especially given his injury this past year

Graham Rowley - could play any number of positions at BYU including DE, DT, OL

Tayo Fabuluje - could play any number of positions at BYU including DE, DT, OL





What we've got for DTs:

Travis Tuiloma

Tuni Kanuch

Jordan Afo



Considering we've currently got Romney Fuga who'll be a junior next year and Ethyn Manumaleuna who will be a sophomore, it would be great if the staff could convince one or two of these guys to head straight out on their missions first. I believe all have expressed a desire to serve. Apparently the staff has tried to convince Kanuch, who was formerly set on serving right away, to play a year first but it may have been more due to his skills on the OL and our lack of depth there. As for Afo, since he's still coming off a broken back, it would seem like he could benefit from letting that heal up for a couple more years before jumping into the D1 trenches.
B
BigCougsFan
I loved Jordan Pendelton's speed, hard hitting(especially on Utah's QB Wynn on his first hit), and hustle. What about moving him to DE??? I know we converted him to LB from Safety, or would his height play a factor only being 6'2"?
M
Mars
cougfan1 wrote:
Some have said that Mahina may switch from TE to DE

Same with Fua. Very fast, athletic kid who could play a lot of different positions at BYU. It may be more need than fit for him as a freshman.
Advertisement
B
bball
I think BYU has more talent at the DE spot than may appear to the untrained eye. Putnam is going to be a great player. He redshirted last year, and will be a starter this year, he is 6'6" and has speed. So'oto is a beast physically, if he has learned the position well enough, he could be a great one too. Most of the others are young, untested, unknown at this point. Manu can play DT and did so very successfully before his mission. I think there is little reason to be concerned.
M
Mars
bball wrote:
Putnam is going to be a great player. He redshirted last year, and will be a starter this year, he is 6'6" and has speed.

Are you sure? I thought he played sparingly...
B
BigCougsFan
Mars wrote:
Are you sure? I thought he played sparingly...


Must be that "untrained eye" of yours and mine :bug:
P
ProV1
Mars wrote:
Putnam is going to be a great player. He redshirted last year, and will be a starter this year, he is 6'6" and has speed.

Are you sure? I thought he played sparingly...


From BYU Cougars.com



SOPHOMORE - (2009): Earned letterman honors as a sophomore ... saw action in all 13 games ... totaled six tackles on the season ... recorded a sack against Wyoming.



FRESHMAN - (2008): Earned letterman honors as a redshirt freshman ... saw action in 12 games ... totaled 27 tackles on the season, including 17 solo takedowns ... recorded three tackles for a combined loss of 16 yards ... had sacks against Utah State and UNLV ... picked off an interception against UCLA and returned it for nine yards ... also had three pass breakups, two quarterback hurries and one forced fumble.



REDSHIRT - (2007): Redshirted his freshman year.





I personally think Putnam could be awesome. He seems very athletic and could wreak havoc on a fat left tackle.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.