Archived Topic

BYU @ UMass, carried on FloSports on Roku

by Fido · 11/15/2019

Advertisement
F
Fido
I checked into this to put a plan together for watching this game. I expected that I could subscribe for a month like I did on ESPN+ previously--however, FloSports doesn't do a free trial that I can see--and their monthly subscription is $29.99/month or $149.99/year!



Sorry, I'm not paying $30 to watch the UMass game. If it was ESPN+ and only cost me $5/month, I'd do it. I guess I'll be listening to this one on the radio.
C
CougarCrazy
That’s silly. Hopefully BYU stops scheduling new games with UMass. I’m not going to sign up for any more subscriptions this season.



I am glad BYU is taking their time signing with ESPN if ESPN+ is part of the deal. Unless all the games are on ESPN+ because that would be cheap and easy lol.
E
EM_Puma
I'm in agreement. Don't play UMass unless the TV rights are solved so that fans don't have to pay that exorbitant of a price to watch one game. Ridiculous. I'm still hoping there is something that will come out that will solve this. Didn't they pipe the broadcast onto BYUtv last time?
F
Fido
It does look like last year's game @ UMass was also carried by BYUtv: https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2018/11/10/18072074/how-to-watch-byu-cougars-vs-umass-football-game-time-tv-schedule-live-stream-game-thread-and-more

Channel:

Eleven Sports Network, NESN and BYUtv



However, this year is different. https://fbschedules.com/flosports-nesn-to-air-umass-home-football-games-in-2019/

“We are pleased to enter into a new partnership with FloSports and extend our valuable relationship with NESN for the upcoming football season,” said UMass Director of Athletics Ryan Bamford. “Flo has been innovative in the digital space and NESN continues to be a regional leader in professional and college sports coverage. This multi-dimensional partnership to produce and distribute UMass football games aligns perfectly with our broadcast strategies to gain maximum visibility for our growing FBS program. It will guarantee that Minutemen fans can watch Coach Bell’s team from various platforms when they can’t be at McGuirk Alumni Stadium this season.”



Eleven Sports Network (last year's nationwide provider) has a cable channel on some distributions like DirecTV and Verizon Fios and then some streaming on devices like PlayStation Vue or Twitch.tv. So selling rights to BYUtv was something that could be worked out.



This year though, FloSports has all of UMass football games and has nationwide streaming so I doubt they are motivated to have BYU fans avoid the 1 month fee and broadcast on BYUtv nationwide/internationally. It's good for UMass to have broadcast of all their home games, but not good for opponents only interested in a single game with a high pay-per-view-type monthly fee.



The good news in all this is after this year's game, the 4 game series is over. I'd rather see a school like Liberty make appearances on the schedule going forward rather than UMass with how their program is trending.
S
snoscythe
I'll just watch the game vicariously through Twitter.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
snoscythe wrote:

I'll just watch the game vicariously through Twitter.


I will just watch vicariously through the CougarCorner game thread.
E
EM_Puma
Well that would all suck. I don't know if I'd pay $30 to watch one game. I might, but I don't like us being in that kind of a relationship and I say don't schedule them any more.
S
snoscythe
EM_Puma wrote:

Well that would all suck. I don't know if I'd pay $30 to watch one game.


Thing is, for UMASS I wouldn't pay $30 to go to the game, much less deal with "Flo"



https://66.media.tumblr.com/6a1e45cf645f0e54f9292bc0d5f424d0/tumblr_pujh1lUMQk1yqlis1o1_400.gifv" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
snoscythe wrote:


Well that would all suck. I don't know if I'd pay $30 to watch one game.


Thing is, for UMASS I wouldn't pay $30 to go to the game, much less deal with "Flo"



https://66.media.tumblr.com/6a1e45cf645f0e54f9292bc0d5f424d0/tumblr_pujh1lUMQk1yqlis1o1_400.gifv" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Hey, I'm paying $80 today to see ISU, so I guess there is just something wrong with me. If I didn't have the money and it was between new shoes for a kid and a game, yeah, but that's not where I am these days and I pay a bit of foolish money.



Here's what's been really interesting this week. So I haven't attended a game all season and since it's senior day, I thought I'd like to continue my streak of at least one game a year. I like to negotiate and get good prices. What shocked the heck out of me was how many west side Cougar fans were willing to sell their tickets for this game, but for them to sell them for less than they paid for them on paper, was really, really hard. I approached a Legacy fan for his 4 tickets. On each of his tickets was stamped the price of $200 each and I offered something significantly less ($50 each) and you would have thought that I'd asked for his first born son. I told him this was ISU. They'd need to take me away to the funny farm if I paid more than that for a game against ISU. He said he'd give them to his family first. I told I agreed with him and he should.



I ended up offering six individuals for their tickets at between $35-50 for really good tickets and all but one hedged. So I had offered someone selling their pair of tickets for $100 (well below cost as they pointed out) $60. They countered with $90 for the pair and I told him I couldn't in good conscience pay more that $80 for the pair because I was going to see ISU. He capitulated.



Funny thing, two of the other guys, one the guy that would give them to his kids before he'd sell them for $0.25 on the dollar, contacted me late last night and wanted to accept my offer.



Because there was a price stamped on those tickets it just psychologically made it hard for them to sell the tickets for below sticker price. Their minds could not get around the fact that their season ticket packet included home games against Utah, USC, Boise St and Washington. That was why the tickets were $200/piece, never because singularly ISU was worth $200, but it was so hard for them to not believe they were being stung to sell these tickets for less.
S
scott715
Human nature is that we do not want to lose. Same in the stock market. Hold on to your shares and hope it comes back where you can get out at even.
Advertisement
F
Fido
If I have tickets like that and someone tries to low ball me I just sit on the tickets and don't use them rather than have someone screw me on the price like that. Or give them away to someone who might not go otherwise. That's just my feelings on it. I don't ever buy season tickets with the expectation that I won't attend and will just resell them.

Bargain hunters are the worst. We were doing a cancer fundraiser and a company donated a bunch of laundry detergent which were assigned a fixed price for the yard sale-style fundraiser. People were coming in haggling to get $1 or 2 cheaper if they bought more than one. 1) its a product you would pay more for in any store you go to and 2) its a cancer fundraiser for heaven's sake. SMH...
F
Fido
Ok, I must have been on a wrong link before--or maybe it is because I was looking at the whole channel price--but it is $19.99/month to get Flo Football. $10 less than I said at the opening, but still a chunk of change. I might do $20 though.....we'll see.
A
a1247
EM_Puma wrote:


EM_Puma wrote:

Well that would all suck. I don't know if I'd pay $30 to watch one game.


Thing is, for UMASS I wouldn't pay $30 to go to the game, much less deal with "Flo"



https://66.media.tumblr.com/6a1e45cf645f0e54f9292bc0d5f424d0/tumblr_pujh1lUMQk1yqlis1o1_400.gifv" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Hey, I'm paying $80 today to see ISU, so I guess there is just something wrong with me. If I didn't have the money and it was between new shoes for a kid and a game, yeah, but that's not where I am these days and I pay a bit of foolish money.



Here's what's been really interesting this week. So I haven't attended a game all season and since it's senior day, I thought I'd like to continue my streak of at least one game a year. I like to negotiate and get good prices. What shocked the heck out of me was how many west side Cougar fans were willing to sell their tickets for this game, but for them to sell them for less than they paid for them on paper, was really, really hard. I approached a Legacy fan for his 4 tickets. On each of his tickets was stamped the price of $200 each and I offered something significantly less ($50 each) and you would have thought that I'd asked for his first born son. I told him this was ISU. They'd need to take me away to the funny farm if I paid more than that for a game against ISU. He said he'd give them to his family first. I told I agreed with him and he should.



I ended up offering six individuals for their tickets at between $35-50 for really good tickets and all but one hedged. So I had offered someone selling their pair of tickets for $100 (well below cost as they pointed out) $60. They countered with $90 for the pair and I told him I couldn't in good conscience pay more that $80 for the pair because I was going to see ISU. He capitulated.



Funny thing, two of the other guys, one the guy that would give them to his kids before he'd sell them for $0.25 on the dollar, contacted me late last night and wanted to accept my offer.



Because there was a price stamped on those tickets it just psychologically made it hard for them to sell the tickets for below sticker price. Their minds could not get around the fact that their season ticket packet included home games against Utah, USC, Boise St and Washington. That was why the tickets were $200/piece, never because singularly ISU was worth $200, but it was so hard for them to not believe they were being stung to sell these tickets for less.


Last week against Liberty I got my son and I 2 tickets, row 2 section 9 for 35$ each on stub hub. The original price was 175$ a piece. When I had season tickets before I never had an issue giving them away once my son started playing fall baseball and I couldn't go to the game. I would rather give them away but if someone offered me money for the tickets and I couldn't go I had no problem selling them for less then I paid. But this is also why I no longer have season tickets. For me it's better to go to one or two games a year then to get season tickets and then try and figure out how to get rid of them when I can't go to the games.
E
EM_Puma
At the last minute, my granddaughter wanted to go with her dad and I, so we suddenly needed an additional ticket. We imagined we'd be able to buy a cheap ticket for this ISU game and be able to find something near us to enable us 3 to sit together (she's only 9). I went to the usual place where traditionally there was always a scalper selling tickets and there were none. So I went to the 2nd place and there were two. One person wanted the actual $46 his ticket had cost and the other wanted $20. At this point, 45 minutes before the game started, I wasn't going to pay more than $10 and I hoped for about $5. I stood there at the corner for about 5 minutes, no one additional came, so I went up to the ticket window and bought a $10 ticket for somewhere in the back 40 of one of the end zones (I never actually looked where the ticket seat was).



I was right. My granddaughter sat with us. We had to adjust down the row and then, they eventually were right behind me, but these were just the old bench seats that they have put permanent chairs on. We were on the 22 yard line, 32 rows up. Good view of the game, but since the seats were the old fashion benches with absolutely no leg room, my knees were digging into the seat ahead of me. I had pre-game imagined the seats I had purchased would at least have the blue roomy chairs with a cup holder. Nope. I believe at full price my tickets were normally $125 each. I'd never pay that for such uncomfortable accommodations. They need to get rid of the benches and put in all the blue seats. Really. A no-brainer.



At half, we went and got refreshments, I checked out the new additions that enable fans to move from the upper concourses around the corners without having to go all the way down. Yes, that was a great improvement. Kudos. Heading back to our seats, I decided, why not find even better seats. We ended up on the 50-yard line, 1 row down from the upper concourse in the nice roomier seats with a cup holder. It was a great day for half-way through November.
E
EM_Puma
One other item. I had remembered that the KSL broadcast used to be like 7 seconds off from the live action. Not optimum, but I still opted to do it to hear the commentary from Greg Wrubell and get insights into what was going on.



For some reason the delay has increased and was a full play behind. Anyone know what that was all about? Is there a way to hear, via a smart phone, a broadcast of the game that is closer to the live action? That situation was disappointing.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
One last rant (for this morning). I'd like someone to do a psychological study of why BYU fans come late to athletic contests. We had people arriving to their seats around us well into the 2nd quarter. Why? I've seen this over and over again. Are they really so foolish that they don't understand that driving to the game in the last hour that they will assuredly encounter traffic that will make them late?



I...I...I just can't put my finger on it as to what that is all about. It was a 1 pm game. What is so hard for these people to get there on time? Someone help me on this one because there is nothing logical that I can rest on to understand this situation and it has happened all the 19 years I've lived again in Utah and attended BYU sporting events. It's just like most families do for Church on Sunday.
G
Guest
If you're streaming the KSL radio feed it will be delayed, because the broadcast has to be captured, digitized, and then pushed out over the internet. That's why when I attend the games I take a cheap little FM radio that I can tune to 102.7. The timing difference is night and day.
E
EM_Puma
hawkwing wrote:

If you're streaming the KSL radio feed it will be delayed, because the broadcast has to be captured, digitized, and then pushed out over the internet. That's why when I attend the games I take a cheap little FM radio that I can tune to 102.7. The timing difference is night and day.


That's what I did forever, but now some years into a smart phone and great wifi access at LES, I didn't pursue that option, but I believe I would next time. It would be night and day.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.