Archived Topic

SUU circled on calendar?

by EM_Puma · 11/12/2019

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
https://www.ksl.com/article/46672064/no-time-off-after-upsetting-nebraska-suu-basketball-back-on-road-at-byu



I had to laugh at this comment from SUU's Cameron Oluyitan: "“I’m definitely expecting a hostile crowd, and a Utah rivalry. I know both teams have this game circled on their calendar,” Oluyitan said. “It will be big-time.



Uh...No. I hadn't even remembered they were on our schedule until I went yesterday on KSL Classified looking for some tickets for game Saturday. It was like, "Oh, we're playing SUU. Huh."



I was shocked to read in the article that they upset Nebraska Saturday, so this will not be a cake walk as it usually might be expected.
B
byufan4ever
Even with that win KenPom has them at #198. Nebraska is 0-2 so far so maybe it wasn't that great of a win. We shouldn't take any team lightly but this should be a no contest.
S
snoscythe
If BYU has it circled, it's only to make sure players remember it's game day and don't forget to get dressed in time.
B
BoiseBYU
This is one ugly game. I almost feel like I need to go talk to my Bishop
G
Gunk
Eeeshh...we have no size and seem to have forgotten the most basic rule of defense: stop ball.



SUU can only make layups and we're giving them layups.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
It's good we have Toolson or we would have lost to SUU.
E
EM_Puma
Wow, that was a pathetic effort on behalf of BYU. So many SUU drives to the bucket. I guess I expected a Mark Pope team to be better defensively than they were.



Yes, Toolson helped in the win, but he wasn't spectacular either, shooting 38% from the field. The whole team only shooting 36.4% was poor and Dalton Nixon...you cannot miss both free throws with the game on the line. He was our only player anywhere near a double/double, but you CAN NOT MISS TWO KEY FREE THROWS IN A ROW when the game is on the line. That's the bottom line.



I'm very disappointed that as a team we only hit 70% on our free throws. We need to be better than that. Seljaas as well is in the dog house. In 20 minutes of play, he scored only 4 points on 25% shooting, missed his 2 3-pt shots and only had 3 rebounds. While Conner Harding, playing 2 more minutes, but only took 2 shots and sunk them both (one a 3 pointer) and had 6 rebounds to go along with his 4 points.



An unusual night when your opponent's bench outscores their starters 35-28. That SUU team is good. Not great, but definitely a contender in the Big Sky.
B
byufan4ever
We very well might lose the next 5 games which are all on the road...
E
EM_Puma
byufan4ever wrote:

We very well might lose the next 5 games which are all on the road...


Exactly. I have no confidence in this team. While we should be able to get at least one win, it's more based on "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes."



Man are we fortunate that Yoelli will be here for conference games.



It really pisses me off that our two requests for Harward and Lowell from the NCAA haven't been answered. Geez NCAA, get your fat padded natural cushions off your chairs and get to work. I'm sure it's a negative, but it would at least be nice to know one way or the other.



BYU needs to seek legal counsel on this whole Yoelli situation. How Chase Young can receive $11K to his family to help them move and only get dinged for 2 games and Yoelli Childs can make a paperwork error and be slammed for 9 games is totally ridiculous and it's just as ridiculous that we don't do something legal about it. They are not treating entities on the same basis and I don't think it would be that difficult to find some legal recourse like most schools do in these situations. Like, what are we going to do, piss off the NCAA any more? They've punished us more severely for self-reporting issues than any other school and we do nothing. If we're going to be a member of the NCAA, then let's start sticking up for our rights. It would only take a half-brained judge a few minutes to see that their practices are not close to being equal. It seems that there should be some tort effort that can be invoked.
B
byufan4ever
EM_Puma wrote:


We very well might lose the next 5 games which are all on the road...


Exactly. I have no confidence in this team. While we should be able to get at least one win, it's more based on "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes."



Man are we fortunate that Yoelli will be here for conference games.



It really pisses me off that our two requests for Harward and Lowell from the NCAA haven't been answered. Geez NCAA, get your fat padded natural cushions off your chairs and get to work. I'm sure it's a negative, but it would at least be nice to know one way or the other.



BYU needs to seek legal counsel on this whole Yoelli situation. How Chase Young can receive $11K to his family to help them move and only get dinged for 2 games and Yoelli Childs can make a paperwork error and be slammed for 9 games is totally ridiculous and it's just as ridiculous that we don't do something legal about it. They are not treating entities on the same basis and I don't think it would be that difficult to find some legal recourse like most schools do in these situations. Like, what are we going to do, piss off the NCAA any more? They've punished us more severely for self-reporting issues than any other school and we do nothing. If we're going to be a member of the NCAA, then let's start sticking up for our rights. It would only take a half-brained judge a few minutes to see that their practices are not close to being equal. It seems that there should be some tort effort that can be invoked.


Yeah, I really hate the NCAA as an orginization. It's so corrupt. I kinda love how Memphis is sticking their middle finger to the NCAA even if I think it was wrong what they did.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.