Archived Topic

2010 TE's

by BigCougsFan · 2/13/2010

Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
BYU has always been great with TE's. I'm checking out BYU website with their somewhat updated roster and I'm not seeing very many. We landed some highly recruited TE's these past few years, but now show they have switched positions, like...

In 2010:

Bryan Sampson isn't labeled on BYU's roster, so I can only assume he's going on a mission first???



In 2009:

Richard Wilson(highly recruited at 9th TE nationally) switched to LB

Remington Peck switched to DL

Thomas Bryson switched to DL



In 2007:

Devin Mahina just returned from his mission, who's labeled at a TE/DE

Braden Brown switched to OL

Kaneakua Friel I haven't heard anything from him since his verbal. Is he on a mission or did he never signed on with BYU???



In 2005:

Vic So'oto switched to DL



Those are who we signed on who were labeled a TE at the time. On BYU's roster we only have these who are labeled as TE's...



Matthew Edwards a Jr. at 6'3" and 206 lbs.

Devin Mahina a Fr. at 6'6" and 225 lbs.(return missionary as mentioned)

Mike Muehlmann a Fr. at 6'4" and 227 lbs.



That's all I saw. I'm I missing someone cause this looks like we are depleted in the TE department. Why did Richard Wilson and Remington Peck switch positions??? I thought we were now loaded at LB's???
C
cougfan1
I am guessing Wilson may be switching back to TE
G
gmj81
Wilson has definitely moved back to TE after the LB experiment. He and Muehlmann have apparently looked good so far.



Throw in Mahina, Holt, and Sampson and we'll have a bunch of talented competition for the job just like at QB. I'm confidant whoever comes out on top will be a great player for us this year and think all will eventually see significant time in the future. But given the inexperience at TE and the abundance at WR, we likely won't be running very many double TE sets.



Friel went on a mission but will be back for 2011 I think. He turned out to be a real find and should be a solid player for us in the future.
B
BigCougsFan
gmj81 wrote:
Throw in Mahina, Holt, and Sampson and we'll have a bunch of talented competition for the job just like at QB.


That's right... I missed out on Austin Holt coming back from his mission. I don't know how I missed him. He was ranked the 5th best TE in the nation(according to Scout.com). He kinda reminds me a little bit of Pitta to a degree.
B
BigCougsFan
Were there any rumors/news of Marcus Mathews swiching to TE? He's has the height for it at 6'4", but could put on more lbs. to his 200 lbs. frame. Especially with us being loaded at WR as it is.
Advertisement
M
Mars
gmj81 wrote:
Friel went on a mission but will be back for 2011 I think. He turned out to be a real find and should be a solid player for us in the future.

Friel surprised as a true freshman. Despite being so young, he looked pretty dang good. Great blocking skills.
S
Short_Change
BigCougsFan wrote:
Throw in Mahina, Holt, and Sampson and we'll have a bunch of talented competition for the job just like at QB.


That's right... I missed out on Austin Holt coming back from his mission. I don't know how I missed him. He was ranked the 5th best TE in the nation(according to Scout.com). He kinda reminds me a little bit of Pitta to a degree.


I was actually thinking he reminded me more of George.
B
BigCougsFan
Short_Change wrote:
I was actually thinking he reminded me more of George.


That's no dis on George either! He was phenominal for the Cougars. Too bad Pitta and George came in at the same time where Pitta was noticed first and become the go to TE. George was just as great.



What I liked about George was he would run after the catch if an opponent was near. Pitta would secure the ball and drop to the ground if anyone was near on quite a few occasions.



Either way... Our next TE's have big shoes to fill!
M
Mars
BigCougsFan wrote:
Pitta would secure the ball and drop to the ground if anyone was near on quite a few occasions.

Only as a senior. After his knee injury against Air Force his junior year, he didn't want to go into the NFL combine hurt like Harline did.
B
BigCougsFan
Mars wrote:
Only as a senior. After his knee injury against Air Force his junior year, he didn't want to go into the NFL combine hurt like Harline did.


Makes sense. I would do the same thing too.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Mars



I'm gonna keep this short for you: RE Pitta -



U gotta B Kidding Me! I suggest U guys introduce yourselves to Pitta, the pride of Moorpark High, where my 3rd son attended 9th grade with Pitta - and tell him that you think he laid down every time he thought he might get hit, so he would be healthy for the combine. There are other reasons for ball security: Experienced players know that taking care of the ball is paramount - especially in close games.



Hopefully Chambers increased experience will have him tuck the ball and go down when that is the appropriate thing to do next year and, if so, he will be great in 2010.



Go Cougs
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.