Archived Topic

Utah Drops BYU in 22/23

by byufan4ever · 9/23/2019

Advertisement
G
Gunk
Haha!



Not much of a rivalry when they beat their rival almost 10 years in a row.



If I am Utah, it's time to move on and not be defined by a lop sided "rivalry."
K
KingCoug
Maybe they're just tired of the auto-W?



Still hoping the Gators destroy them. Better still, if we're lucky, maybe the :utard: plane will go down on the way to Gainsville. :evil:
A
a1247
I wouldn't mind seeing them cancel all the games.
S
SpiffCoug
In return, we should cancel all games in all sports.



At a minimum, I would not renew any contract in any sport with the University of Utah.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Why didn't the stinkin' Utes just drop Southern Utah or San Diego St in 2022 or Weber St in 2023?
B
byufan4ever
But we beat them in most other sports, right? It's mostly just football that they have dominated us in. It actually will make the First Deseret Duel that much more of a given for us since football was worth 5 points and the other sports all worth 3 points.
F
frdbtr
I couldn't care less what the utes do. I would like to see a victory before then though, but I won't see it under this staff so we may not see one at all.
B
byufan4ever
I just read the BYU press release on this and I have to say that I'm really disappointed that we rolled over and did the Utes a favor to "jointly" take this two year break but also add four more games. I would have stuck it to the Utes and said pay us the cancellation fee (hopefully there was one and it was substantial) and if they threatened to cancel the entire series I would have said fine.
F
Fido
The whole story is dropped 2 games in 2022 and 2023, kept the 2024 game, and added 4 new games in 2025, 2026, 2027, and 2028.



And really if you look at those 2022 and 2023 years there are good P5 games both at home and on the road in spite of dropping Utah both seasons:

2022: Baylor, Arkansas, @ Oregon, @ Stanford

2023: Tennessee, Stanford, @ Virginia, @ Arkansas, @ USC
Advertisement
N
nuk13
SpiffCoug wrote:

In return, we should cancel all games in all sports.



At a minimum, I would not renew any contract in any sport with the University of Utah.

We are doing a lot better in basketball so I'd like to keep those games.
E
EM_Puma
Good riddance. Don't let the door hit ya...
S
snoscythe
Welp, at least the worst case scenario is now a 11-game losing streak going into 2024 instead of a 13-game slide.



https://i.makeagif.com/media/3-19-2018/iMxtDo.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Commoner
This will likely happen again. Power conference teams are making an effort to schedule more power conference teams for their OOC games.



In a few years, most P5s will be playing 10 power conference games, and in some cases, more.
S
SpiffCoug
I thought it was interesting that Holmoe mentioned he agreed to this to keep a good relationship and that maybe there will come a day when BYU needs Utah to repay the favor.



My first thought was, "yeah, right. Utah will never repay such a favor and will never be flexible to a BYU need."
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:

I thought it was interesting that Holmoe mentioned he agreed to this to keep a good relationship and that maybe there will come a day when BYU needs Utah to repay the favor.



My first thought was, "yeah, right. Utah will never repay such a favor and will never be flexible to a BYU need."


I agree. The utes take pleasure in poking BYU in the eye whenever possible. Maybe with Chris Hill gone, that has changed but I doubt it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.