Archived Topic

BYU 1984 Team #146 Best Ever

by byufan4ever · 9/10/2019

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history



In article "The 150 greatest teams in college football's 150-year history."


The panel of 150 media members, athletic administrators and former players and coaches selected these teams from 210 finalists initially identified by ESPN's Stats & Information group.


I'm sure BYU fans will be upset that our undefeated championship team only ranked as the #146 best team ever. I wasn't expecting that team to be top 25 all time but wow I had to scroll down a lot further than I thought I would to find them. At the end of the day it's another meaningless poll so it doesn't really bother me.
A
ABYUFAN
No way that team should finish behind Boise State, And I don't think that they seriously looked at the talent that BYU had on that team, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it
B
BroncoBot
byufan4ever wrote:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history



In article "The 150 greatest teams in college football's 150-year history."


The panel of 150 media members, athletic administrators and former players and coaches selected these teams from 210 finalists initially identified by ESPN's Stats & Information group.


I'm sure BYU fans will be upset that our undefeated championship team only ranked as the #146 best team ever. I wasn't expecting that team to be top 25 all time but wow I had to scroll down a lot further than I thought I would to find them. At the end of the day it's another meaningless poll so it doesn't really bother me.

Maybe I'm biased since I don't remember 84, but I think the 96 team was better. Dang Washington.
J
Jarhead
The description they have for that BYU team is pretty awful.
F
frdbtr
BroncoBot wrote:


https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history



In article "The 150 greatest teams in college football's 150-year history."


The panel of 150 media members, athletic administrators and former players and coaches selected these teams from 210 finalists initially identified by ESPN's Stats & Information group.


I'm sure BYU fans will be upset that our undefeated championship team only ranked as the #146 best team ever. I wasn't expecting that team to be top 25 all time but wow I had to scroll down a lot further than I thought I would to find them. At the end of the day it's another meaningless poll so it doesn't really bother me.

Maybe I'm biased since I don't remember 84, but I think the 96 team was better. Dang Washington.


I don't blame Washington for that loss, I blame BYU. Ed Kehl on that team admitted that they took Washington lightly and it bit them.
Advertisement
G
Guest
146. 1984 BYU (13-0)

Titles: AP, USA/CNN, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Coach: LaVell Edwards

Led by: QB Robbie Bosco, RB Vai Sikahema

What to know: In a season in which only three schools had fewer than two losses, the Cougars, who began the season unranked, finished No. 1 because they had none. Washington (11-1) lost late, and Florida (9-1-1), on NCAA probation, didn't play in a bowl game. BYU had the offensive goods, leading the nation in total offense and passing offense.
G
Guest
None of the Utah Utes teams made the list.
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:


byufan4ever wrote:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history



In article "The 150 greatest teams in college football's 150-year history."


The panel of 150 media members, athletic administrators and former players and coaches selected these teams from 210 finalists initially identified by ESPN's Stats & Information group.


I'm sure BYU fans will be upset that our undefeated championship team only ranked as the #146 best team ever. I wasn't expecting that team to be top 25 all time but wow I had to scroll down a lot further than I thought I would to find them. At the end of the day it's another meaningless poll so it doesn't really bother me.

Maybe I'm biased since I don't remember 84, but I think the 96 team was better. Dang Washington.


I don't blame Washington for that loss, I blame BYU. Ed Kehl on that team admitted that they took Washington lightly and it bit them.

As a young kid I was physically ill after that game. My mental and physical fortitude for BYU losses has been greatly increased as the years have gone by.
V
vancouvercougar
Jarhead wrote:

The description they have for that BYU team is pretty awful.


The descriptions from the press back in 1984 were awful too. It seemed that the entire country (except cougar fans) were angry that BYU was crowned national champions.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.