Archived Topic

Interesting Admission Coming from NCAA-Emery Case

by snoscythe · 9/5/2019

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I don't know if anyone has pointed this factoid out before, but I stumbled across it today while reviewing the original Nov 2018 NCAA decision.



In a footnote on page 14 they discuss the sanction of reducing the number of official visits that the program can make from 2017-2020. In that footnote is a startling admission by BYU Basketball:


NCAA decision wrote:
BYU informed the panel that it had only used one official visit during the 2017-18 academic year.


Whoa. If that's the extent of recruiting that Rose was doing, he was a few years too late in retiring.
B
BroncoBot
lol. why tell the NCAA that?? Is there anything BYU isn't willing to just offer up to the NCAA?
E
EM_Puma
Because everyone else must have come on "unofficial" visits, as is common. I don't think I'd put too much stock on that as to be "telling" of DR not recruiting effectively. There would be no reason, if an official visit was in order, that DR wouldn't have pulled the trigger.
S
snoscythe
EM_Puma wrote:

Because everyone else must have come on "unofficial" visits, as is common. I don't think I'd put too much stock on that as to be "telling" of DR not recruiting effectively. There would be no reason, if an official visit was in order, that DR wouldn't have pulled the trigger.


Yeah, but the difference is more than that:



Official Visits

Transportation to/from/during visit may be paid for by the college

College can pay for lodging for athletes and parents

College can pay for or provide three meals per day for athletes and parents

College can pay for "reasonable entertainment expenses"

College can provide three tickets to a home sports event



Unofficial Visits

The only thing the college can provide is up to three tickets to a home sports event--everything else must be paid for by the student and/or their parents





To think that during an entire recruiting cycle the Basketball program only rolled out the royal blue carpet for one recruit is mind-bottling.
G
Gunk
I think that is telling.



Instead of attempting to woe a recruit we took them Chuck a Rama.



BYU/DR were probably like, if we have to woe a player that means they are spoiled or don't buy into the BYU mission.
Advertisement
B
BlueK
Probably reading too much into it. How many scholarships were available that year? It seems that was in the middle of the scholarship crunch.
E
EM_Puma
BlueK wrote:

Probably reading too much into it. How many scholarships were available that year? It seems that was in the middle of the scholarship crunch.


That's kind of what I was indicating. I don't view DR as a fool whatsoever and if he needed to use an official visit, there is no way he wouldn't have done it. Why wouldn't he? Doesn't make sense unless you imagine the scholie crunch that was probably affecting that moment.
S
snoscythe
EM_Puma wrote:


Probably reading too much into it. How many scholarships were available that year? It seems that was in the middle of the scholarship crunch.


That's kind of what I was indicating. I don't view DR as a fool whatsoever and if he needed to use an official visit, there is no way he wouldn't have done it. Why wouldn't he? Doesn't make sense unless you imagine the scholie crunch that was probably affecting that moment.


There's a two-year recruiting window. Coaches can recruit juniors and seniors -- this means that BYU only had one official visit during a one-year span in which they would be recruiting for both the 2018 and 2019 graduating classes.



That's just one kid for two graduating classes they thought enough of to buy him a dinner while he was in town.



I can't believe our "scholarship crunch" was that dire.
G
Guest
If you have 3 spots, you should probably be wining and dining 10 kids.
G
Gunk
A coach should always be wining and dining players even in a scholarship crunch. A coach should always be trying to get better players on the team.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.