Archived Topic

At what point...

by snoscythe · 8/30/2019

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
...would you be willing to take Ken Niumatalolo as BYU's head coach?
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:

...would you be willing to take Ken Niumatalolo as BYU's head coach?


I would have taken him before this debacle along with his offense.
G
Gunk
Yes. A head coach that has successfully been a head coach already? Absolutely, yes.



I'd rather win than lose in style.
K
KingCoug
snoscythe wrote:

...would you be willing to take Ken Niumatalolo as BYU's head coach?


He was my second choice after Anderson.
C
CougarCrazy
I would not. I’d need to try a proven coach running a normal system. BYU is trying to provide on the job training for OCs. DC is still the coaches BFF.



They are killing their program, so maybe they will loosen things up and pay proven coaches now.



Ty’Son Williams looked like the real deal and they did not take advantage of that. No willingness to gamble on D the 1st drive in the second half was telling.



I still believe a good coach could make something. Bronco level success would be great.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
CougarCrazy wrote:

I would not. I’d need to try a proven coach running a normal system. BYU is trying to provide on the job training for OCs. DC is still the coaches BFF.



They are killing their program, so maybe they will loosen things up and pay proven coaches now.



Ty’Son Williams looked like the real deal and they did not take advantage of that. No willingness to gamble on D the 1st drive in the second half was telling.



I still believe a good coach could make something. Bronco level success would be great.


Say what? I thought Bronco wasn't good enough, I thought we needed to get to the next level?!?! :roll: :whistle: :bug: :angry: (not directed at you but the entire fan base Cougarcrazy)
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:


I would not. I’d need to try a proven coach running a normal system. BYU is trying to provide on the job training for OCs. DC is still the coaches BFF.



They are killing their program, so maybe they will loosen things up and pay proven coaches now.



Ty’Son Williams looked like the real deal and they did not take advantage of that. No willingness to gamble on D the 1st drive in the second half was telling.



I still believe a good coach could make something. Bronco level success would be great.


Say what? I thought Bronco wasn't good enough, I thought we needed to get to the next level?!?! :roll: :whistle: :bug: :angry: (not directed at you but the entire fan base Cougarcrazy)


People are forgetting that Bronco was not having "Bronco-level success" after we left the Mountain West.
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:

...would you be willing to take Ken Niumatalolo as BYU's head coach?


Now. Right now.
E
EM_Puma
I don't know that I want Ken. He has head coach experience, but how able is he to adapt to something other than the run oriented offenses he's had at Navy. I don't see that as our future, but to me, any coach that loses four times in a row to your rival, his days are done.



My only caveat to saying that he should be done is if he can win 2 of the next 3, then I'd still look at that.



In total honesty, I didn't watch the game. As much as I wish I could, I just don't enjoy the anxiety of seeing us lose to Puketah. I've DVR'd the game, but I don't know yet if I will watch or not.



What is surprising me significantly is where there are individuals over at CougarBoard noting that our team looked "gassed" in the 2nd half. If that turns out to be true, then KS should be gone. That is totally on a coach to have the team prepared. I just can't see that being the case.
T
tmoney35
EM_Puma wrote:
What is surprising me significantly is where there are individuals over at CougarBoard noting that our team looked "gassed" in the 2nd half. If that turns out to be true, then KS should be gone. That is totally on a coach to have the team prepared. I just can't see that being the case.


I think came down to a couple factors. Utah must've changed the blocking scheme or something, because we kept Moss bottle up pretty well in the first half, but right out of the gate to start the third quarter he started running all over us no problem. I would blame scheme more than stamina (though that's still a coaching problem).



Then the offense couldn't sustain a drive. Punt, then fumble. I think we had like 2 minutes of possession in the third quarter. Then you could probably say gassed by the 4th.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
tmoney35 wrote:

What is surprising me significantly is where there are individuals over at CougarBoard noting that our team looked "gassed" in the 2nd half. If that turns out to be true, then KS should be gone. That is totally on a coach to have the team prepared. I just can't see that being the case.


I think came down to a couple factors. Utah must've changed the blocking scheme or something, because we kept Moss bottle up pretty well in the first half, but right out of the gate to start the third quarter he started running all over us no problem. I would blame scheme more than stamina (though that's still a coaching problem).



Then the offense couldn't sustain a drive. Punt, then fumble. I think we had like 2 minutes of possession in the third quarter. Then you could probably say gassed by the 4th.


Something else that Whittingham has been better at than our coaches - half time adjustments.
E
EM_Puma
tmoney35 wrote:
Then the offense couldn't sustain a drive. Punt, then fumble. I think we had like 2 minutes of possession in the third quarter. Then you could probably say gassed by the 4th.


But honestly, unless it's that we only played the starters and did no rotating. how in the world would the Pukes be in that much better shape? Doesn't make sense. We've heard all summer how our team members, among themselves, have been working out hard. These are guys in the prime of their life. How in the world would they be "gassed" in the first game of the season?
B
BroncoBot
EM_Puma wrote:

Then the offense couldn't sustain a drive. Punt, then fumble. I think we had like 2 minutes of possession in the third quarter. Then you could probably say gassed by the 4th.


But honestly, unless it's that we only played the starters and did no rotating. how in the world would the Pukes be in that much better shape? Doesn't make sense. We've heard all summer how our team members, among themselves, have been working out hard. These are guys in the prime of their life. How in the world would they be "gassed" in the first game of the season?

Working out hard does not equal "able to do any sport effectively"

Take an edurance athlete like a soccer player or cross country runner and force them to wrestle for a 3 minute round. They'll be gassed. I have no idea what the strength and conditioning program is like, but simply being in shape or lifting doesn't get you ready to play an entire game of football.
N
nuk13
I like the passing game more than the running game, but more than the passing game I like winning and the most important win of the season just became a loss for the 8th or is it the 9th time in a row. If Niumatalolo could beat Utah with the run or whatever other coaching method he'd employ I'd take him now. Nothing against our coaches now but this has gone on long enough.
B
BroncoBot
I'd need to see the cougs win out to want to give Kalani another year.
Advertisement
K
KingCoug
BroncoBot wrote:

I'd need to see the cougs win out to want to give Kalani another year.


That's what it would take for me. OK Kalani, you want to keep your job? Win the next 11 games and bowl game, finishing 12-1.



Of course, he's not up to that but I'm just saying.
A
a1247
KingCoug wrote:


I'd need to see the cougs win out to want to give Kalani another year.


That's what it would take for me. OK Kalani, you want to keep your job? Win the next 11 games and bowl game, finishing 12-1.



Of course, he's not up to that but I'm just saying.


So 10-2/9-3 and you want him gone :gross:
B
BroncoBot
after 4-9 and 7-6, loss at home to umass, niu. 4 straight losses to Utah, 3 straight losses to BSU, 2-1 vs USU...

yeah, I'm ok with seeing what someone else can do.

And I like the guy, too.
K
KingCoug
a1247 wrote:


BroncoBot wrote:

I'd need to see the cougs win out to want to give Kalani another year.


That's what it would take for me. OK Kalani, you want to keep your job? Win the next 11 games and bowl game, finishing 12-1.



Of course, he's not up to that but I'm just saying.


So 10-2/9-3 and you want him gone :gross:


Talk to me if we actually do win 9 or 10 games this year. That will necessitate us winning half the games against Tennessee, USC, Washington, and Boise State.
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:


I'd need to see the cougs win out to want to give Kalani another year.


That's what it would take for me. OK Kalani, you want to keep your job? Win the next 11 games and bowl game, finishing 12-1.



Of course, he's not up to that but I'm just saying.


I've felt this way since early 2017, unfortunately our AD is happy to have a lead against the utes at some point in the season in order for our HC to keep his job.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.