Archived Topic

Who’s the best Quarterback/Runningback combo in BYU history?

by scott715 · 8/20/2019

Advertisement
S
scott715
What do you think?
G
Guest
Luke Staley / Anyone
C
coachK
Steve young / Steve young
S
snoscythe
Sark/Jenkins or Heimuli/Bosco
A
ABYUFAN
I'm very tempted to go with Hill/Williams. They're both in the NFL and with competent coaching that could have been a special season.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Who were the QBs with Matt Bellini and Todd Christensen?
S
snoscythe
scott715 wrote:

Who were the QBs with Matt Bellini and Todd Christensen?




It was Giff Nielsen for Christensen.



It was Covey/Detmer with Bellini.
N
nuk13
Pete Vanvalkingberg (sp) was the leading rusher in his day but I don't remember the QB. If it was Virgil Carter they ought to make the list.
F
frdbtr
with respect to Hill and Williams, it has to be Staley and Doman. That combo averaged 50pts per game. Hill/Williams never even approached that.
S
scott715
Pete V was the QB.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
frdbtr wrote:

with respect to Hill and Williams, it has to be Staley and Doman. That combo averaged 50pts per game. Hill/Williams never even approached that.


Doman/Staley averaged 37.5 ppg in games where Staley was the starting RB.



Heimuli/Bosco averaged 35 ppg.



Sarkisian/Jenkins averaged 39 ppg.
A
ABYUFAN
frdbtr wrote:

with respect to Hill and Williams, it has to be Staley and Doman. That combo averaged 50pts per game. Hill/Williams never even approached that.


It is possible that Hill Williams were the victim of worse coaching than Staley and Doman had. The question was "best" not "best coached"
V
vancouvercougar
Both Hill and Williams are still playing football. Hill / Williams gets my vote
F
frdbtr
ABYUFAN wrote:


with respect to Hill and Williams, it has to be Staley and Doman. That combo averaged 50pts per game. Hill/Williams never even approached that.


It is possible that Hill Williams were the victim of worse coaching than Staley and Doman had. The question was "best" not "best coached"


I was talking results not potential. I think Hill/Williams were some of the most explosive players BYU has ever had. Doman/Staley averaged almost 50 points per game. I am pretty sure they were the highest average scoring offense in BYU history. I may be remembering wrong though and the Mcmahon lead offense was slightly higher.
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:


with respect to Hill and Williams, it has to be Staley and Doman. That combo averaged 50pts per game. Hill/Williams never even approached that.


Doman/Staley averaged 37.5 ppg in games where Staley was the starting RB.



Heimuli/Bosco averaged 35 ppg.



Sarkisian/Jenkins averaged 39 ppg.


The 2001 offense averaged 46.8 points per game which was the only year Doman and Staley started together. I guess you could count the final 2 games of the 2000 season but I am not sure if Staley even started those 2 games. the 46.8 includes at least 2 games where Staley didn't play where the offense did practically nothing so technically, those shouldn't count which would actually raise their average.



So I went back and did some research and Doman started the last 2 games of the 2000 season, he also started every game in 2001 but Staley missed the New mexico game and then his season ended at the end of the Miss State game so he missed 3 games in 2001. If you add up the point totals for the 13 games that Doman and Staley both started, that comes out to an average of 46.9 points per game. I am not sure where you got your numbers from.



Plus I don't even know how you can credit the 96 offense to Sark and Jenkins because the featured back in 96 was Brian McKenzie.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
frdbtr wrote:


frdbtr wrote:

with respect to Hill and Williams, it has to be Staley and Doman. That combo averaged 50pts per game. Hill/Williams never even approached that.


Doman/Staley averaged 37.5 ppg in games where Staley was the starting RB.



Heimuli/Bosco averaged 35 ppg.



Sarkisian/Jenkins averaged 39 ppg.

I am not sure where you got your numbers from.




Easy--a text to my son who is home "sick" (emphasis on air quotes) during his first week of school asking him to run down some numbers for me instead of Netflix and Ill.



It's evidently not an infallible system. :whistle:
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:


snoscythe wrote:


with respect to Hill and Williams, it has to be Staley and Doman. That combo averaged 50pts per game. Hill/Williams never even approached that.


Doman/Staley averaged 37.5 ppg in games where Staley was the starting RB.



Heimuli/Bosco averaged 35 ppg.



Sarkisian/Jenkins averaged 39 ppg.

I am not sure where you got your numbers from.




Easy--a text to my son who is home "sick" (emphasis on air quotes) during his first week of school asking him to run down some numbers for me instead of Netflix and Ill.



It's evidently not an infallible system. :whistle:


I can see the flaw ;) :D
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.