Archived Topic

Utah game ... more of the same?

by cougarapologist · 8/14/2019

Advertisement
C
cougarapologist
Just listened to Seattle sports radio previewing the Pac-12 season. They are very high on Utah as a real contender in the conference. Their discussion of the Utes defensively and offensively has me extremely frightened for our opening game!



Someone talk me off the ledge and tell me why BYU has a shot in this one, please!!
S
SpiffCoug
Scoot over! I need some room on the ledge next to you!
S
scott715
Yet the PAC is the least of the P5 conferences, so they might be the best of a mediocre conference.
E
EM_Puma
cougarapologist wrote:

Just listened to Seattle sports radio previewing the Pac-12 season. They are very high on Utah as a real contender in the conference. Their discussion of the Utes defensively and offensively has me extremely frightened for our opening game!



Someone talk me off the ledge and tell me why BYU has a shot in this one, please!!


After what I've seen of the BYU games the last umpteen years, I have no expectation of a win. I don't know what happened to our boys, but something did that started them in a spiral that they can't seem to get out of. On paper the Pukes have a better team this year, so I don't know why anyone thinks we'll win.



Can it happen? Yes, but doubtful.
Advertisement
M
mtnradio
Sorry ... I can't talk you off the ledge either.



I come into the season expecting 0-4 ... if it's better than that I'll be jazzed! But, it can't be worse than that!



The only thing that gives me hope against Utah is: last year. Good grief, without a complete melt-down, BYU wins walking away; and this year we have more talent. I suspect there will be some wrinkles that Utah doesn't see coming. On the flip-side, I think KS and crew know what is coming from the Ute side of the ball. If coaching is better than it has been and the players play to their potential, it could ruin my 4--week prediction in game 1. But those are big if's ...
S
snoscythe
What's changed that leads anyone to believe that results will change?
S
scott715
Hey guys we have a chance. You never know. Maybe we will get 8 turnovers. Oh wait that happened once.
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:

What's changed that leads anyone to believe that results will change?

Wilson? ;)
Advertisement
G
Guest
BroncoBot wrote:


What's changed that leads anyone to believe that results will change?

Wilson? ;)


If only we had had him last year.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I think the most valid point of what is different this year is an improved run game.



I know it won't happen and it doesn't make sense, but I would LOVE for the first 3 plays to be up the gut runs by Ty'Son (or Lopini or Esukpa, it doesn't matter), which get substantial gains against their oh-so-highly touted D-line, and get a first down that makes the statment that WE WILL RUN THROUGH YOU.



Then, when the box gets stacked, we let loose Wilson and the chunk pass plays open up and the home crowd gets thumping. :crazy:
E
EM_Puma
BroncoBot wrote:


What's changed that leads anyone to believe that results will change?

Wilson? ;)


Boy, I wish it would ride all on the shoulders of one star player, but you can't beat Puketah without a concerted effort of the whole team. I want these boys to show us they are men and can handle this. Otherwise, they're a better-than-average team that will win unexpectedly maybe once a year and I doubt it will be against the Pukes. KW know BYU and somehow can just take to us. It still hurts to have an alumni do that.
G
Gunk
We'll have a good quarter or two against Utah. Enough to get our hopes up and make the game somewhat interesting. We'll proceed to serve Utah the game on a silver platter in the 4th quarter. Utah will put up abnormal numbers on offense. Since it's the 1st game of the season, everyone will think Utah actually has an offense this year and they shoot through the rankings till mid season when they drop a few games. They'll once again finish at best 4th in the Pac12.
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Gunk wrote:

We'll have a good quarter or two against Utah. Enough to get our hopes up and make the game somewhat interesting. We'll proceed to serve Utah the game on a silver platter in the 4th quarter. Utah will put up abnormal numbers on offense. Since it's the 1st game of the season, everyone will think Utah actually has an offense this year and they shoot through the rankings till mid season when they drop a few games. They'll once again finish at best 4th in the Pac12.


In my crystal ball as one homer-biased fan perspective, I would venture to say that the 4th quarter will get special attention from coaches. I don't think they make the same mistake twice. What if there was a late game pre-scripted series with Jaren Hall? Something to throw them off balance should be a part of the plan.



I think Huntley and Moss will put up numbers but I would be willing to bet that Ghanwoloku or Zayne will get an INT at a critical moment. And someone on the d-line or linebackers will force a fumble from Moss. I think the Grimes offense will have LES shaking.



I think Utah will do well in their conference this year, but I think this year ends the curse. Cmon Cougs, ball out every play!!!
F
frdbtr
I expect this team to start 0-4 so that must include a loss to the utes......again. I'm sick of losing to them and after last year I am starting to wonder if BYU will ever figure out a way to close out a game against them.
F
frdbtr
I wonder if Tom Holmoe's favorite moment from 2019 will be another loss but moral victory against the utes.
F
frdbtr
"What BYU has to do to expose the Utes: Mixed blitzes and confusing formations.

The offensive line is going to be vulnerable in week one and the Cougars have to expose it. Whether that is by crowding the box, running blitzes or having odd formations, the defensive line has to get into the backfield and put pressure on Huntley. The BYU defensive line is BYU's best group and they need to take advantage of Utah's worst group. That is the only way that the Utes aren't going to put up a ton of points."



So unless someone taught Tuiaki about blitzes in the off season, we are screwed.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.