Archived Topic

Kalani Sitake ranked as the 82nd best football coach in NCAA

by hawkwing · 8/7/2019

Advertisement
G
Guest
What do you think, is he under ranked? Over ranked? Exactly right?



Where would you put him?



https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-head-coaches-2019




82. Kalani Sitake, BYU



Sitake is the perfect fit to lead BYU and seems to have the program back on track after a 4-9 finish in 2017. The Cougars are 20-19 under Sitake’s direction and have two winning marks over his three years in Provo. BYU finished 9-4 in 2016 and rebounded from the four-win campaign to post a 7-6 mark last season. With rising star quarterback Zach Wilson leading the way on offense, the Cougars should be poised to record their third winning record in Sitake’s tenure this fall.
A
ABYUFAN
I went with "exactly right" even though I would have preferred "about right" I'm not 100% certain on 82nd best, but I feel perfectly comfortable with 80-85th best.
G
Guest
Let it hereby be considered "exactly right" means "approximately right"
B
BroncoBot
Seems about right.

Unfortunately, BYU isn't going anywhere with the 82nd ranked coach.
M
mtnradio
82 ... is "approximately right" ... and should earn a replacement for next year, but Alas! I fear that ain't gonna happen and BYU football will slip into a permanent state of mediocrity. It sucks being the 3rd or 4th best football team in Utah.
Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
Scenarios under which Kalani keeps his job: (He stays if any of these happen):

1. Beats Utah in the opener and go 6-6 or better in the regular season. Bowl game won't matter.

2. Go 2-2 in the first 4 games and go 6-6 or better in the regular season. Bowl game won't matter.

3. Go 6-6, and win the bowl game.



A losing regular season (5-7 or worse) shows him the door, even if he beats Utah (though it would be a close call).



Not saying that's how it should be, just that's how it will be.
S
scott715
I am hoping that he has a good year and makes a significant move up the list factoring in this year's results. A few more years of data would improve the measurement.
B
byufan4ever
CrimsonCoug wrote:

Scenarios under which Kalani keeps his job: (He stays if any of these happen):

1. Beats Utah in the opener and go 6-6 or better in the regular season. Bowl game won't matter.

2. Go 2-2 in the first 4 games and go 6-6 or better in the regular season. Bowl game won't matter.

3. Go 6-6, and win the bowl game.



A losing regular season (5-7 or worse) shows him the door, even if he beats Utah (though it would be a close call).



Not saying that's how it should be, just that's how it will be.


Yeah, I believe that is probably true. I honestly want BYU and Sitake to win, but my gut says we're going to be stuck in this mediocracy or these scenarios where Sitake does just barely enough to keep his job. And I think TH's bar for Sitake is much lower than mine is.



And in unrelated news, my local high school (Stansbury Park) just hired a new head coach who went 10-40 at his previous school (Ben Lomond). What?! That's the best they could do? Now, I'm not saying that I wanted my local taxes increased so we could pay a big salary to a big time high school coach, but wow, who were the other candidates that didn't get the job?!
B
BoiseBYU
82 out of ? If it is out of 150, that’s not too good a ranking. But that can change with some wins this year.
N
nuk13
I believe he's underrated. If he uses his quarterbacks right it will pull him up.
Advertisement
G
Guest
BoiseBYU wrote:

82 out of ? If it is out of 150, that’s not too good a ranking. But that can change with some wins this year.


130
1
1967cougar
nuk13 wrote:

I believe he's underrated. If he uses his quarterbacks right it will pull him up.


Because I tend to forget bad things, my following statement may contain factual inaccuracies (although the intent of the message is obvious).



Oh, you mean like use his quarterback right like the first three quarters of the Utah game last year and then pull him back for the last quarter? that kind of "use him right?"
S
SpiffCoug
I think with a decent to good start to the season (2-2/3-1), which could lead to a good season (9-3?), and Kalani could move up that list considerably.



I fear that we have a bad to awful start to the season (1-3/0-4), which leads to a very poor season (4 wins again) and he not only find his way down the list, he finds his way off of it.
F
frdbtr
I put the "exactly/about" right for his ranking. I am a BYU cougar fan first so I hope he is underrated and shows it this year. Frankly though, I feel he is over rated and will be off the list this year. I really hope I am wrong, I am sick of seeing our players come out and look lost and confused on gameday.
M
mtnradio
I keep looking for the old "thumbs up" button ... I miss that. Hawk should do something about that ...
Advertisement
G
Guest
mtnradio wrote:

I keep looking for the old "thumbs up" button ... I miss that. Hawk should do something about that ...


I've wondered if anyone missed that feature.
S
snoscythe
IMHO, having a middling-level coach is worse than having a terrible coach.



Terrible coaches are usually identified and ousted rather quickly before a lot of organizational-level damage takes place.



Middling coaches tend to hold on long past their shelf-life with the hope that "if only .... " something turns out different this season or "if he can just ..." figure one more thing out, he can make a jump. But by the time his hand is fully played, the program is mired in the doldrums.
A
ABYUFAN
snoscythe wrote:

IMHO, having a middling-level coach is worse than having a terrible coach.



Terrible coaches are usually identified and ousted rather quickly before a lot of organizational-level damage takes place.



Middling coaches tend to hold on long past their shelf-life with the hope that "if only .... " something turns out different this season or "if he can just ..." figure one more thing out, he can make a jump. But by the time his hand is fully played, the program is mired in the doldrums.


I'm pretty sure that I agree with you on this but I wonder - was Crowton a middling coach or a terrible one?
N
nuk13
mtnradio wrote:

I keep looking for the old "thumbs up" button ... I miss that. Hawk should do something about that ...

I agree but I'm not sure I want the thumbs down. Let's keep it positive. Let's disagree without being rude.
G
Gunk
nuk13 wrote:


I keep looking for the old "thumbs up" button ... I miss that. Hawk should do something about that ...

I agree but I'm not sure I want the thumbs down. Let's keep it positive. Let's disagree without being rude.


I miss the thumbs up.



Also, until he proves otherwise, Kalani is the 82nd best college coach. I think that's accurate. He's welcome to prove me wrong. In fact, I hope he prints out 82 and hangs it on his wall as motivation.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.