G
GuestArchived Topic
Nick Emery done with basketball
by hawkwing · 7/23/2019
Advertisement
F
FidoI didn't see it coming but I'll wish him the best in his new life. It kind of makes sense with a new wife and child and at most 1 year left of college ball to step away from what was part of his tumultuous life/previous relationship before and focus on building his new family and their future. Good luck Nick!
N
nuk13This is a surprise. I have mixed emotions now and about his time at BYU. He played well a lot of the time. He must have learned lessons from the mess he got in. I wanted to say some other things but this trumps anything else. Maybe tomorrow.
S
snoscytheMy reaction?

https://troops.ai/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/meh.gif " alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFANSo if he didn't come back for 23 games BYU likely wouldn't have had to forfeit 47 wins?
I'm glad that the Nick Emery chapter of BYU basketball is over. He's clearly been more of a curse to the program than he was a blessing.
I'm glad that the Nick Emery chapter of BYU basketball is over. He's clearly been more of a curse to the program than he was a blessing.
Advertisement
E
EM_PumaI don't like this. I thought still having him would put us in a much better place than without him. Some rumored he and Toolson didn't get along. Does this have to do with that? I can't imagine a gym-rat type of guy that was so enmeshed in basketball could walk away from a senior year.
Yes, it will be good to put this chapter of BYU MBB behind us, but I don't think we're a better team without him and we need all the help we can get. Dang.
Yes, it will be good to put this chapter of BYU MBB behind us, but I don't think we're a better team without him and we need all the help we can get. Dang.
B
byufan4everYeah but now I'm like why come back at all and create the mess you did and then quit again. I really wish it had worked out for him. Best wishes to him that he can figure out his life.
He's still BYU family in my book despite all of the stones that have been cast at him.
He's still BYU family in my book despite all of the stones that have been cast at him.
E
EM_PumaDoes anyone seriously believe that with a new scholie available that Pope can sign up someone that would have given the same return as Emery? KSL is kind of asking that question, but I don't remember anyone who was added in late July that ever amounted to much. Correct me if I'm in error.
Probably better to use the scholie totally for the future then any bargain basement player. The problem is individuals that are worthy (defined as we want them/they want us and they have the grades and can live the HC) of a BYU scholarship are few and far between this time of the year.
Has Bernardo Da Silva ever signed a LOI anywhere?
Probably better to use the scholie totally for the future then any bargain basement player. The problem is individuals that are worthy (defined as we want them/they want us and they have the grades and can live the HC) of a BYU scholarship are few and far between this time of the year.
Has Bernardo Da Silva ever signed a LOI anywhere?
B
byufan4everI thought Emery wasn't on scholarship. I think we have ten players without Emery and with Blaze Nield.
This was from two months ago on VTF:
Seniors
TJ Haws - G
Jake Toolson - G
Nick Emery - G
Zac Seljaas - G/F
Dalton Nixon - F
Juniors
Richard Harward - F/C (must sit out and redshirt due to NCAA transfer rules)
Sophomores
Jesse Wade - G
Gavin Baxter - F
Kolby Lee - F/C
Connor Harding - G
Wyatt Lowell - F (Must sit out and redshirt due to NCAA transfer rules)
Freshman
Trevin Knell - G
Trey Stewart and Blaze Niel are two walk-ons who are supposed to join but Stewart is supposed to serve a mission first.
This was from two months ago on VTF:
Seniors
TJ Haws - G
Jake Toolson - G
Nick Emery - G
Zac Seljaas - G/F
Dalton Nixon - F
Juniors
Richard Harward - F/C (must sit out and redshirt due to NCAA transfer rules)
Sophomores
Jesse Wade - G
Gavin Baxter - F
Kolby Lee - F/C
Connor Harding - G
Wyatt Lowell - F (Must sit out and redshirt due to NCAA transfer rules)
Freshman
Trevin Knell - G
Trey Stewart and Blaze Niel are two walk-ons who are supposed to join but Stewart is supposed to serve a mission first.
G
GuestFinding someone at least as good as Emery has been the last few years shouldn't be challenging.
Advertisement
E
EM_Pumahawkwing wrote:
Finding someone at least as good as Emery has been the last few years shouldn't be challenging.
Nick Emery
Year 1 FG .425 3-Pt .383 FT .854
Year 2 FG .415 3-Pt .278 FT .829
Year 3 FG .390 3-Pt .355 FT .667
No one doubts that after a great freshman year, he struggled on the court in subsequent 2 years. Still, he was 2nd best 3-point shooter on the roster last season. I really felt we'd see something similar to what we had seen out of him in his freshman year.
Interesting note, McKay Cannon and Nick were 1 & 2 in 3-point % last season, but of those that started, both of them were near the bottom of FT %. Does that make sense to anyone else?
Hope as you may Hawkwing, you don't easily replace a player that averaged 12.6 points a game.
S
snoscytheI think his departure will be a good thing for team unity and locker room dynamics, which doesn't show up in the box score. The team just lost its biggest on- and off-the-court distraction.
S
SpiffCougsnoscythe wrote:
I think his departure will be a good thing for team unity and locker room dynamics, which doesn't show up in the box score. The team just lost its biggest on- and off-the-court distraction.
I think this has a lot of truth to it.
E
EM_PumaSpiffCoug wrote:
I think his departure will be a good thing for team unity and locker room dynamics, which doesn't show up in the box score. The team just lost its biggest on- and off-the-court distraction.
I think this has a lot of truth to it.
It does, but then I remember that we're talking sports here. Really think how few of the really talented players that are not distractions--especially professionals.
Given a choice, I'd like to seen what he'd have done in his senior season, but now I'll never know.
S
SpiffCougI think of it like the "crazy-hot" matrix. Once your craziness exceeds your hotness, you aren't worth it.
For athletes, when your distractions exceed your talent you aren't worth it. Recent examples:
Colin Kapernick (distractions exceed his talent) and he's out of the NFL.
Odell Beckham (talent currently exceeds his distractions) and he's still in the NFL.
For athletes, when your distractions exceed your talent you aren't worth it. Recent examples:
Colin Kapernick (distractions exceed his talent) and he's out of the NFL.
Odell Beckham (talent currently exceeds his distractions) and he's still in the NFL.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

