Archived Topic

3-Way Tie for First, how will it end up?

by kjjson · 2/8/2010

Advertisement
K
kjjson
BYU, New Mexico, and UNLV are all tied in conference play with 7-2 records. The two losses for each team are:



BYU: @ UNLV, @ UNM

New Mexico: @SDSU, UNLV

UNLV: @BYU, Utah



So far, BYU is the only team that has lost the games that I think people would "expect" them to, the away games vs. the other 2 top teams. New Mexico and UNLV have both lost home games. I would say the toughest games remaining for each team are:



BYU: New Mexico, SDSU, @Utah (Just because that is always such a big game)

New Mexico: @BYU, @UNLV

UNLV: New Mexico, @SDSU



So my questions: How do you see the conference race finishing out? Which team will play the spoiler (i.e. Utah winning at UNLV earlier this year).
S
Short_Change
I see BYU winning out and finishing first. I see UNLV only losing one more game and finishing second and UNM losing two more games and finishing third.



1. BYU

2. UNLV

3. UNM
W
Wolverine
My prediction as seen through somewhat "blue tinted goggles:



1. BYU (14-2 as we run the table)

2. UNLV (13-3 or 12-4 with loss and SDSU and possibly Utah)

3. UNM (12-4 with losses at UNLV and BYU)

MWC Semi-Finals: #1 BYU over #4 SDSU and #2 UNLV over #3 UNM

MWC Finals: #1 BYU over #2 UNLV as the Cougs get the "monkey " off their back at the T & M

Selection Sunday: A 32-3 BYU gets a #3 seed and gets another "monkey" off their back with a least one win in the tourney



Did I mention that I wear somewhat "blue tinted goggles"?
M
Mars
Short_Change wrote:
I see BYU winning out and finishing first. I see UNLV only losing one more game and finishing second and UNM losing two more games and finishing third.



1. BYU

2. UNLV

3. UNM

This.
L
Lawboy
[quote="SI see BYU winning out and finishing first. I also see UNLV winning out and UNM losing two more games and finishing third.



1. BYU

1. UNLV

3. UNM[



At this point, all that matters is to finish first or second, then make it to the conf champ game. Looks like UNLV will be waiting.
Advertisement
S
Short_Change
Lawboy wrote:
[quote="SI see BYU winning out and finishing first. I also see UNLV winning out and UNM losing two more games and finishing third.



1. BYU

1. UNLV

3. UNM[



At this point, all that matters is to finish first or second, then make it to the conf champ game. Looks like UNLV will be waiting.


Not if they run into Utah again. :lol: It would be priceless if Utah beat UNLV on their home floor again and we take home the conference and tourney championships.
G
Gunk
With UNM beating UNLV it's now just a race between us and UNM.



UNLV still has to play at SDSU, and I don't think UNLV comes out of there with a win, so I think both teams will finish with 4 losses a piece tied for 3rd place.



UNM has to get past us. This will be a tough game, but I think we'll come out of top putting us in first place and UNM in second.
C
clemdiggitydog1
Gunk wrote:
With UNM beating UNLV it's now just a race between us and UNM.



UNLV still has to play at SDSU, and I don't think UNLV comes out of there with a win, so I think both teams will finish with 4 losses a piece tied for 3rd place.



UNM has to get past us. This will be a tough game, but I think we'll come out of top putting us in first place and UNM in second.

we've got two weeks from Saturday to get ready and healthy[Brandon Davies,Tyler Haws to lesser extent]for NM,and judging by how NM looks right now,I'm glad.This will be a very tough game,and they're difinitely capabable of beating us in our place if we don't play at the top of our game.I expect the MAC will be rocking that nite.I tnink the ability of NM getting penetration with Daries Gary and Hobson is what gives me pause,I expect Rose to use the zone quite a bit that nite.
C
CannonCougar85
With UNM beating UNLV all BYU has to do is win out and the title will be locked up.



The thing that worries me about the New Mexico game is rebounding.

New Mexico out rebounded UNLV 41-20 last night. UNLV outrebounded BYU 36-30.

BYU tied New Mexico in rebounds in their matchup but offensive rebounds were 13-8 in favor of New Mexico.



We need our big guys to step up and get some boards or we're in trouble.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.