Archived Topic

The Last Time BYU Had A Seed Better Than 8...

by Mars · 2/8/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


The last time BYU had a seed better than 8:

-We won a March Madness game.

-Was in 1993.



If BYU gets an 8 or 12 seed, yes, we may get an ugly match-up that we lose yet again. But if we get a 7, or a 6, or a 5, I still feel pretty good about our chances.



How do we do that? Win out in the regular season (including beating New Mexico in Provo) and win the first round of the Las Vegas Invite. That may be good enough to do it. Anything less makes this goal difficult to achieve perhaps, and anything more (dare we dream of a MWC Tourny Championship? Not anymore?) would be gravy.





I mean, really, who are we competing with? Isn't seeding in the NCAA Tourny somewhat regional? If we are mainly competing with the best of the west for seeding, teams like New Mexico, Gonzaga, UNLV, and Cal, I feel much better about how we'll end up.....
B
BYUROCKS
I want BYU to get a 16 seed, and knock off a #1, so we got easier path to NC game!
G
Gunk
BYUROCKS wrote:
I want BYU to get a 16 seed, and knock off a #1, so we got easier path to NC game!



Haha!



Was thinking earlier that maybe it'd be better if BYU got a 12 seed. Then we'd be one of the infamous 12 seeds to knock off a 5 seed. I think we play a bit better when we're trying to prove something as opposed to trying to maintain something.
B
bigbluepuma
I'm holding out hope that we run the rest of the table. I'm hoping that they are so embarassed about the beatdown in Vegas that they go in with fire in their eyes and put a whoopin on the rebs at the invite. It's possible. Now, let's see it happen!
M
Mars
Gunk wrote:
Was thinking earlier that maybe it'd be better if BYU got a 12 seed. Then we'd be one of the infamous 12 seeds to knock off a 5 seed. I think we play a bit better when we're trying to prove something as opposed to trying to maintain something.

BYU is either 0-2 or 0-3 as a 12-seed since 1993...
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
Mars wrote:
Was thinking earlier that maybe it'd be better if BYU got a 12 seed. Then we'd be one of the infamous 12 seeds to knock off a 5 seed. I think we play a bit better when we're trying to prove something as opposed to trying to maintain something.

BYU is either 0-2 or 0-3 as a 12-seed since 1993...


First time for everything. :) 8)
M
Mars
bigbluepuma wrote:
First time for everything. :) 8)

BYU has won as a 12-seed. Just not since Lavell Edwards won a football national championship.
W
Wolverine
1993 #7 BYU 80 #10 SMU 71

1995 #9 Tulane 76 #8 BYU 70

2001 #5 Cincinnati 84 #12 BYU 59

2003 #5 UConn 58 #12 BYU 53

2004 #5 Syracuse 80 #12 BYU 75

2007 #9 Xavier 79 #8 BYU 77

2008 #9 Texas A & M 67 #8 BYU 62

2009 #9 Texas A & M 79 #8 BYU 66

It's obvious, avoid the #12 and the #8 and the Cougs will be in great shape. Any of the other 14 seeds and the Cougs win at least one game (lol)! Sadly, 20003, 2004, 2007, and 2008 were all games the were right there within their reach. I truly believe this year will be the year that the losing streak comes to an end. No doubt it is dependent on a reasonably high seed, therefore the Cougs just need to take care of business down the stretch. GO COUGARS!
B
BYULV
Wolverine wrote:
1993 #7 BYU 80 #10 SMU 71

1995 #9 Tulane 76 #8 BYU 70

2001 #5 Cincinnati 84 #12 BYU 59

2003 #5 UConn 58 #12 BYU 53

2004 #5 Syracuse 80 #12 BYU 75

2007 #9 Xavier 70 #8 BYU 77

2008 #9 Texas A & M 67 #8 BYU 62

2009 #9 Texas A & M 79 #8 BYU 66

It's obvious, avoid the #12 and the #8 and the Cougs will be in great shape. Any of the other 14 seeds and the Cougs win at least one game (lol)! Sadly, 20003, 2004, 2007, and 2008 were all games the were right there within their reach. I truly believe this year will be the year that the losing streak comes to an end. No doubt it is dependent on a reasonabley high seed, therefore the Cougs just need to take care of business down the stretch. GO COUGARS!


Pretty sure we lost this one in 2007. I suspect it was just a typo . . . Not really a "Blaring" mistake or anything ;)
W
Wolverine
I wish it wasn't a "typo", we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I don't know why they put the "0" next to the "9" on the keyboard ;)
Advertisement
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.