Archived Topic

I Will Say This:

by Mars · 2/8/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


If Coach Rose was somehow magically able to hire Stew Morrill to coach BYU's big men, our team would become an unstoppable whirlwind, a force of nature the likes of which the Mountain West has never seen. It would be the Elite Eight every season for our Cougars.
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:


If Coach Rose was somehow magically able to hire Stew Morrill to coach BYU's big men, our team would become an unstoppable whirlwind, a force of nature the likes of which the Mountain West has never seen. It would be the Elite Eight every season for our Cougars.


One can dream, can't they.
J
JamieVallen
That would be awesome, but I mean he's got to hire somebody who can teach our big men to be better all around players. I mean how is it not obvious that our big men can't box out can't rebound, and have trouble with that back up dribble turn around jump shot.
M
mizzoucoug
Been saying it...
Q
Qman
I think we had a whole thread about this at the beginning of the season.
Advertisement
S
Short_Change
jmvcougar wrote:
That would be awesome, but I mean he's got to hire somebody who can teach our big men to be better all around players. I mean how is it not obvious that our big men can't box out can't rebound, and have trouble with that back up dribble turn around jump shot.


Miles is probably the best at boxing out in the whole conference. They interviewed him recently and he talked about his role. One thing Rose has asked Miles to do is to find the other team's best rebounder and box them out, even if it means that it takes him out of position. That's one thing he's been asked to do and he is doing it. Miles isn't great but he is a lot better than people give him credit for. He has a nice turn-around jump shot but doesn't get many touches. If he got more touches I guarantee you he'd get more confident and incorporate more moves during the game. He just doesn't get enough touches. He is a great role player.
B
BroncoBot
Short_Change wrote:
That would be awesome, but I mean he's got to hire somebody who can teach our big men to be better all around players. I mean how is it not obvious that our big men can't box out can't rebound, and have trouble with that back up dribble turn around jump shot.


Miles is probably the best at boxing out in the whole conference. They interviewed him recently and he talked about his role. One thing Rose has asked Miles to do is to find the other team's best rebounder and box them out, even if it means that it takes him out of position. That's one thing he's been asked to do and he is doing it. Miles isn't great but he is a lot better than people give him credit for. He has a nice turn-around jump shot but doesn't get many touches. If he got more touches I guarantee you he'd get more confident and incorporate more moves during the game. He just doesn't get enough touches. He is a great role player.

Agreed with a capitol A about Miles.



At the same time, I do think Rose is still struggling to develop our centers and get them more involved in the offense.
G
Gunk
declocoug wrote:
jmvcougar wrote:
That would be awesome, but I mean he's got to hire somebody who can teach our big men to be better all around players. I mean how is it not obvious that our big men can't box out can't rebound, and have trouble with that back up dribble turn around jump shot.


Miles is probably the best at boxing out in the whole conference. They interviewed him recently and he talked about his role. One thing Rose has asked Miles to do is to find the other team's best rebounder and box them out, even if it means that it takes him out of position. That's one thing he's been asked to do and he is doing it. Miles isn't great but he is a lot better than people give him credit for. He has a nice turn-around jump shot but doesn't get many touches. If he got more touches I guarantee you he'd get more confident and incorporate more moves during the game. He just doesn't get enough touches. He is a great role player.

Agreed with a capitol A about Miles.



At the same time, I do think Rose is still struggling to develop our centers and get them more involved in the offense.


Not just our centers. Our power forwards are quite powerless.
B
bigbluepuma
declocoug wrote:
jmvcougar wrote:
That would be awesome, but I mean he's got to hire somebody who can teach our big men to be better all around players. I mean how is it not obvious that our big men can't box out can't rebound, and have trouble with that back up dribble turn around jump shot.


Miles is probably the best at boxing out in the whole conference. They interviewed him recently and he talked about his role. One thing Rose has asked Miles to do is to find the other team's best rebounder and box them out, even if it means that it takes him out of position. That's one thing he's been asked to do and he is doing it. Miles isn't great but he is a lot better than people give him credit for. He has a nice turn-around jump shot but doesn't get many touches. If he got more touches I guarantee you he'd get more confident and incorporate more moves during the game. He just doesn't get enough touches. He is a great role player.
[/u]Agreed with a capitol A about Miles.



At the same time, I do think Rose is still struggling to develop our centers and get them more involved in the offense.
[/u]



The two statements aren't mutually exclusive. When one improves, the other does.
B
BroncoBot
I think the real issue here is how this issue is affecting BYU recruiting when it comes to centers.



Decent centers/power-forwards HAVE to know that BYU is where you don't go to get an A+ education in the low post.



I really think this is an issue that must be addressed. Miles should be better at this point, and I don't think that it's because he's a slacker. I think that for the most part our centers and PFs are neglected and never achieve their full potential. Soon we are not going to get any decent big men, and this will only exacerbate the current problem of not having truly talented front court play.
Advertisement
B
BYUROCKS
Short_Change wrote:
That would be awesome, but I mean he's got to hire somebody who can teach our big men to be better all around players. I mean how is it not obvious that our big men can't box out can't rebound, and have trouble with that back up dribble turn around jump shot.


Miles is probably the best at boxing out in the whole conference. They interviewed him recently and he talked about his role. One thing Rose has asked Miles to do is to find the other team's best rebounder and box them out, even if it means that it takes him out of position. That's one thing he's been asked to do and he is doing it. Miles isn't great but he is a lot better than people give him credit for. He has a nice turn-around jump shot but doesn't get many touches. If he got more touches I guarantee you he'd get more confident and incorporate more moves during the game. He just doesn't get enough touches. He is a great role player.




Thanks for the daily laugh, it was a 2 for 1, today, Obama said the Stimulus worked.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.