I
ItalicsI got all sorts of rebuttals this season when I talked about how:
- I wasn't seeing anything that would lead me to believe BYU will win a tourney game this year
- Our inside game was absolutely pathetic and would cost us games
- Emery's 3-pt shooting was a fluke, and he cannot perform against teams that are good
- JT is more of a liability than a star
And lo and behold, this is what we're seeing now.
Listen, you can all call me crazy, but I'm going to make a short and true statement: Emery is NOT a good shooter.
Really... he isn't. Getting wide open looks and hitting a good number of them against awful teams does not make you a good shooter. Shooting horrribly, having a horrible shot selection, and being completely out-muscled against every good team you player, however, makes you a bad shooter. Emery is a bad shooter. Sure, I'm sure he can light them up if he goes to a playground and shoots around, but when it comes to GAME time, this kid is not someone you want taking long jump shots. Period.
Our inside game is awful. Not below average, not bad, but probably one of the worst in the country. I've seen plenty of bottom tier basketball teams play on tv, and I'm telling you, their big guys at least know how to:
- Finish strong
- Be aggressive
- Box out
- Get a quick layup/dunk when they are dished to and have an open look
- etc.
Miles cannot even deal with the basic fundamentals of basketball. I'd grade him a D- as a center. Jimmer gets him great looks, and he just freezes up. His movement is so robotic and "deer in headlights"-like that it makes me nauseous to watch him. Hartsock may be the only player on the team who has a good idea at what the role of a big man is, and what a big man's play ought to look like.
JT just doesn't help. He plays the 4 position. I don't care how well he can sometimes shoot, or how many defensive boards he may get time to time... he doesn't play his position. You could have a team of 5 excellent point guards, and that team would get absolutely nowhere. A basketball team needs a 1, 2, 3, 4, and a 5 position. JT is a 4... and does next to nothing that would resemble what his job is.
BYU has no cutters. Just a bunch of guys (besides maybe Jimmer and Hartsock) who can hit open shots against mediocre teams. Even Haws doesn't seem to know how to take it to the hoop. He gets plenty of great lanes and opportunity's, but he always instead decides to do that annoying pull up jump shot - one that just doesn't work against physical teams.
So go ahead, tell me that I'm freaking out over one loss, being too pessimistic, etc...
I'm not saying we aren't a good team. We are just extremely far from elite, and I honestly do NOT see us getting a tourney win this year. We will get a fast, physical, big team who knows how to execute their positions, and players like Emery, MIles, and others will completely flop. 1 or 2 players can't do it all for us. We need a team of players who know their job. Instead, we consistently have 5 guys on the court who want to all play the exact same position.
- I wasn't seeing anything that would lead me to believe BYU will win a tourney game this year
- Our inside game was absolutely pathetic and would cost us games
- Emery's 3-pt shooting was a fluke, and he cannot perform against teams that are good
- JT is more of a liability than a star
And lo and behold, this is what we're seeing now.
Listen, you can all call me crazy, but I'm going to make a short and true statement: Emery is NOT a good shooter.
Really... he isn't. Getting wide open looks and hitting a good number of them against awful teams does not make you a good shooter. Shooting horrribly, having a horrible shot selection, and being completely out-muscled against every good team you player, however, makes you a bad shooter. Emery is a bad shooter. Sure, I'm sure he can light them up if he goes to a playground and shoots around, but when it comes to GAME time, this kid is not someone you want taking long jump shots. Period.
Our inside game is awful. Not below average, not bad, but probably one of the worst in the country. I've seen plenty of bottom tier basketball teams play on tv, and I'm telling you, their big guys at least know how to:
- Finish strong
- Be aggressive
- Box out
- Get a quick layup/dunk when they are dished to and have an open look
- etc.
Miles cannot even deal with the basic fundamentals of basketball. I'd grade him a D- as a center. Jimmer gets him great looks, and he just freezes up. His movement is so robotic and "deer in headlights"-like that it makes me nauseous to watch him. Hartsock may be the only player on the team who has a good idea at what the role of a big man is, and what a big man's play ought to look like.
JT just doesn't help. He plays the 4 position. I don't care how well he can sometimes shoot, or how many defensive boards he may get time to time... he doesn't play his position. You could have a team of 5 excellent point guards, and that team would get absolutely nowhere. A basketball team needs a 1, 2, 3, 4, and a 5 position. JT is a 4... and does next to nothing that would resemble what his job is.
BYU has no cutters. Just a bunch of guys (besides maybe Jimmer and Hartsock) who can hit open shots against mediocre teams. Even Haws doesn't seem to know how to take it to the hoop. He gets plenty of great lanes and opportunity's, but he always instead decides to do that annoying pull up jump shot - one that just doesn't work against physical teams.
So go ahead, tell me that I'm freaking out over one loss, being too pessimistic, etc...
I'm not saying we aren't a good team. We are just extremely far from elite, and I honestly do NOT see us getting a tourney win this year. We will get a fast, physical, big team who knows how to execute their positions, and players like Emery, MIles, and others will completely flop. 1 or 2 players can't do it all for us. We need a team of players who know their job. Instead, we consistently have 5 guys on the court who want to all play the exact same position.

