Archived Topic

Who do you think may change positions?

by Mars · 2/6/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars
" "We love the tight end/outside linebacker types," Mendenhall said. "They are 6-foot-3 plus, 225 pounds, 4.7-ish (40-yard dash time). They might be a tight end for us, they might be an outside linebacker, they might be a defensive end. If they continue to grow - like Braden Hansen - they might be an offensive tackle. So we cover four needs with one type of player.



The running back/safety type, we're also getting possible fullbacks and inside linebackers, as well as sam (strong side) linebackers. "

http://heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/darnell-dickson/article_da7002b8-1158-11df-9686-001cc4c03286.html





TE: Bryan Sampson, Austin Holt, Devin Mahina

OLB: Alani Fua, Toloa'i Ho Ching, Teu Kautai, Collin Keoshian, Joey Owens, Sae Tautu, Tyler Beck, Austen Jorgensen

DE: Bronson Kaufusi, Famika Anae

OT: Jordan Black, Tayo Fabuluje



RB/: Algernon Brown, A.J. Moore, Drew Phillips, Joshua Quezada

S: Kori Gaines, Jacob Hannemann, Jordan Johnson, Levi Gifford

ILB: Zac Stout, Kyle VanNoy, Aveni Leung Wai
M
Mars


Fua, for example, has been mentioned as potentially a LB, as a TE, and as a DE at BYU. All 3 positions he can't be expected to break the starting 2 any time soon I wouldn't think, but the kid IS talented, so where do you go from there?
B
BigCougsFan
A mission plays a huge part. Who of these are going on a mission?
B
beauso79
I know Kaufusi is
M
Mars
beauso79 wrote:
I know Kaufusi is

Ho Ching is, and either Teu or Sae (I forgot which). Owens will miss fall camp and is expected to red-shirt, and Apo will miss spring camp. And Kaveinga isn't eligible until next year.
Advertisement
M
mcgregor
Mars wrote:
TE: Bryan Sampson, Austin Holt, Devin Mahina

OLB: Alani Fua, Toloa'i Ho Ching, Teu Kautai, Collin Keoshian, Joey Owens, Sae Tautu, Tyler Beck, Austen Jorgensen

DE: Bronson Kaufusi, Famika Anae

OT: Jordan Black, Tayo Fabuluje



RB/: Algernon Brown, A.J. Moore, Drew Phillips, Joshua Quezada

S: Kori Gaines, Jacob Hannemann, Jordan Johnson, Levi Gifford

ILB: Zac Stout, Kyle VanNoy, Aveni Leung Wai


A few quick guesses:



Alani Fua to DE, possibly, and possibly to ILB (No, this isn't a cop-out; he's is just a VERY versatile recruit, and it depends where his body develops in the next year or 2)

Keoshian stays inside

Famika to OT

Kaufusi stays

Tayo first will try DE

Brown to FB

Phillips to slot

Quezada stays

KVN to outside
M
Mars
mcgregor wrote:
Keoshian stays inside

You really, really like Collin's potential don't you? He's got speed, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on him being a solid contributor anytime soon (though what do I know?)...
B
bigbluepuma
Mars wrote:
Keoshian stays inside

You really, really like Collin's potential don't you? He's got speed, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on him being a solid contributor anytime soon (though what do I know?)...


I think he has TONS of potential. On the other hand, he has only played 8 man football. There will be a greater learning curve for him than for others. He won't dominate here like he did in HS, but I think he will be very good. It may just take a little time.
L
Lawboy
I think Keoshian is going to be the surprise eye opener of this class, personally. The kid can run, is strong, already has an amazing frame as an 18 year old, and knows how to play. 8 on 8 is different, but the fact is, if you can play, you can play. His speed is also huge from the middle, if he plays ILB. I think he is going to be really, really good.
M
mcgregor
Mars wrote:
Keoshian stays inside

You really, really like Collin's potential don't you? He's got speed, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on him being a solid contributor anytime soon (though what do I know?)...


I was only answering the question of where these recruits would likely end up.



That being said, as I've stressed time and time again, I rarely hear much worthy of sharing on the board. But I did hear a comment regarding Keoshian from someone that led me to believe that the staff also REALLY likes his potential. Something to the effect of NFL-caliber. Of course, that is contingent upon him successfully managing the transition from 8-man to D1. There's A LOT to go wrong on that path, but obviously someone at BYU thought he was worth the investment.
Advertisement
M
Mars
mcgregor wrote:
I was only answering the question of where these recruits would likely end up. That being said, as I've stressed time and time again, I rarely hear much worthy of sharing on the board. But I did hear a comment regarding Keoshian from someone that led me to believe that the staff also REALLY likes his potential. Something to the effect of NFL-caliber. Of course, that is contingent upon him successfully managing the transition from 8-man to D1. There's A LOT to go wrong on that path, but obviously someone at BYU thought he was worth the investment.

I know, I changed the subject. Thanks for your answer.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.