Archived Topic

BYU to Recruit More Private Christian Schools

by Mars · 2/6/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


I wonder how well this will work out in the end? http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p=10795&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1



BYU has 8 private school kids in this class:

-WR Ross Apo, DL Tayo Fabuluje, and LB Teu Kautai (The Oakridge School in Arlington, Tex.)

-DB Jordan Johnson (Brooks School, an Episcopalian institution in Andover, Mass.)

-LB Zac Stout and DL Alani Fua (Oaks Christian High School in Westlake Village, Calif.)

-LB Collin Keoshian (Santa Clarita Christian in Canyon Country, Calif.)

-OL Blair Tushaus (Notre Dame Prep in Scottsdale, Ariz.)



Tushaus (#10 nationally at his position) has been pointed out by coaches as a catholic kid who really went out on the warpath to tell anyone and everyone what a great institution Brigham Young University is. I really hope this kid has a great career at BYU, and maybe even afterwards.



Because of all this success, BYU coaches are looking at making smaller private schools, which are mainly christian schools, a much larger part of the recruiting plan. Which of course is an interesting approach for a Mormon-sponsored college. I really hope this works out well, because any kids that already live the Honor Code in their normal, everyday lives, who cares what religion they are, let them come to BYU and showcase the great things that can be accomplished while living right. It's the perfect University to highlight your football skills in tandem with your mind and your spirit.




http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700007415/BYU-Cougars-successful-recruiting-private-school-players.html?linkTrack=rss-28
Y
Ygridiron4ever
In a different thread I posted my thoughts on this subject but I think my point got overlooked. This thread is probably a better place to put them.



It seems to me that BYU has more national prominence now than it ever has - for many understandable reasons. And the 'peculiar' nature of the program is very visible, and a little more understood by people around the country. In 1984 when we won the NC, most people had no idea what BYU was outside of their preconceived notions about Mormons. It's different now, and as a result student athletes from many religious and cultural backgrounds recognize BYU as a place to play very respectable D-1 ball and still make an important statement about character and to take advantage of the myriad other opportunities a higher education offers.



I think there are a lot of guys out there with loads of talent and potential who see that the 'mold' of a BYU athlete is not necessarily 'Mormon', but 'of a certain moral fiber.' I think Bronco is taking the right approach to attract them.
S
scott715
That niche has the potential to be a strong recruiting advange for BYU. However, each year it will probably be just a few recruits. this year with 8, that is a lot but a few were LDS or had strong LDS connections.
D
Ddawg
This is a really interesting "sidebar" discussion for BYU Football. I think there is great promise here.

As has been stated many times - by may posters - Bronco is the guy. I believe in Bronco. He's still learning. Mistakes are made. Football recruiting is NOT a game of perfection. Bronco still gets it right a stunning portion of the time.
M
Mars


I know for sure at least 1 private school kid Bronco will be recruiting this season: Apo's (better?) teammate, QB/RB/WR/DB Thomas Johnson.
Advertisement
K
KYCoug
I know in this part of the country the best High School football by far is played at Catholic High Schools. When Saint X and Trinity High School's play each other here they fill the UofL Stadium Their athletic programs are huge and even though they are technically not allowed to recruit, that goes on all the time. I know ND gets the cream of the crop from these Catholic schools and is always loaded with excellently coached and talented high school kids. It's a wonder to me that ND can't seem to get it done with all the talent they get. No love lost there though...I'm with the group that says the team I'm for on Saturday besides BYU is the team that's playing ND. Not all of them are Catholic though and I could see many of them not having an issue with the Honor Code or playing at the Y.



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
B
BroncoBot
Was Diluigi a private Christian school recruit?



Just curious.
B
BOID
I'm cool with that. Good points, Mars.
C
clemdiggitydog1
declocoug wrote:
Was Diluigi a private Christian school recruit?



Just curious.

doesn't look like it from their webpage.Canyon HS in Anaheim,a Stellar School And Distinguished Tech school however.
M
Mars


It just makes me wonder if 5 years from now, a kid like Tim Tebow would look at BYU 1st and everyone else second.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I think Bronco is taking the right approach in the regard that he is promoting the strengths of BYU as an institution, rather than the perceived weaknesses, then targeting kids with skill and talent and the character to live up to the university standards. Religious parents love that their kids will be at a university where their kids are expected to live up to a standard many of them already aspire to. Sell what you are, and do not be afraid of what you aren't. Many kids will focus on what you aren't, and that just means that they are a bad fit anyway. But the ones who like what you are will elevate this program in their local communities. That is good for many reasons.
B
bigbluepuma
Lawboy wrote:
I think Bronco is taking the right approach in the regard that he is promoting the strengths of BYU as an institution, rather than the perceived weaknesses, then targeting kids with skill and talent and the character to live up to the university standards. Religious parents love that their kids will be at a university where their kids are expected to live up to a standard many of them already aspire to. Sell what you are, and do not be afraid of what you aren't. Many kids will focus on what you aren't, and that just means that they are a bad fit anyway. But the ones who like what you are will elevate this program in their local communities. That is good for many reasons.


Isn't it amazing that besides turning around the football program, Bronco has made a huge change in the perception of the team and of the school, despite what the :utard: :utard: have to say about his "arrogance?" Fools always hold the great ones in derision, but "by their fruits ye shall know them."



I think the question about Tebow has merit, and we are beginning to see more and more of that effect. Players like JJ who drive 10 hours through the night to commit to Bronco's face, and like Q, who cut off his signature long hair to come to BYU, Because they like the environment, are a big deal. That speaks volumes about what Bronco is doing with the program (after many of our fans cried loudly a few years ago, about how we could never win with the standards required at BYU). It's only getting better! :love: :love:
B
bluebrotha
Why doesn't the church just create a few private high schools of their own outside of Utah ? Phoenix, Vegas, Orange County would be good places for pilot programs. Call it Liahona High School or something. (There actually exists a LDS Liahona High School in Samoa)
B
bigbluepuma
I know the answer to that. They have put their money in America into higher education. We have BYU, BYUI, BYUH and LDS Business, plus a large seminary and institute system. There won't be anymore LDS schools in the US, because the rest of the church's education money is going, and will go to countrys that need it more, in the form of primary and secondary schools. There are many such schools, especially in the islands.
S
scott715
Is that Samoan school being closed or another one out there. I read something about it.
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
I don't know the answer to that.
S
scott715
Maybe it was in New Zealand.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.