Archived Topic

Fredette and the NBA

by Magnus Ver Magnusson · 2/1/2010

Advertisement
M
Magnus Ver Magnusson
Do y'all recall Boylen's comments about Fredette following the game? He basically implied that Jimmer would have to decide if he wanted to declare for the draft and that he was good enough to play in the NBA after this season. Maybe I've just been naive all this time, but I figured Jimmer would play all 4 years at the Y. What do you think are the chances that Jimmer stays/goes after this season?
C
CannonCougar85
I think Boylen was trying to convince Jimmer to leave just to save his own butt. Boylen knows that Utah can't beat BYU with the way Jimmer is playing and this was Boylens plea to Jimmer. Do you really think Boylen cares if Jimmer makes it at the next level? Nope, he only cares if Jimmer is at BYU next year.
C
craigoscarson
If Jimmer comes back and BYU can find a single JUCO post prescence to help out Noah and Brandon, this team will be a preseason top 10-15 easy.

Abouo and Jimmer are close enough friends that I have a feeling that JImmer has already decided to come back. Dave Rose gives Jimmer so much rope and an offense to show off his skills that I just don't see him leaving early until he's made himself a national name and next season would do that.

Unless he's guaranteed early 2nd this year by a team, he's staying.



I remember people saying that Plaisted was a guaranteed lottery pick or at worst a 1st rounder, and look how that's turned out.

Cummard stuck around and proved that it was the right move as no one really wanted him in the NBA in spite of nice college numbers.

Jimmer has a killer instinct and saavy that those 2 don't and will never have, but his best bet to land and stay in the NBA is to leave college a west coast legend. He'll cement that as a senior. He still has plenty he can improve on and has the team, coaches and system that will allow it. As this team gets better, he's going to look better and there's no doubt that the young guys on this team have barely tapped their potential. There's just too much positive to leave.



Ask Sheron Collins of Kansas, who would have been a 1st rd pick most likely and stayed to help KU make a national championship run.... I see Jimmer in that same mold.



I can also see Jimmer taking over for Dave Rose in 10-15 years as the BYU hoops head coach. If he leaves a bonified BYU legend, he'll make one hell of a recruiter in the future.
C
clemdiggitydog1
excellent post Craigo,great analysis and i surely hope you're right.I honestly think if he stays though

,you may be underestimating our chances in the preseason rankings IF we can win a couple of games in the NCAA tourney this year.we could be a real juggernaut next year if he remains a Coug.
C
cougarsunited
CannonCougar85 wrote:
I think Boylen was trying to convince Jimmer to leave just to save his own butt. Boylen knows that Utah can't beat BYU with the way Jimmer is playing and this was Boylens plea to Jimmer. Do you really think Boylen cares if Jimmer makes it at the next level? Nope, he only cares if Jimmer is at BYU next year.


How true, how true...
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
It's not like me to be the pessimist about BYU sports, but I have the bad feeling that Jimmer is going to be the next Travis Hansen/Tarell Lyday (sp?), who were both great but didn't make it in the NBA for whatever reason.
G
Gunk
Schmoe wrote:
It's not like me to be the pessimist about BYU sports, but I have the bad feeling that Jimmer is going to be the next Travis Hansen/Tarell Lyday (sp?), who were both great but didn't make it in the NBA for whatever reason.


Kind of leaning the same way as you on this one; though, Hansen probably could have played in the NBA a few seasons. My limited understanding of the situation is he opted to go to Europe because he wanted more PT and after a few seasons in Europe there were some NBA teams interested, but he only wanted to play for the Jazz.



As for Jimmer, unless he significantly improves his defense, we won't make it in the NBA. If he comes back another season and puts up higher averages than he did this season than I see him getting drafted, but I'm afraid he'll turn out to be like Trent and find himself shipped off to a Euro team to get more "experience." The NBA doesn't look too kindly on a player being a liability on defense and that's what Jimmer would be...at this point. He struggles guarding decent college point guards, so I don't see him being able to handle NBA PGs.



As for Boylen's comments. Boylen also said they did a "good" job guarding Jimmer. So from a guy that considers giving up 36 points to one player a "good" defensive effort, I'd take whatever he says with a grain of salt.
C
craigoscarson
Schmoe wrote:
It's not like me to be the pessimist about BYU sports, but I have the bad feeling that Jimmer is going to be the next Travis Hansen/Tarell Lyday (sp?), who were both great but didn't make it in the NBA for whatever reason.


For what it's worth, Hansen made a boatload of cash overseas....
S
Schmoe
craigoscarson wrote:
It's not like me to be the pessimist about BYU sports, but I have the bad feeling that Jimmer is going to be the next Travis Hansen/Tarell Lyday (sp?), who were both great but didn't make it in the NBA for whatever reason.


For what it's worth, Hansen made a boatload of cash overseas....


Oh, I know, like I said, he was a GREAT player, but the NBA requires you to be a certain kind of player that BYU doesn't seem to produce.
I
imuakahuku
Gunk wrote:
It's not like me to be the pessimist about BYU sports, but I have the bad feeling that Jimmer is going to be the next Travis Hansen/Tarell Lyday (sp?), who were both great but didn't make it in the NBA for whatever reason.


Kind of leaning the same way as you on this one; though, Hansen probably could have played in the NBA a few seasons. My limited understanding of the situation is he opted to go to Europe because he wanted more PT and after a few seasons in Europe there were some NBA teams interested, but he only wanted to play for the Jazz.



As for Jimmer, unless he significantly improves his defense, we won't make it in the NBA. If he comes back another season and puts up higher averages than he did this season than I see him getting drafted, but I'm afraid he'll turn out to be like Trent and find himself shipped off to a Euro team to get more "experience." The NBA doesn't look too kindly on a player being a liability on defense and that's what Jimmer would be...at this point. He struggles guarding decent college point guards, so I don't see him being able to handle NBA PGs.



As for Boylen's comments. Boylen also said they did a "good" job guarding Jimmer. So from a guy that considers giving up 36 points to one player a "good" defensive effort, I'd take whatever he says with a grain of salt.


Are you allowed to use defense and NBA in the same sentence? Opps I just did! Just kidding, it seems like the players in the NBA play defense when they feel like it which doesn't seem like all that often. It just seems there are not very many defensive struggles gamewise that occur in the NBA. I think Detroit was the last championship team that was actually considered a "defensive" team. I think Cleveland is considered a "defensive" team now.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
craigoscarson wrote:
It's not like me to be the pessimist about BYU sports, but I have the bad feeling that Jimmer is going to be the next Travis Hansen/Tarell Lyday (sp?), who were both great but didn't make it in the NBA for whatever reason.


For what it's worth, Hansen made a boatload of cash overseas....

And became a new citizen. Didn't he get Spanish citizenship? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.
B
bigbluepuma
kitic77 wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
It's not like me to be the pessimist about BYU sports, but I have the bad feeling that Jimmer is going to be the next Travis Hansen/Tarell Lyday (sp?), who were both great but didn't make it in the NBA for whatever reason.


For what it's worth, Hansen made a boatload of cash overseas....

And became a new citizen. Didn't he get Spanish citizenship? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

Russian.
I
ibleedblue
Gunk wrote:
It's not like me to be the pessimist about BYU sports, but I have the bad feeling that Jimmer is going to be the next Travis Hansen/Tarell Lyday (sp?), who were both great but didn't make it in the NBA for whatever reason.


Kind of leaning the same way as you on this one; though, Hansen probably could have played in the NBA a few seasons. My limited understanding of the situation is he opted to go to Europe because he wanted more PT and after a few seasons in Europe there were some NBA teams interested, but he only wanted to play for the Jazz.



As for Jimmer, unless he significantly improves his defense, we won't make it in the NBA. If he comes back another season and puts up higher averages than he did this season than I see him getting drafted, but I'm afraid he'll turn out to be like Trent and find himself shipped off to a Euro team to get more "experience." The NBA doesn't look too kindly on a player being a liability on defense and that's what Jimmer would be...at this point. He struggles guarding decent college point guards, so I don't see him being able to handle NBA PGs.



As for Boylen's comments. Boylen also said they did a "good" job guarding Jimmer. So from a guy that considers giving up 36 points to one player a "good" defensive effort, I'd take whatever he says with a grain of salt.








We all know that no one plays defense in the NBA.
S
Schmoe
ibleedblue wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
It's not like me to be the pessimist about BYU sports, but I have the bad feeling that Jimmer is going to be the next Travis Hansen/Tarell Lyday (sp?), who were both great but didn't make it in the NBA for whatever reason.


Kind of leaning the same way as you on this one; though, Hansen probably could have played in the NBA a few seasons. My limited understanding of the situation is he opted to go to Europe because he wanted more PT and after a few seasons in Europe there were some NBA teams interested, but he only wanted to play for the Jazz.



As for Jimmer, unless he significantly improves his defense, we won't make it in the NBA. If he comes back another season and puts up higher averages than he did this season than I see him getting drafted, but I'm afraid he'll turn out to be like Trent and find himself shipped off to a Euro team to get more "experience." The NBA doesn't look too kindly on a player being a liability on defense and that's what Jimmer would be...at this point. He struggles guarding decent college point guards, so I don't see him being able to handle NBA PGs.



As for Boylen's comments. Boylen also said they did a "good" job guarding Jimmer. So from a guy that considers giving up 36 points to one player a "good" defensive effort, I'd take whatever he says with a grain of salt.








We all know that no one plays defense in the NBA.


You mean no one plays defense until the playoffs.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.