S
snoscytheArchived Topic
Neil Pau'u DUI on BYU Campus
by snoscythe · 6/20/2019
Advertisement
S
snoscythe"A test administered at the Utah County jail (which means it took place a bit of time after he was arrested) showed Pauâu had a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.147, well above the legal limit of 0.05, according to the report."
C
CrimsonCougThat's really disappointing. Mostly for Pau'u, who comes from a great family as far as I can tell.
Also for the team. Neil was a projected starter.
But mostly I'm angry about what he did. I have no patience at all for drunk driving. My brother-in-law was killed by one while walking across the street at a cross walk near his home last year. The driver blew through a red light on Redwood going 90mph 4 seconds after the light had turned. So pointless. The difference between a DUI charge and a homicide charge is dumb, blind luck.
Also for the team. Neil was a projected starter.
But mostly I'm angry about what he did. I have no patience at all for drunk driving. My brother-in-law was killed by one while walking across the street at a cross walk near his home last year. The driver blew through a red light on Redwood going 90mph 4 seconds after the light had turned. So pointless. The difference between a DUI charge and a homicide charge is dumb, blind luck.
B
byufan4everCrimsonCoug wrote:
That's really disappointing. Mostly for Pau'u, who comes from a great family as far as I can tell.
Also for the team. Neil was a projected starter.
But mostly I'm angry about what he did. I have no patience at all for drunk driving. My brother-in-law was killed by one while walking across the street at a cross walk near his home last year. The driver blew through a red light on Redwood going 90mph 4 seconds after the light had turned. So pointless. The difference between a DUI charge and a homicide charge is dumb, blind luck.
I agree with everything you said. Although I don't have anyone close that has been killed by a DUI, I still have no toleranace for it. Drink and do drugs in your own home as long as you don't harm others. Take a drink and get behind the wheel? No sympothy from me for a DUI. He put others at great risk and potential harm. A simple slap on the wrist won't do it for me. Hopefully he can learn from this.
N
nuk13byufan4ever wrote:
That's really disappointing. Mostly for Pau'u, who comes from a great family as far as I can tell.
Also for the team. Neil was a projected starter.
But mostly I'm angry about what he did. I have no patience at all for drunk driving. My brother-in-law was killed by one while walking across the street at a cross walk near his home last year. The driver blew through a red light on Redwood going 90mph 4 seconds after the light had turned. So pointless. The difference between a DUI charge and a homicide charge is dumb, blind luck.
I agree with everything you said. Although I don't have anyone close that has been killed by a DUI, I still have no toleranace for it. Drink and do drugs in your own home as long as you don't harm others. Take a drink and get behind the wheel? No sympothy from me for a DUI. He put others at great risk and potential harm. A simple slap on the wrist won't do it for me. Hopefully he can learn from this.
I also agree. Whatever BYU does to students should be done to him. I hope he straightens up and his family and friends help him.
Advertisement
E
EM_Pumanuk13 wrote:CrimsonCoug wrote:
That's really disappointing. Mostly for Pau'u, who comes from a great family as far as I can tell.
Also for the team. Neil was a projected starter.
But mostly I'm angry about what he did. I have no patience at all for drunk driving. My brother-in-law was killed by one while walking across the street at a cross walk near his home last year. The driver blew through a red light on Redwood going 90mph 4 seconds after the light had turned. So pointless. The difference between a DUI charge and a homicide charge is dumb, blind luck.
I agree with everything you said. Although I don't have anyone close that has been killed by a DUI, I still have no toleranace for it. Drink and do drugs in your own home as long as you don't harm others. Take a drink and get behind the wheel? No sympothy from me for a DUI. He put others at great risk and potential harm. A simple slap on the wrist won't do it for me. Hopefully he can learn from this.
I also agree. Whatever BYU does to students should be done to him. I hope he straightens up and his family and friends help him.
Just singing this same chorus. I have no tolerance for anyone drinking and driving. I hope he learns and although hard to lose him, I don't see how he shouldn't be suspended for the season.
S
SpiffCougHe's done at BYU. Or at least he should be. 0.147 is 3x times the legal limit. That's probably chugging 6-pack in less than an hour.
What a complete loser. I'm glad he didn't hurt anyone.
It's 2019 for crying out loud. Drunk driving shouldn't happen. Especially for a returned missionary. Especially for a BYU student. There are so many simple ways to not drive drunk. Call an Uber. Grab a Lyft. Have a designated driver. Call the police, and tell them you're too drunk to drive. Heck, get on here or CougarBoard and ask for a lift and someone would come get you.
It's not hard to not drink and drive.
What a complete loser. I'm glad he didn't hurt anyone.
It's 2019 for crying out loud. Drunk driving shouldn't happen. Especially for a returned missionary. Especially for a BYU student. There are so many simple ways to not drive drunk. Call an Uber. Grab a Lyft. Have a designated driver. Call the police, and tell them you're too drunk to drive. Heck, get on here or CougarBoard and ask for a lift and someone would come get you.
It's not hard to not drink and drive.
M
MarsWhat a stupid thing to do.
Suspend him for a year. Support him to get his life together. Then either welcome him back in 2020 or move on.
Suspend him for a year. Support him to get his life together. Then either welcome him back in 2020 or move on.
E
EM_PumaMars wrote:
What a stupid thing to do.
Suspend him for a year. Support him to get his life together. Then either welcome him back in 2020 or move on.
That's about where I'm at. Before I joined the Church, as an older teenager, I drank and drove one evening. Now I can't even imagine the mindset I had and how so lucky nothing happened. I remember how vividly the road, just like sometimes they show in the movies, looked like there were two of them and I just kept trying so hard to focus on which one was real. I had to get to work (grocery store to mop the floors after they closed) and I just did it because all of my friends were in the same boat. So stupid. I never told my kids that story.
Don't dismiss him for good as there needs to be consequences, but I turned it around and learned. I can't imagine how embarrassed he must feel for letting down himself, his family, and the team. I'm glad my faux pas was not out there for the whole world to see.
G
GunkIn my limited experience with interacting with those that are intoxicated, very few make wise decisions while drunk. Best decision is to not do it, but if you are then arrange for transportation before you become s!*t faced.
Let's judge him on how well he responds to this crisis. That will be a truer indication of the type of person he is.
Let's judge him on how well he responds to this crisis. That will be a truer indication of the type of person he is.
Advertisement
G
GuestKick him out of BYU for a year, minimum.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

