Archived Topic

Why isn't Heaps a top-50 Recruit??

by snoscythe · 1/30/2010

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
According to Rivals:


"I've been doing this since 1992, and I can't ever remember a weaker quarterback group," said Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Jamie Newberg. "If someone's looking for a guy to come in next year and be the savior, there just isn't anyone."


Scout.com (from the same story):


Kids in this class are very skilled and have the tools to develop at this position but would really benefit from a redshirt year. There are some good players that will be way better three, four years down the road."


And SuperPreps:


"I remember when I saw [current Arkansas QB] Ryan Mallett. I thought to myself, 'Oh my god, what an incredible arm.' I didn't see any guy this year that looked like that. It just wasn't a good year for quarterbacks."


And finally, SportsIllustrated's Stewart Mandell:


Here's hoping your team isn't depending on one of them this fall.
S
Short_Change
I saw Scroggins throw the ball 65-70 yards in the QB challenge. Thats a pretty darn good arm. Montana followed up by throwing it 40 maybe 45 yards. He has a very week arm. I think it's just way too early to tell with a lot of these young kids at the QB position. That's the toughest position to project, IMO.
S
snoscythe
I make this post not to say that Heaps isn't any good or won't be our starter, but to maybe temper the expectations that this kid is (a) going to come in and take the starting job day one, and (b) going to be the best thing since since a protective cup. Not all #1 quarterbacks are equal.
S
SpiffCoug
I certainly hope that Heaps is nothing like Ryan Mallet. I'll trade Heaps knowledge and ability to read a defense and make timely throws over a big-armed QB any day.
C
craigoscarson
All Heaps does is win... He won 3 state championships... He won the Elite 11 MVP... He is the consensus #1 quarterback in the country ... etc. etc. etc.



I don't believe that true freshmen should ever start, but Jake Heaps is a victim of the BCS bias. Had he decided to attend Washington, ND, Cal, USC, he'd be a top 15 national recruit and they'd call him the next Drew Brees.
Advertisement
F
fifthqb
I think it should read. All that Heaps team does is win. All that his Coaching staff does is win. You could even try the argument that all his opponents do is lose. (except I think heaps got beat twice during the regular season???)



I just know from my personal experience that there is alot more to high school football than just the raw talent on some schools. Granted that is a huge factor but I mean well coached teams usually beat the teams that arent coached as well. Alot of reports say that Jake is very techinically sound, which to me sounds like he was very well coached. You also have to factor in the Talent that was on his team?? This is something that I have no idea on anyone? What can talent was heaps working with? Also, you gotta compare it to the talent he was playing against, something that I have no idea on either since he is from washington?



That being said, I have a ton of hope that Heaps will be a great Quaterback in the BYU system. I think its only a matter of when he will start not if. The ranking Systems are so different its hard to get a clear picture. Alot of rankings have Blake Bell infront of heaps as the number 1 quaterback. (something I respectfully disagree with, based on no real substantial evidence)
C
craigoscarson
fifthqb wrote:
I think it should read. All that Heaps team does is win. All that his Coaching staff does is win. You could even try the argument that all his opponents do is lose. (except I think heaps got beat twice during the regular season???)



I just know from my personal experience that there is alot more to high school football than just the raw talent on some schools. Granted that is a huge factor but I mean well coached teams usually beat the teams that arent coached as well. Alot of reports say that Jake is very techinically sound, which to me sounds like he was very well coached. You also have to factor in the Talent that was on his team?? This is something that I have no idea on anyone? What can talent was heaps working with? Also, you gotta compare it to the talent he was playing against, something that I have no idea on either since he is from washington?



That being said, I have a ton of hope that Heaps will be a great Quaterback in the BYU system. I think its only a matter of when he will start not if. The ranking Systems are so different its hard to get a clear picture. Alot of rankings have Blake Bell infront of heaps as the number 1 quaterback. (something I respectfully disagree with, based on no real substantial evidence)


Except that Heaps has won away from that skyline team, including being the head and tails best qb in the Elite 11 camp.

There are lots of qbs on good teams that win a lot of games, Heaps is a winner period.
M
Mars


These are the same authors that will write a dozen shocked, surprised articles next year and on about how Jake Heaps came from nowhere to dominate the college level and how there were no indications he would do so as no one saw it coming...
C
Cougarbib
oops - see below
C
Cougarbib
Most sport writers write at night because they sell used cars during the day. JK - but there is little integirty left - just sensationalism and controversy to boost readers and thus advertising revenue. Ignore them.



Speaking of ignore - is there an ignore button over here? I was thinkng that if I ignored MARS, I might be able to find out what someone else thinks about BYU football - or at least find out in half the time. JK



Is there an auto-notify feature like CougarBlue has so I will know if anyone replys to these questions. I'm not trying to diss MARS - just sayin - and not trying to Pimp CougarBlue - just askin



Go Cougs
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
snoscythe wrote:
I make this post not to say that Heaps isn't any good or won't be our starter, but to maybe temper the expectations that this kid is (a) going to come in and take the starting job day one, and (b) going to be the best thing since since a protective cup. Not all #1 quarterbacks are equal.


are you saying Big Ben isn't equal??? :skeptic: :P
S
stuckinbig10country
He might not be a top-50 recruit because he might not be that good. I've seen him play 3 times, and I was not completely impressed. I don't necessarily blame him, because most high school players are just not that good. The best performance I saw from him was the under armour game, and it might have been that there was just better talent there.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Most sport writers write at night because they sell used cars during the day. JK - but there is little integirty left - just sensationalism and controversy to boost readers and thus advertising revenue. Ignore them.



Speaking of ignore - is there an ignore button over here? I was thinkng that if I ignored MARS, I might be able to find out what someone else thinks about BYU football - or at least find out in half the time. JK



Is there an auto-notify feature like CougarBlue has so I will know if anyone replys to these questions. I'm not trying to diss MARS - just sayin - and not trying to Pimp CougarBlue - just askin



Go Cougs


You can ignore someone by clicking on their name and adding them as an 'foe' yes, it's a strong term, but oh well.



As for auto-notify, yes, you can "subscribe" to any thread, or forum by clicking the subscribe link at the bottom of the page. You can also set your user control panel board settings to auto-notify you of responses to any thread that you have commented on.
C
Cougarbib
Thanks for the tips. I think they will enhance my experience on this site.
M
Mars
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I think they will enhance my experience on this site.

Bib = Troll
Advertisement
S
scott715
How about an autonotify when McGregor posts?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.