Archived Topic

News on Heaps and Van Noy

by gmj81 · 1/29/2010

Advertisement
G
gmj81
http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/60/10008167/Harmons-Halftime-Phillips-cancels-recruiting-trip-to-Cincy.html



Word from BYU's off-season workouts: Jake Heaps is impressing both receivers and defensive backs with his ability to place passes accurately on the shoulder away from the defender in seven-on-seven sessions and informal QB-WR throw afternoons.



Also, newcomer LB Kyle Van Noy has been very impressive covering the TEs. He's been so impressive, in order to challenge him, one of the defensive leaders suggested he workout with the defensive backs so he could be challenged and develop his skills against greater speed.
M
Matty-B
EXCELLENT! I want Heaps to start so bad. I'd love to have a four year QB. (Given he doesn't declare early)
M
Mars


I wonder if Nelson is impressing receivers with his perfect throws. :lol:



Poor kid.
L
Lawboy
I think Nelson should be the #2, and BYU should use him with the "Wildcat" Formation 5-7 times per game to mix things up, and take some pressure off Heaps or Lark, if one of them wins the job. A change of pace would be sweet, especially with Unga and Q in the back field. Run some Doman style option plays, make the defense prepare for it. Use the assets you have. Nelson can still contribute, even if he is not the guy. Easier to use him when the guy is a true freshman than when a 5th year senior.
M
Mars
Lawboy wrote:
Nelson should be the #2, and BYU should use him with the "Wildcat" Formation 5-7 times per game to mix things up

Bronco said no wildcat at BYU.
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
Mars wrote:
Nelson should be the #2, and BYU should use him with the "Wildcat" Formation 5-7 times per game to mix things up

Bronco said no wildcat at BYU.


I know he said that, but what a waste of talent if we don't use Nelson where he will be the most effective.
L
Lawboy
Fine. No Wildcat.



Oh wait, Unga ran from the Wildcat the first 2 plays against the U. So, might as well Nelson in a Doman type capacity. He can run it, he can pitch it, or he can throw it well enough to challenge a defense that way. I understand not using it with Max, but with a new guy who is not established, it makes more sense. It works for TCU is all I know.
M
Mars
bigbluepuma wrote:
what a waste of talent if we don't use Nelson where he will be the most effective.

Running the scout team? ;)
B
bigbluepuma
Mars wrote:
what a waste of talent if we don't use Nelson where he will be the most effective.

Running the scout team? ;)


Good dig! :lol: :lol: Really though, he may or may not be the best QB, but the kid is an amazing ATHLETE. 8)
G
gmj81
I don't think Bronco ever said, "No Wildcat", he just said they "wouldn't significantly change the offense" whatever that means.



But Anae has gone on record as saying that if Nelson wins the job that they would tailor the offense more to his strengths.



Take it for what it's worth.
Advertisement
M
Mars
bigbluepuma wrote:
he may or may not be the best QB, but the kid is an amazing ATHLETE. 8)

Yeah, he is. Like another QB on our team, Covey.
B
BigCougsFan
gmj81 wrote:
I don't think Bronco ever said, "No Wildcat", he just said they "wouldn't significantly change the offense" whatever that means.



But Anae has gone on record as saying that if Nelson wins the job that they would tailor the offense more to his strengths.



Take it for what it's worth.


I thought Anae said if Nelson wins the job that BYU would switch to the option. If Heaps wins the job they'll use the spread.
B
BroncoBot
Let the best man win.



I've been dying to see Van Noy in action. It's gonna be great!
B
bigbluepuma
declocoug wrote:
Let the best man win.



I've been dying to see Van Noy in action. It's gonna be great!


This guy is gonna be GOOD! :D :D
L
Lawboy
I think our front 7 is going to be really good for the next several years with the guys we have coming in, on missions, and on the team now. If we can just get the secondary up to the same level of play in that time frame, and then we will be scary good.



Let me just say that I am psyched that the NCAA put the no rule on missionary poaching in place. We have some really good kids coming back soon I'd hate to lose to PAC10 and other schools. J'Ray comes to mind, since he and Kona are best friends.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Lawboy wrote:
I think our front 7 is going to be really good for the next several years with the guys we have coming in, on missions, and on the team now. If we can just get the secondary up to the same level of play in that time frame, and then we will be scary good.



Let me just say that I am psyched that the NCAA put the no rule on missionary poaching in place. We have some really good kids coming back soon I'd hate to lose to PAC10 and other schools. J'Ray comes to mind, since he and Kona are best friends.

I think our secondary next year is going to be SOLID! losing Johnson will hurt though.
L
Lawboy
Next year, yes. After that, who knows. After next year, we lose Rich, Bradley and Logan. Bills will still be on a mission, and so will J'Ray. I hope Aguirre, Buckner and Eason come handle the cover spots. But the safety position will really be up in the air. And with a 3-4, you need at least 1 really good safety.
C
clemdiggitydog1
I heard Hans Christian Olsen talking this week about Jordan Johnson,from Andover,Ma.,3 star kid who he said was a top 50 CB who's coming here because of Danny Ainge's influence, and is not LDS.He may turn out to be as big of a get for us as anyone in the long run,kid sounds good.
M
Mars
clemdiggitydog1 wrote:
Jordan Johnson,from Andover,Ma.,3 star kid who he said was a top 50 CB who's coming here because of Danny Ainge's influence, and is not LDS.He may turn out to be as big of a get for us as anyone in the long run,kid sounds good.

My thoughts exactly.
B
bigbluepuma
Mars wrote:
he may or may not be the best QB, but the kid is an amazing ATHLETE. 8)

Yeah, he is. Like another QB on our team, Covey.


That brings up a question that I have had for a long time. Whaat has happened to Covey? I haven't even heard or read his name sinse fall camp started.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.