Archived Topic

Hey hey hey... Goodbye!

by BigCougsFan · 1/29/2010

Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
http://byu.scout.com/2/941915.html



Kona's dad said this at the end of this article about HIS side of their(Kona and family) story.



“He still wants to go to BYU, even now, but he doesn’t feel that he should be treated this way by the coaches there,” summed up McKay(father) regarding Kona’s mindset. “It’s truly an unfortunate thing, but all we can do is move on and decide between Notre Dame and Washington.”



From what I gathered... He's gone. We lost out on Heimuli cause we focused on Kona.



Dang... Karma for me laughing at Utah's horrid recruiting class! :~(
S
SpiffCoug
We didn't lose Heimuli because we focused on Kona. It was because we believed Kona was a man of his word. I stand behind Bronco in this instance. Either you're committed to BYU or you're not. Taking a trip to ND is not showing your commitment and in fact it is deceitful. Recruiting trips are not paid vacations. They have a purpose - universities try to sell their college experience to recruits. They aren't to simply bring guys in who want to get away from home. If he does only want to get off the island for a while and visit his friends, then he should be willing to pay for it himself. It's dishonest to not only BYU but ND as well.
B
BerliNY
That is absolutely candy-a$$ed bull$chtik! Something is going on here that smells like a rat. You're telling me he wants to go to BYU, he's prayed about it in fact, feels like BYU is the place for him. But the second Mendenhall tests that commitment in the slightest, he decides to jump ship?! There HAS to be more to this story. There's no way a kid is willing to trade a scholarship to the school of his dreams for a weekend with some friends in nowheresville, flyover county, indiana.
I
Iceman
I agree, there is more to this story than is being told by McKay. I'm sure that Bronco has heard more than his share of rumors about conversations with Shilo Te'o and Jamora. I think Bronco was testing him, and this is the answer. I hope Kona ends up here, but it doesn't look like it.
G
gmj81
Na na na na...



Well best of luck to you where ever you wind up Kona. I hope your trip to South Bend was worth it. The way I see it though, you'll spend the next couple of seasons at least losing to MWC teams (Yewtah @ ND or UW @ BYU).
Advertisement
M
Mars


TEAM > INDIVIDUAL



Every time.



Easy call.
C
Cougarbib
He may have second thoughts about playing in the rollover for the dough game in Austin. HaHa (learned the HaHa thing from the kids). Those old enough to remember the years right after the NC year will remember that as BYU started landing a few recruits someone had actually heard of, they had to start dealing with some very big egos.



Go Cougs
C
Cougarbib
PS - I imagine there is some hardworking, overacheiving, unheralded, guy like Dennis Pitta was that will be happy to accept that scholarship. But BYU better get used to ND and UW and USC and UCLA working our recruits now that we are getting a few recruits the big boys want.



But what a chance to further build a program and to meet friends who will support any mission desires you may have and then to return and meet your eternal sweetheart will be missed - all for ego. These kind of dreams can and do get realized elsewhere - but there is no place like Provo.



Go Cougs
M
Mars
Cougarbib2 wrote:
He may have second thoughts about playing in the rollover for the dough game in Austin. HaHa

Just like the "roll over for dough game" against Oklahoma? :sulk:

Go back to cougarblue.
D
Ddawg
This is very disheartening. Discouraging. It's crap!

:~( :~(
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
For me, it is a simple question of honesty. It is dishonest to Notre Dame and Washington to go visit their schools on their dimes if you have no intention on going there. It is dishonest to BYU to say "I am committed to BYU" and then trip to other schools. We want this kid's talent but we don't want this kids attitude.
J
jonnylingo
While I think the word dishonest is a little strong to call the schwenkes it is disappointing that this is happening.



I am really bummed. Too bad. I think that even if kona comes to bronco after and says that he wants to come to byu that bronco wont oblige. he views things like this very seriously and probably wants to send a message to future recruits.



I agree with berlin, there is probably more going on here. I think that if kona 'really' wanted to go to byu that he would have cancelled the trip by now. i think the nd offer just shook him. he was very tempted to take a look and there was a chacne he was going there. bronco knew this and said stick to your word or we will use the week we have to try and use your scholarship getting someone else.



too bad. i have no hard feelings though. Manti bugged me, but here kona is just doing what he thinks is best for him. Good luck to him. I hope we get an opp to play nd sometime in the future.
M
Mars
jonnylingo wrote:
I think the word dishonest is a little strong to call the schwenkes

Considering their comments to the media, it's not, at all.
J
jonnylingo
Mars wrote:
I think the word dishonest is a little strong to call the schwenkes

Considering their comments to the media, it's not, at all.


Stop being such a self righteous #$@ hole man. Seriously. He is trying to make the best decision he can and having byu coaches say we are not sure you can live the honor code and don't trust you isn't going to make anybody happy.



he is not perfect and doesn't need loser like you pointing it out. its a hard decision, a huge decision, and he was doing his best to make the right one. whether they made mistakes or not they don't need morons like you villainizing them.
F
frdbtr
I think there are different levels of dishonesty. You can be the judge as to whether you think this level is wrong or not. I equate this similar to if you went to someone selling a car (lets say a private seller) and say "I am going to buy your car, I just need to get a loan" In the mean time, you find one you like better and buy that one, leaving the other seller hanging. Lets just say that the first seller tells another prospective buyer that the car is sold when they get another call on it. Like I said, you can decide yourself whether you think it is wrong or not but I was always raised that when you give your word to someone, you keep it, you don't shop around looking for a better deal.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
jonnylingo wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
I think the word dishonest is a little strong to call the schwenkes

Considering their comments to the media, it's not, at all.


Stop being such a self righteous #$@ hole man. Seriously. He is trying to make the best decision he can and having byu coaches say we are not sure you can live the honor code and don't trust you isn't going to make anybody happy.



he is not perfect and doesn't need loser like you pointing it out. its a hard decision, a huge decision, and he was doing his best to make the right one. whether they made mistakes or not they don't need morons like you villainizing them.


The decision was supposed to already have been made. How many recruits did Bronco have to turn away because this kid gave his word to BYU that he is coming and now is tripping to other schools. I think what Bronco is doing is perfectly justified. It is dishonest to say "I am coming to BYU" while going to other schools to visit. It is dishonest to the other schools (unless you are planning on decommiting from BYU and committing to the other school) for taking their money for the trip. Or it is dishonest to BYU if you commit to them and then change your committment to go somewhere else.
B
bigbluepuma
Cougarbib2 wrote:
PS - I imagine there is some hardworking, overacheiving, unheralded, guy like Dennis Pitta was that will be happy to accept that scholarship. But BYU better get used to ND and UW and USC and UCLA working our recruits now that we are getting a few recruits the big boys want.


I think we're already used to it. :~( :sick:
M
Mars
jonnylingo wrote:
Stop being such a self righteous #$@ hole man. Seriously. He is trying to make the best decision he can and having byu coaches say we are not sure you can live the honor code and don't trust you isn't going to make anybody happy.
"Sure I cheated on my wife, but I was just trying to make a very difficult decision about which woman I want to spend my life with." :roll:



You have ZERO credibility here. Maybe you should take some time off of the boards to cool down?
B
bigbluepuma
[quote="frdbtr



The decision was supposed to already have been made. How many recruits did Bronco have to turn away because this kid gave his word to BYU that he is coming and now is tripping to other schools. I think what Bronco is doing is perfectly justified. It is dishonest to say "I am coming to BYU" while going to other schools to visit. It is dishonest to the other schools (unless you are planning on decommiting from BYU and committing to the other school) for taking their money for the trip. Or it is dishonest to BYU if you commit to them and then change your committment to go somewhere else.[/quote]



I think that the other schools understand the player's feeling that he is just going for the trip, but they are willing to pay for it for the chance that they will change his mind. I think that Bronco is justified in demanding that KS not take the trip. He is tired of signing day surprises, and wants to know that his commits are committed. Last minute scrambling for recruits doesn' t usually get the guys you want, just fillers. I think Bronco's decision was as much for future years as for this year. I applaud DP's change of plans for a trip to Cinci to re-enforce his commitment. He is in a class with Curtis Brown, JJ and Q (amoung others). Real heroes to me. :) :)
B
bigbluepuma
Mars wrote:
Stop being such a self righteous #$@ hole man. Seriously. He is trying to make the best decision he can and having byu coaches say we are not sure you can live the honor code and don't trust you isn't going to make anybody happy.
"Sure I cheated on my wife, but I was just trying to make a very difficult decision about which woman I want to spend my life with." :roll:



You have ZERO credibility here. Maybe you should take some time off of the boards to cool down?


Mars, settle down, man. You need to change to decaff or something. ;)
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.