G
GuestArchived Topic
Ty'Son Williams transfers to BYU
by hawkwing · 4/14/2019
Advertisement
F
FidoBOOM!
E
EM_PumaI didn't either, but it's great for the team, but I'd hate to be the other backs seeing their carries this season suddenly go up in smoke.
They always say that's a great problem to have and we've surely seen it lately at QB, but still, I'd hate to have to deal with it as it will take quite the tactician to navigate those waters.
They always say that's a great problem to have and we've surely seen it lately at QB, but still, I'd hate to have to deal with it as it will take quite the tactician to navigate those waters.
F
frdbtrSo the guy that couldn't get on the field on a bad South Carolina team is going to come here and take all the carries away from the guys we already have?
S
scott715He is good and I expect him to be the starter. Very good and welcome news.
Advertisement
S
scott715M
MarsI'm very happily surprised!
F
FidoYes, this guy who couldn't find the field for a bad South Carolina team is going to walk into fall camp as the #1 RB. Now we might not have to turn to the #5 QB to fill or pull someone buried on the LB depth chart to make the change--or rely on a guy being fully recovered from a horrible ankle injury to carry a full load. Katoa is going to have to push for time. And with at least 3 RB transfers coming in, the coaching staff has addressed the biggest need on the offense coming into this year. Who was it claiming that Sitake blew the recruiting at RB this year and wasn't going to get anyone not too long ago?
F
frdbtrFido wrote:
Yes, this guy who couldn't find the field for a bad South Carolina team is going to walk into fall camp as the #1 RB. Now we might not have to turn to the #5 QB to fill or pull someone buried on the LB depth chart to make the change--or rely on a guy being fully recovered from a horrible ankle injury to carry a full load. Katoa is going to have to push for time. And with at least 3 RB transfers coming in, the coaching staff has addressed the biggest need on the offense coming into this year. Who was it claiming that Sitake blew the recruiting at RB this year and wasn't going to get anyone not too long ago?
I have claimed that Sitake is a bad recruiter but I have not mentioned RB's in particular at all so I don't know who you are talking about. It is nice to have more depth at all positions but I was surprised by a claim that a graduate transfer who couldn't get on the field with a bad team was going to somehow come in here, master our offense in fall ball, and take all the carries from guys who are already here.
F
Fidofrdbtr wrote:
I have claimed that Sitake is a bad recruiter but I have not mentioned RB's in particular at all so I don't know who you are talking about. It is nice to have more depth at all positions but I was surprised by a claim that a graduate transfer who couldn't get on the field with a bad team was going to somehow come in here, master our offense in fall ball, and take all the carries from guys who are already here.
No, it wasn't you. I'm referring to snoscythe from signing day:
The only RB BYU has made an offer to that has not already signed an NLOI is Larenz Redd--a 2* kid who is committed to Boise. That's it. There are no "solid RB" recruits left--Kalani struck out.
I hope we get Albright, but even if we land both Albright and Redd--our last remaining RB recruit, that gets us a 143.7 score -- only good for a #80 class.
Advertisement
Y
YNotKilani seems to show his recruiting muscle in bringing in solid transfers to the program. Hoge, Empey, Lee, Tei-Kirby, Collie...and now Williams and Esukpa.
With those first 5, four of them have been solid contributors. That's a really nice track record and a much higher success rate than the typical recruiting class. If either Williams or Esukpa work out this year, it will be HUGE for our offense.
Love seeing Williams' highlights against Tennessee.
With those first 5, four of them have been solid contributors. That's a really nice track record and a much higher success rate than the typical recruiting class. If either Williams or Esukpa work out this year, it will be HUGE for our offense.
Love seeing Williams' highlights against Tennessee.
S
scott715Hell be ready for that game.
Scott
Scott
M
MarsRB from Arizona CC too.
S
snoscytheSo, he brings a total of 5 collegiate touchdowns over three seasons of play to BYU?
I like that we are finding graduate transfers now (finally!), but I view these guys primarily as depth-builders, not primary options or key cogs.
I think we are looking at a lot of Fonua/Katoa this next season, with Ula getting more touches as the season progresses and he gets back into shape and up to speed.
I like that we are finding graduate transfers now (finally!), but I view these guys primarily as depth-builders, not primary options or key cogs.
I think we are looking at a lot of Fonua/Katoa this next season, with Ula getting more touches as the season progresses and he gets back into shape and up to speed.
F
Fidosnoscythe wrote:
So, he brings a total of 5 collegiate touchdowns over three seasons of play to BYU?
I like that we are finding graduate transfers now (finally!), but I view these guys primarily as depth-builders, not primary options or key cogs.
I think we are looking at a lot of Fonua/Katoa this next season, with Ula getting more touches as the season progresses and he gets back into shape and up to speed.
Williams - 5 TDs in 3 seasons (only 19 attempts in 6 games as a freshman, averaged nearly 5 ypc in the SEC)
Fonua - 0 TDs in 3 seasons (18 career rushes for 87 yards since moving over from defense in 2017, missed all of 2018 with an ankle dislocation injury)
Katoa - 8 TDs in 11 games. I think everyone expects him to be one of the top guys but I worry about his durability/size (6'1" 210)/style not being the every-down back.
And if he makes it back on the team:
Tolutau - 2 TDs in 7 games (hasn't played since 10/27/2017, not currently on the team).
It doesn't look like a stretch to see Williams end up in the 2 deep. Esukpa to me is a depth guy who might surprise. It would be great if all these guys were 100% healthy and ready to go. Fonua did okay in his 18 attempts, but I've not seen anything to lead me to believe he is a 2-deep back.
Some of the young guys are worth keeping an eye on too.
Advertisement
Y
YNotsnoscythe wrote:
So, he brings a total of 5 collegiate touchdowns over three seasons of play to BYU?
I like that we are finding graduate transfers now (finally!), but I view these guys primarily as depth-builders, not primary options or key cogs.
I think we are looking at a lot of Fonua/Katoa this next season, with Ula getting more touches as the season progresses and he gets back into shape and up to speed.
Williams has had multiple carries in road games in front of 90-100K+ stadiums at Georgia, Texas A&M, and Tennessee. He's had double-digit carries against Clemson, A&M, Tennessee (twice), Missouri (twice), and Louisiana Tech and Coastal Carolina.
His numbers look similar to what Canada or Hadley did last year, but against better opponents in bigger games.
Katoa has double-digit carries against only Hawaii, New Mexico State, and McNeese State. Fonua has played in 3 games the last 2 years...for less than 100 yards in the aggregate.
Esukpa adds depth and will likely battle Fonua and Allgeiers for a role. My money is on Esukpa to win that role in 2019.
Williams brings quality experience and athleticism and will compete for the first spot on the depth chart.
Anyway you cut it, Williams and Esukpa are great additions and turn the rushing game into a positive instead of weakness.
C
CrimsonCougThis is helpful. Our run game isn't going to be anything special this year, but these transfers will make it serviceable to the point where teams can't sell out against the pass. It'll force teams to play honest.
I think the quality of the September schedule will still give BYU its usual 1-3 start, but without these transfers that would have been 0-4. If that 1 comes against Utah, then September will be a success!
I think the quality of the September schedule will still give BYU its usual 1-3 start, but without these transfers that would have been 0-4. If that 1 comes against Utah, then September will be a success!
G
GunkSometimes I really feel like we look gift horses in the mouth.
Welcome to BYU, Ty'Son.
We're not Alabama. Ty'Son is a good get.
Welcome to BYU, Ty'Son.
We're not Alabama. Ty'Son is a good get.
F
frdbtrI like the depth. I am not ready to crown him starter just because he transferred to us from an SEC team.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

