Archived Topic

White smoke seen coming from the Marriott Center - Pope named

by hawkwing · 4/10/2019

Advertisement
G
Guest
I'm hearing this morning that white smoke has been seen emanating from the Marriott Center.
G
Gunk
Chatter on Twitter is that it's Pope.
E
EM_Puma
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900065079/byu-expected-to-name-mark-pope-as-head-basketball-coach.html



Looks like you're right.



By the way, great pic in that article. Rose and Pope are shaking hands, but both of them are looking off into a different direction like it was just a routine handshake that their mother's made them do. Funny that Dick Harmon thought to use that pic. They're on UVU's floor, so that was 2017 after the Cougs wiped the floor with the Wolverines 85-58 so I'm sure it wasn't a tender moment.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Honestly, I wouldn't have been disappointed with Madsen, but I do think Pope will do well. The next interesting item on the agenda is if he simply brings his whole staff from UVU or if BYU or even himself, goes in any other direction. I guess that's our next round of speculation, especially in that Dick Harmon's article notes that one of the questions asked in the interview process was whether the candidate would consider coming to BYU as an assistant if they didn't land the HC position.
C
CrimsonCoug
I agree. I was hoping for Madsen but I think Pope will do well. Looks like the other conversations he was having in Minnesota during Final Four weekend didn't pan out as he'd hoped



Nice thread title, btw!

The Mormon school is being led by a Pope
C
CrimsonCoug
Knowing that Pope won't stay in Provo long if he's successful, I hope UVU picks up Madsen (Mark might be interested b/c the writing's on the wall in LA and Orem would put him close to his new son's 4 grandparents). That way when Pope leaves, Madsen would have the D1 experience needed to do well with BYU--and I imagine he'd be there for a while.

I'm OK with UVU being a farm school for BYU coaching talent.
B
byufan4ever
Madsen as assistant coach!
S
scott715
UVU needs to hire a LDS coach. We might need that person in a few years.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
The other WCC schools will have the catholic students but BYU will have the Pope.
C
CrimsonCoug
byufan4ever wrote:

Madsen as assistant coach!

I don't know why he'd go from an assistant at an NBA team to an assistant at BYU.
C
coachK
So does Childs now see an opportunity to improve his game with a former big man as the head coach and stay for another year? Or has that ship sailed?
B
byufan4ever
CrimsonCoug wrote:


Madsen as assistant coach!

I don't know why he'd go from an assistant at an NBA team to an assistant at BYU.


I wasn't being serious. Although he will be out of a job.
E
EM_Puma
CrimsonCoug wrote:

I agree. I was hoping for Madsen but I think Pope will do well. Looks like the other conversations he was having in Minnesota during Final Four weekend didn't pan out as he'd hoped



Nice thread title, btw!

The Mormon school is being led by a Pope


Oh, that one had flown over my head. I understood the white smoke as in picking the next Pope, but forgot to relate it to Mark's name.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
byufan4ever wrote:

Madsen as assistant coach!

Yeah, I wish, but I find it hard to believe that he'd take a job with the pay a BYU BB assistant coach would make. Yes, he might be out of a job, but really, he's done quite well at getting opportunities, even without the prior experience, so he must be impressive.
B
byufan4ever
EM_Puma wrote:


Madsen as assistant coach!

Yeah, I wish, but I find it hard to believe that he'd take a job with the pay a BYU BB assistant coach would make. Yes, he might be out of a job, but really, he's done quite well at getting opportunities, even without the prior experience, so he must be impressive.


I know, I wasn't being serious.
J
jadesroom
I really started to have my heart set on Madsen, but I also think Pope will do a great job.



HC Pope

AC Madsen

AC Peery



Wishful thinking
K
KYCoug
I think it great. Even if his goal is to use us as a stepping stone to a Kentucky job. He will need to build the Y to a nationally relevant program before UK or any big time team would be interested in him. So, go for it, and we'll come along for the ride.



Larry Hatton

Go Cougs!!!

Louisville, KY
B
byufan4ever
KYCoug wrote:

I think it great. Even if his goal is to use us as a stepping stone to a Kentucky job. He will need to build the Y to a nationally relevant program before UK or any big time team would be interested in him. So, go for it, and we'll come along for the ride.



Larry Hatton

Go Cougs!!!

Louisville, KY


Exactly my thinking!
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.