B
byufan4everI listened to Ben Criddle's podcast (first time I've listened to him and I almost quit right away because he started off with two annoying ads and then a very long intro talking about nothing; it was probably 5 minutes until he actually started talking about his topic) "Breaking down the pay and what BYU can offer their next head coach."
His sources say BYU is willing to pay $600K plus incentives. Pope currently makes about $220K. St. Mary's coach makes in the high $500K range. Also interesting that the BYU donors match BYU's offer. So basically BYU is willing to pay $300K and the donors match that for another $300K (I could have the exact details a little off as I'm going off memory from what I heard while driving home).
Some other salaries for comparison: Washington St. - $1.6M; Alabama - $3M; Duke/Kentucky: ~$9M
Also their opinion (him and I guess Kyle Ireland that was co-hosting) is that there is no official rule anywhere that the head coach HAS to have a temple recommend. It's just an unwritten rule.
If we really didn't have to have the card holding requirement, do you think that we could find a quality non-LDS coach for $600K a year? One benefit to having an LDS coach is that they "might" be more willing to stick around for longer whereas someone else might just use it as a quick stop to a bigger school.
His sources say BYU is willing to pay $600K plus incentives. Pope currently makes about $220K. St. Mary's coach makes in the high $500K range. Also interesting that the BYU donors match BYU's offer. So basically BYU is willing to pay $300K and the donors match that for another $300K (I could have the exact details a little off as I'm going off memory from what I heard while driving home).
Some other salaries for comparison: Washington St. - $1.6M; Alabama - $3M; Duke/Kentucky: ~$9M
Also their opinion (him and I guess Kyle Ireland that was co-hosting) is that there is no official rule anywhere that the head coach HAS to have a temple recommend. It's just an unwritten rule.
If we really didn't have to have the card holding requirement, do you think that we could find a quality non-LDS coach for $600K a year? One benefit to having an LDS coach is that they "might" be more willing to stick around for longer whereas someone else might just use it as a quick stop to a bigger school.

