Archived Topic

Gross!

by EM_Puma · 1/27/2010

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4861221

Per ESPN:

"The Cougars' white and blue home uniforms will also include pink trim and the players will wear pink basketball shoes."



While I admire their support--come on! Uni's with pink trim and pink basketall shoes? Tell me that won't come back to cause more ridicule.
S
Schmoe
If you ridicule someone for supporting cancer survivors and cancer research, then you are a toolbag of epic proportions. MLB uses pink bats, NFL players wear pink gloves and cleats, there's nothing wrong with us doing this.
U
urroner
Schmoe wrote:
If you ridicule someone for supporting cancer survivors and cancer research, then you are a toolbag of epic proportions. MLB uses pink bats, NFL players wear pink gloves and cleats, there's nothing wrong with us doing this.


How about this Pink? I sure wouldn't want to wear her. YUCK!!!!



http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/12/20/pink2_narrowweb__300x488,0.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
Schmoe wrote:
If you ridicule someone for supporting cancer survivors and cancer research, then you are a toolbag of epic proportions. MLB uses pink bats, NFL players wear pink gloves and cleats, there's nothing wrong with us doing this.


Oh go bite yourself for goodness sake. It was TIC, but even if it wasn't, calling someone a "toolbag of epic proportions" makes it all right huh for you? I wasn't ridiculing anyone. Lighten up already.



It's understood why, but how many teams are trimming their unis in pink and wearing pink shoes? While I agree there is nothing "wrong" about this because of the reason they are doing it and it is laughable, but I would have liked pink arm bands or something. BB players trimmed in pink just doesn't sound like a pleasant sight. I think the coaches in pink shoes would have been enough.
U
urroner
EM_Puma wrote:
I think the coaches in pink shoes would have been enough.


I think pink shoes are great.



http://www.fashion-stylist.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/image/Martinez-Valero-pink-shoes.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
urroner wrote:
I think the coaches in pink shoes would have been enough.


I think pink shoes are great.



http://www.fashion-stylist.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/image/Martinez-Valero-pink-shoes.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I bet you do urroner. We've always worried about you a bit. ;)
J
JamieVallen
Schmoe wrote:
If you ridicule someone for supporting cancer survivors and cancer research, then you are a toolbag of epic proportions. MLB uses pink bats, NFL players wear pink gloves and cleats, there's nothing wrong with us doing this.


If you honestly didn't get the point of what he was saying then you are the one that is a "toolbag of epic proportions" whatever the sam hill that means. Do you honestly think that he was mocking the idea of supporting cancer awareness? Or do you sometimes just jump at the opportunity to call people childish names? I mean I like you and have always enjoyed your posts especially on the site before which must not be named, but come on man you know that wasn't his purpose...
B
BYUROCKS
Schmoe wrote:
If you ridicule someone for supporting cancer survivors and cancer research, then you are a toolbag of epic proportions. MLB uses pink bats, NFL players wear pink gloves and cleats, there's nothing wrong with us doing this.


I get what you're saying, and yes, the Utard fans will still mock us because of it.
S
Schmoe
Wow, I got father and son all over my case on this one. Relax, you dummies, I wasn't saying anything towards you, I was saying that if anyone does ridicule the Cougs for it (ie-Utah fans), then they are stupid.



I'm sorry if my comments were misunderstood, I wasn't calling anyone on this website names and certainly wasn't trying to get attacked by the puma family reunion.
J
JamieVallen
Schmoe wrote:
Wow, I got father and son all over my case on this one. Relax, you dummies, I wasn't saying anything towards you, I was saying that if anyone does ridicule the Cougs for it (ie-Utah fans), then they are stupid.



I'm sorry if my comments were misunderstood, I wasn't calling anyone on this website names and certainly wasn't trying to get attacked by the puma family reunion.

Haha puma family reunion... I like it! Just kidding well my apologies then, just a misunderstanding.
Advertisement
Y
Y&Brit
Not only does utah lose and lose all the time. They'll lose to a 21-2 or 20-2 nationally ranked rival that will be pink. It couldn't get any worse for them



Although, Seattle did just get beat by 60 to 123 or something close to that.
M
Mars
Schmoe wrote:
If you ridicule someone for supporting cancer survivors and cancer research, then you are a toolbag of epic proportions.
Amen.

Especially if the head coach is a cancer survivor.



http://www.ksl.com/?nid=272&sid=9477977



I thought at first that the fans were being asked to wear pink as well, but no, it's a white out.
U
urroner
Found pictures of the unies and the shoes:

http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/graphics/extra_images/basketball_m/jersey.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/graphics/extra_images/basketball_m/shorts.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/graphics/extra_images/basketball_m/pink-shoe1.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/graphics/extra_images/basketball_m/pink-shoe2.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
Schmoe wrote:
Wow, I got father and son all over my case on this one. Relax, you dummies, I wasn't saying anything towards you, I was saying that if anyone does ridicule the Cougs for it (ie-Utah fans), then they are stupid.



I'm sorry if my comments were misunderstood, I wasn't calling anyone on this website names and certainly wasn't trying to get attacked by the puma family reunion.


That'll teach ya to mess with the pumas! It's good to have someone have my back.



On a real note, I'm all for cancer research. My step-father, that was in the position of my father for most of my adolescent years, died of colon cancer at my age. In March precisely I will reach his exact age of 52 when he succombed to the disease and I just can't imagine having a month and a half left of this life and it would be over. Incredible. To me it was one of the worse ways a person can die. He went through chemo and all and it was very brutal extension of his life. I vowed personally after being with him through that that if I ever had colon cancer, I'd just die. I don't know that the extra months that chemo gave him were worth what he had to go through and how he reacted to the treatment. My grandmother fell prey to the same disease, but at least she was 73 and not a young 52. I was 18 and in my senior year of high school and she told us in the days after Christmas that she had the disease and she was gone by April.



So my point was a TIC and I need to remember to state that or put a ;) so people know. If the Cougars think that wearing pink trim and pink shoes is the best way to bring attention (which it did since it was picked up immediately by ESPN), then more power to them. I would have stuck to pink arm bands and donated the money it will cost for new unis trimmed in pink and shoes to cancer research, but I think they get all of that equipment from their uni/shoe sponsors with no cost to the university.
S
Sammich
EM_Puma wrote:
If the Cougars think that wearing pink trim and pink shoes is the best way to bring attention (which it did since it was picked up immediately by ESPN), then more power to them. I would have stuck to pink arm bands and donated the money it will cost for new unis trimmed in pink and shoes to cancer research, but I think they get all of that equipment from their uni/shoe sponsors with no cost to the university.

This is what I don't get. I'm all for supporting cancer research and such, but how does wearing pink help exactly? "Awareness" seems to be the buzzword these days, but what does that mean anyway? If being "aware" just means donating to cancer research and getting your screenings done, then why don't they just say that instead of using some vague term that doesn't actually mean anything?
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Ok, now I understand:



“We feel privileged that Nike has chosen us to help bring awareness to the Coaches vs. Cancer Suits and Sneakers cause,” BYU head coach Dave Rose said. “We’ll do anything we can to aide in the fight against this terrible disease.”



BYU is one of four teams across the country selected by Nike to wear the uniforms with pink accents during the Coaches vs. Cancer Suits and Sneakers Awareness Weekend. The event is a collaborative initiative of the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) to increase cancer awareness and promote the American Cancer Society
."



We were one of four teams in the nation that Nike selected to wear the pink trim and shoes. Now it's more to the status of being an actual honor and that makes a big difference for at least my understanding.
J
JamieVallen
What's strange, and I'm being serious but I used to think that the whole pink thing belonged to breast cancer in particular. I guess I must of missed something...
C
craigoscarson
jmvcougar wrote:
What's strange, and I'm being serious but I used to think that the whole pink thing belonged to breast cancer in particular. I guess I must of missed something...

(I agree with you, the pink/breast cancer thing is a little exagerated, especially in light of all the rest of the cancers out there)



90% of all Cancer Deaths are linked to Smoking



I posted this on the ESPN chat

•Lung Cancer (31% of all men who die from cancer)

•Prostate Cancer (10% of all men who die from cancer)

•Colorectal Cancer (10% of all men who die from cancer)

•Pancreatic Cancer (5% of all men who die from cancer)

•Leukemia (4% of all men who die from cancer die from Leukemia)

•Lung Cancer (27% of all women who die from cancer)

•Breast Cancer (15%)

•Colorectal Cancer (10%)

•Ovarian Cancer (6%)

•Pancreatic Cancer(6%)



Being in the medical field, my only problem with all this pink, is that it originated with breast cancer awareness, yet there are many other forms of cancer that aren't getting attention that we do have a cure for. We could cut the amount of deaths from cancer in this country by over half if nobody smoked. Plain and simple. It's one of the most preventable and predictable illnesses, andforms of painful and agonizing death. It costs taxpayers billions (even if you dont' smoke).

I know breast cancer is on the forefront of peoples minds, but it gets more than it's share of attention.

What I do like, is that fact that Dave Rose is a survivor of a different kind of cancer and that this should generate attention for BYU and his story of beating it.

If BYU didn't win a game this year, it wouldn't matter, Dave Rose won the biggest battle of his life already.



Bottom line, this helps BYU. We get ESPN attention at home in a huge rivalry game. Dave Rose gets attention from surviving pancreatic cancer; it's a win-win for the current and future prospects of BYU hoops.

I wonder if Andy Katz had any idea how big this story would get when he decided to cover it. 20-1+ was not even a possibility at the time, but here we are.

It's great for BYU. The pros do it and this puts us in the same boat, we literally look big-time by doing something that big-time pros have done.



This is a nice story without the sterling 20-1 record, with it, it's a monster of a story and BYU can only benefit from it.
J
jonnylingo
Schmoe wrote:
If you ridicule someone for supporting cancer survivors and cancer research, then you are a toolbag of epic proportions. MLB uses pink bats, NFL players wear pink gloves and cleats, there's nothing wrong with us doing this.


Ouch.
B
BYUROCKS
EM_Puma wrote:
I would have stuck to pink arm bands and donated the money it will cost for new unis trimmed in pink and shoes to cancer research, but I think they get all of that equipment from their uni/shoe sponsors with no cost to the university.


I bet they auction off the stuff afterwards, and all money goes to research.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.