Archived Topic

Is BYU Over-Ranked?

by BYULV · 1/26/2010

Advertisement
B
BYULV
It just looks bad to me when I see the top 15 teams in the country and all the "0" and "1" loss teams are ranked #1-4 at the top followed by a grouping of mostly 3-4 loss teams where we see BYU (has it been mentioned that they are the first team to reach 20 wins?) is stuck in the middle of the 3-4 loss teams. With the supposed pundits claiming the West is down and BYU is only feeding on the weak, I wondered how the top 9 would do against BYU's schedule and would they be at 20-1?:



1. Kentucky (31) 19-0 (yes, at least 20-1)

2. Kansas 18-1 (yes, 20-1, probably lose to Air Force ;) )

3. Villanova 18-1 (yes)

4. Syracuse 19-1 (yes)

5. Michigan State 17-3 (Probably only 1-2 losses on our schedule. They lost to NC, TX, Florida and beat Gonzaga, but had close games with Minnesota twice and Wisconsin - Mich. St. is usually pretty tough, give them benefit of 1 loss)



6. Texas 17-2 (Likely 20-1, but they looked so bad in the game I saw vs KS State that I wonder if they would have been beat by teams like SDSU, UTEP or USU on the road - possibly drop 2-3 of those if they played like the KS St. game)



7. Duke 16-3 (No, unlikely to be 20-1: Lost to GA Tech, NC State and Wisconsin and beat wake. This is a young team that would have likely lost 1 against NV in the LV Invit, another at UTEP and possible UNLV loss at home or SDSU [but Aztec would have messed up the win])



8. Gonzaga 16-3 (No, they would have several losses with our schedule as well. Lost to Wake, Duke (killed them), and Mich. St. (was close). Respectable, but had close games (under 8 points) in wins against Illinois, Portland, St. Marys, Washington St., Colorado and Cincinati). Definitely drop 2-3 on our schedule.



9. West Virginia 15-3 (No way they are 20-1. Losses to Syracuse (ok), ND (?) and Purdue (by 15). Close games to Marshall - 8, ohio St- 6, Cleveland St. - 2, Seton hall -6, Marquette - 1. With this resume they lose 3-4 games on our schedule easy.



10. Brigham Young 20-1 (Proof is in the pudding)



11. Georgetown 15-3

12. Purdue 16-3

13. Kansas State 16-3

14. Tennessee 15-3

15. Temple 17-3

16. Wisconsin 16-4

17. Pittsburgh 15-4

18. Butler 16-4



So is BYU over-ranked?
M
Mars


I would rank us 6th right now. Then again, I think we lose on the road to the Lobos.
B
BYULV
Definitely a tough game wednesday, but I think we win it. I guess I would have us at #7 by my calculation.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.