Archived Topic

Quick Article about Fredette on ESPN

by FurriousCougar · 1/24/2010

Advertisement
F
FurriousCougar
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/2450/aztecs-take-best-shot-fredette-scores



BYU star guard Jimmer Fredette saw the sign and apparently brushed it off.



He smiled after looking into the San Diego State student section and seeing a sign asking, "Which wife gave you mono?" reports to Jay Drew of the Salt Lake Tribune.



Fans at sold-out Viejas Arena dressed like Mormon missionaries, talked trash and even threw trash, but at the end of the day BYU survived 71-69 in a hostile environment and improved to 20-1.



Fredette, still regaining strength after bouts with strep throat, went 11-for-19 from the field, canned five three-pointers and all six of his free throws including two to seal the win.



It was a good night for Mountain West Conference basketball and a made-for-TV event, as evidenced by another sign held up in the student section that Dan Hayes from the North County Times told me about:



"Hi Mom(s)"







I'll bet he loved canning threes that game to shut them all up.
M
Metal Bubba
I love the comment section under the blog where one guy said he was a BYU fan and he thought the signs were funny. Yeah, right. Anyone who is a true BYU fan would have seen and heard that kind of stuff so many times that it would have ceased to be funny a long time ago.



It's like me with the lawyer jokes. I've heard them all before. Most of them are funny. But after awhile it just gets real annoying when people think they're saying something original that I've never heard before.
C
CougarClaw
listen, I can take a joke...really.



but imagine the furor if we started playing catholic universities and brought signs about paying indulgences and worshiping idols.



Imagine if we came dressed as Mother Mary (whom we don't worship) wearing a BYU jersey...



There are so many ways to be offensive religiously and the fact that it's still "okay" to make fun of Mormon history is still bigotry no matter how you look at it.



I remember not so long ago Navy played an away football game and at some point the entire student body started changing "F*** the NAVY" clap clap cl-cl-cl-cap." and the university had to issue a later offical apology over the furor that followed and reprimand the student body for not supporting the armed forces. People were furious and offended.



So if I were to WAY oversimplify, our system currently accepts religious ridicule, but does not accept armed forces ridicule. Anyone else think of a system that rejects God in favor of government? It's called Communism. That's right. I just proved that America is really Communist. Thank you for reading.
I
Iceman
CougarClaw wrote:
listen, I can take a joke...really.



but imagine the furor if we started playing catholic universities and brought signs about paying indulgences and worshiping idols.



Imagine if we came dressed as Mother Mary (whom we don't worship) wearing a BYU jersey...



There are so many ways to be offensive religiously and the fact that it's still "okay" to make fun of Mormon history is still bigotry no matter how you look at it.



I remember not so long ago Navy played an away football game and at some point the entire student body started changing "F*** the NAVY" clap clap cl-cl-cl-cap." and the university had to issue a later offical apology over the furor that followed and reprimand the student body for not supporting the armed forces. People were furious and offended.



So if I were to WAY oversimplify, our system currently accepts religious ridicule, but does not accept armed forces ridicule. Anyone else think of a system that rejects God in favor of government? It's called Communism. That's right. I just proved that America is really Communist. Thank you for reading.

Well, you definitely showed further proof of what most college campuses have become. Proving ground for leftist hate and bigotry.
G
Gunk
CougarClaw wrote:
listen, I can take a joke...really.



but imagine the furor if we started playing catholic universities and brought signs about paying indulgences and worshiping idols.



Imagine if we came dressed as Mother Mary (whom we don't worship) wearing a BYU jersey...



There are so many ways to be offensive religiously and the fact that it's still "okay" to make fun of Mormon history is still bigotry no matter how you look at it.



I remember not so long ago Navy played an away football game and at some point the entire student body started changing "F*** the NAVY" clap clap cl-cl-cl-cap." and the university had to issue a later offical apology over the furor that followed and reprimand the student body for not supporting the armed forces. People were furious and offended.



So if I were to WAY oversimplify, our system currently accepts religious ridicule, but does not accept armed forces ridicule. Anyone else think of a system that rejects God in favor of government? It's called Communism. That's right. I just proved that America is really Communist. Thank you for reading.


I'll one up you, CougarClaw. Imagine if there was a private Jewish school with a Division I team and opponents showed up to games with signs making crass jokes about Jews. The entire student section would be forced to go to rehab. It's okay to make fun of Mormons, but not Jews or Catholics. That would be racist.
Advertisement
B
BYUROCKS
Gunk wrote:
listen, I can take a joke...really.



but imagine the furor if we started playing catholic universities and brought signs about paying indulgences and worshiping idols.



Imagine if we came dressed as Mother Mary (whom we don't worship) wearing a BYU jersey...



There are so many ways to be offensive religiously and the fact that it's still "okay" to make fun of Mormon history is still bigotry no matter how you look at it.



I remember not so long ago Navy played an away football game and at some point the entire student body started changing "F*** the NAVY" clap clap cl-cl-cl-cap." and the university had to issue a later offical apology over the furor that followed and reprimand the student body for not supporting the armed forces. People were furious and offended.



So if I were to WAY oversimplify, our system currently accepts religious ridicule, but does not accept armed forces ridicule. Anyone else think of a system that rejects God in favor of government? It's called Communism. That's right. I just proved that America is really Communist. Thank you for reading.


I'll one up you, CougarClaw. Imagine if there was a private Jewish school with a Division I team and opponents showed up to games with signs making crass jokes about Jews. The entire student section would be forced to go to rehab. It's okay to make fun of Mormons, but not Jews or Catholics. That would be racist.




Or if we played an all black school, and did something about blacks, we would be racist.
B
BroncoBot
I'm not offended at all. Annoyed would be the right word.



At least with our excellent family history program us Mormons know who our mom(s) and dad are. Not sure most of So Cal can say the same. Probably just a matter of jealousy. ;)
I
Italics
We ought to hold up a sign when they come to provo that aska, "Which BYU player kicked your ass?"
M
Metal Bubba
CougarClaw wrote:
listen, I can take a joke...really.



but imagine the furor if we started playing catholic universities and brought signs about paying indulgences and worshiping idols.


Well, actually... when Notre Dame came to town in 1993 there were a couple guys in the BYU student section who were dressed as nuns. You know... wearing the habits. And worse, the TV cameras caught them.



:~(
B
BroncoBot
Italics wrote:
We ought to hold up a sign when they come to provo that aska, "Which BYU player kicked your ass at your place 2X?"

Got your back.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
How about making a sign in keeping with Jimmer's ancestry/progeny.



Fredette is SDSU's DADDY!
B
BoiseBYU
My sign: Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness: You Suck!
M
Mars


I think when SDSU comes to town the entire student section should dress up like potheads, Cheech & Chong style.
S
Schmoe
I would have loved to see the team don white shirts, ties, and bike helmets after the win, that would make my year...
C
cougarsunited
Italics wrote:
We ought to hold up a sign when they come to provo that aska, "Which BYU player kicked your ass?"


I like :D
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.