Archived Topic

ESPN predicting BYU the odd team out

by Wickchad · 1/22/2010

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=4846268



Article predicts that Missouri will go to the Big 10. TCU to the Big 12. Utah and Boise State to the Pac 10. Memphis, East Carolina, Central Florida, and Temple to the Big East.



That would be terrible if things went down that way. I would hope that BYU would go independent in football if they are the only respectible school not in a BCS conference.



If the Big 12 would seriously consider taking TCU over BYU then I hope the Big 10 takes Pittsburg or Syracuse instead of a Big 12 team.
L
Lawboy
I do not see the Big 12 taking TCU. They are a traditional SWC team, but they add no new markets to the conference. plus, their overall sports program is not nearly s solid as BYU's. BYU would travel better, sell more seats in Big 12 stadiums, add a larger national market. I know TCU wants in teh Big 12, and ther would be great pressure in Texas to get them that slot, but BYU is a much better fit overall.
M
Mars


The funniest part of that article? Labeling Kansas State as a school with an elite coach, whose retirement will shock the college football world. :lol:
M
Mingjai
Lawboy wrote:
I do not see the Big 12 taking TCU. They are a traditional SWC team, but they add no new markets to the conference. plus, their overall sports program is not nearly s solid as BYU's. BYU would travel better, sell more seats in Big 12 stadiums, add a larger national market. I know TCU wants in teh Big 12, and ther would be great pressure in Texas to get them that slot, but BYU is a much better fit overall.


Just like I have a hard time seeing the Pac 10 taking Boise State. If the Pac 10 doesn't thing BYU is research-oriented enough, I have a hard time believing that Boise State is--it's ranked as a "Masters University" in US News, which means it doesn't have enough doctoral programs. The University of Idaho and Idaho State have more doctoral programs and are both ranked as "National Univerities."



Even ignoring the academic issue, which may be a pretense, Boise State doesn't add much in terms of other athletics. BYU would be immediately competitive in all the sports the Pac 10 sponsors and that BYU offers varsity teams.
S
Schmoe
TCU has no fans and brings no new market to the Big XII. You're not even close to being a lock simply because you are in Texas. IF it did happen and the PAC was looking for more teams, they'd swallow their pride and take BYU along with Utah. I don't see any way that BYU is the odd man out.
Advertisement
Y
Ygridiron4ever
That artices just SUCKS. Hard on the ego. No direct mention of BYU at all - only the LaVell Edwards comment. Ouch!!
W
Wickchad
I think the best scenario would be BYU to the Big 12 north and Utah to the Pac 10. Then we could add a conference rivalry to the factor. I'd much rather be in the Big 12 than the Pac 10.
I
imuakahuku
I think the article is more rambling than coherent thought. Temple got booted a few years ago by the Big Least so I doubt a re-invite is coming anytime in our lifetime. And they have one decent season in a weak conference and suddenly they are worthy of BCS inclusion whereas BYU wouldn't be invited to any current BCS conferences.

Of course the theory is that the MWC would already be an AQ conf. so it wouldn't matter. And why would TCU or Utah or even BSU if they are added leave for one of the other conferences when they are already have an autobid?



The guy was just rambling and typed whatever thought came to mind.
S
Schmoe
Wickchad84087 wrote:
I think the best scenario would be BYU to the Big 12 north and Utah to the Pac 10. Then we could add a conference rivalry to the factor. I'd much rather be in the Big 12 than the Pac 10.


My thoughts exactly. Our big offensive style with lots of spread and pass plays fits well in the Big XII and we'd compete very well in the North.
J
jonnylingo
I am okay with this. We would go to the BCS almost EVERY year if what he said (doubtful) really happens. if mwc conference got an auto bid and added fresno and a few others to make up for losing tcu and utah we would continue to win even easier every year going to a bcs game every year.



I would prefer to keep the mwc intact however and get an autobid. if that happened our conference would just keep getting better and better. utah, byu, and tcu coaches have stayed true so far to the teams in this conference and continue to make it stronger.



it would be a shame if the bcs screwed that up.
Advertisement
F
Florwood
All would not be lost in this scenario. It would be easier to qualify for a BCS bowl. No TCU or Utah in conference, no TCU/Utah/BSU competing for the outsiders BCS bowl award. Add some combination of Houston/Fresno/Nevada/Hawaii to replace TCU/Utah, whup the conference every year, and with the right skills and OOC schedule, have seveal undefeated seasons and go to the BCS/set up for an NC run.
D
Ddawg
jonnylingo wrote:
I am okay with this. We would go to the BCS almost EVERY year if what he said (doubtful) really happens. if mwc conference got an auto bid and added fresno and a few others to make up for losing tcu and utah we would continue to win even easier every year going to a bcs game every year.



I would prefer to keep the mwc intact however and get an autobid. if that happened our conference would just keep getting better and better. utah, byu, and tcu coaches have stayed true so far to the teams in this conference and continue to make it stronger.



it would be a shame if the bcs screwed that up.


That might be the plan - to break up the MWC by pulling away it's elite teams (BYU, TCU, & UofU) - divide & conquer!!!! Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of men!!! LOL!!!

:crazy:
B
BroncoBot
Ddawg wrote:
I am okay with this. We would go to the BCS almost EVERY year if what he said (doubtful) really happens. if mwc conference got an auto bid and added fresno and a few others to make up for losing tcu and utah we would continue to win even easier every year going to a bcs game every year.



I would prefer to keep the mwc intact however and get an autobid. if that happened our conference would just keep getting better and better. utah, byu, and tcu coaches have stayed true so far to the teams in this conference and continue to make it stronger.



it would be a shame if the bcs screwed that up.


That might be the plan - to break up the MWC by pulling away it's elite teams (BYU, TCU, & UofU) - divide & conquer!!!! Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of men!!! LOL!!!

:crazy:

Screw the BCS.

I wouldn't mind not being part of a BCS conference.

Long live BYU.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.