Archived Topic

Listen, I Know Anything Can Happen....

by Italics · 1/21/2010

Advertisement
I
Italics
but our conference sucks.



Let me change that.



They suck compared to us.



UNLV has proven to be the biggest pretender of them all. I don't care that CSU choked at the end and lost to them... someone remind me what we did to CSU? And don't give me crap about transitive theory... we just played CSU less than a week ago. Both teams played the same CSU team. We annihilated them, UNLV squeeked by. New Mexico has lost enough and struggled enough against sub-par teams for me to fear them. SDSU is a joke. :utard: is :utard:. Wyoming are a bunch of cowboys. CSU sucks. AFA are great men... but their greatest chances of beating us are if they send a fighter jet after our starters. Even then, I think our backups would beat them.

Did I miss anyone?



Unless BYU gets as cocky as I'm being, this conference season = cakewalk.
S
SpiffCoug
I don't know if I agree with cakewalk, but I agree overall. I said something similar to this last week, but coming into the season, I thought BYU owuld be head and shoulders better than every team in the league.



Then New Mexico started on fire and climbed to about where we are in the rankings. Apparently that was simply because their coach's name is Steve Alford. And UNLV had some good wins early as well and may have had some time ranked as well. So I began thinking maybe BYU will have some real competition in conference.



Now we've played a quarter of the conference tilt and I've returned to my original line of thinking. BYU really is better than everyone else in the confernce. Yes they haven't played any really tough conference road games (those will come the next two games). But BYU is the best team. They're going to win the conference by at least two games.



Sure, BYU is going to get the best shot every team can throw at them. But in their efforts to get up for us they're going to forget to be ready for each other and they're all going to drop home or road games they shouldn't (see Utah @ UNLV and SDSU @ Wyoming). Everyone is going to beat each other up and and BYU will join in the game and beat up on them too.



I said before the season that BYU won't lose more than one game in conference and if they go 2-0 against San Diego St and New Mexico they may just run the table.
G
gmj81
Then it would seem the rest of college basketball is down with the MWC too because the conference has had some good non-conference wins.



I agree, on paper, there's no way really any of these other programs should be keeping up with BYU. Nevertheless, there are some great coaches in this league and while I've been pleasantly surprised overall by the competition from our conference brethren, maybe I shouldn't be. I hope we can hang on to the likes of Kruger, Alford, and Fisher for a few more years. They are definitely good for the conference.
C
clemdiggitydog1
FIsher is at SDSU as long as he wants to be,as is Lon Kruger at Vegas,but i don't really see them going anywhere.Kruger's been in the NBA,and at K-State but landed at UNLV for a reason as did Fisher at SDSU.they've both been around the block and are probably not candidates to go anywhere bigger ,and yet their names still carry some cache with fans.Alford on the other hand will move up.he's in a different place in his career than the other two,and together with coach Rose represent the most likely coaches to be sought after in the league.it's obvious that the MWC has good coaches who are well respected outside the league.
B
bigbluepuma
gmj81 wrote:
Then it would seem the rest of college basketball is down with the MWC too because the conference has had some good non-conference wins.


I don't think that the rest of the MWC is down, I think they are up. They have looked good against nc opponents. I just think that BYU is up more. If we had an average recruiting year, I think that we had plenty of talent already on the team to be the best in conference, with minimal input from the freshmen, or redshirting them. With the outstanding input from these frosh, we have a team, head and shoulders above the rest. We should do very well the rest of the year. :) :)
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
RealtimeRPI thinks we'll lose at New Mexico by 8 and at UNLV by 3.

Pomeroy agrees with you and thinks we'll go undefeated winning road games at UNM by 5 and at UNLV by 6.

Personally I think we win one of those games but not both.

The rest of the conference matchups are only going to be good for tuning up the offense and getting PT for the bench.
B
BPcougs
I know BYU is a great team but its very hard to run through the conference undefeated in basketball. I see them possibly losing to New Mexico or UNLV on the road. If they get through this stretch on the road against SDSU and New Mexcio 2-0 then i think that proves BYU is legit. And ill be looking forward to our 2 seed on selection sunday!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.