Archived Topic

Houston Reynolds on brother Dallas not yet being hired as OL coach

by hawkwing · 1/17/2019

Advertisement
G
Guest
houstonreynolds.PNG

I'm having a hard time understanding how Dallas is not a shoe in and the obvious choice for the Offensive line job.

Off the top of my head thinking about Dallas's experience:

• Raised and coached for 30+ years by one of BYU's longest tenured and most loyal coaches Lance Reynolds. (Who played in the NFL, and coached at BYU for 30+ years)

• Highly recruited out of high school, 2x all state, committed to BYU served LDS mission.

• Returns to BYU to win the starting spot as a freshman.

• Plays all 50 games without missing a single one in his career at BYU.

• Named Freshman All American

• 2x all MWC

• BYU at the time was 4TH IN THE NATION in total offense

• Spends 4 years with the Philadelphia eagles

• 4 years being coached by Andy Reid (Currently head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, 4x Coach of the year award winner, Super Bowl Champion, NFL Coach since 1992, BYU alumnus and teammate of Jim McMahon)

• Coached by Juan Castillo (Coaching in the NFL since 1995, Now OL coach and Run game coordinator for the buffalo bills)

• Coached by Howard Mudd (12-year coach of the offensive line at the Indianapolis colts, during which they lead the NFL in fewest number of sacks, and super bowl XLI champion)

• Plays 3 years with the New York Giants.

• Coached by Tom Coughlin 3 years at the NY Giants (3x super bowl champion coached in the league forever

• Coached by Pat Flaherty (2x super bowl champion, coaching in the NFL since 2000, currently the OL coach at the Jacksonville jaguars.

• Upon finishing his NFL career was assistant coach with the offensive line at pleasant grove high school.

• After which he became a graduate assistant at BYU for the last several seasons.

That’s a lot of years being coached, learning from, and incorporating the styles of some pretty heavy hitters.

Now consider this…there are coaches and Division 1 programs that see every year playing in the NFL as a year of coaching experience…. Which would make Dallas the most qualified guy they could offer.



On top of this, he is a BYU guy. He is LDS, he served an LDS mission, he committed and played and bled for the program. He knows how to recruit at BYU, he knows the culture, he knows what it takes to be successful AT BYU and in the NFL.

There is not a better choice!

I'm with my brother Lance Jr. BYU doesn’t value their own until they go somewhere else. Maybe the Reynolds Clan needs to act accordingly.
S
snoscythe
Gotta drink the Kool-aid and get the Derik Stevenson stamp of approval first.
M
Mars
Eh.
F
frdbtr
So since he was a good player and got coached by lots of good coaches, he should be a shoe in? All the coaching experience he has is at a high school and as a graduate assistant. I'm not buying. The offensive line is the most important position in the offense aside from the QB. We need someone like Jeff Grimes to coach it again. I don't want any graduate assistants getting Zach Wilson killed next year.
J
jadesroom
I'm not saying that Dallas should be hired, but I am saying it could be worse...



Mark Weber.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
I'm not a big fan of the threats to "go elsewhere." Either leave or don't but if you gotta use the threat to leave as a bargaining chip you've already lost the loyalty card.
Y
YNot
frdbtr wrote:

So since he was a good player and got coached by lots of good coaches, he should be a shoe in? All the coaching experience he has is at a high school and as a graduate assistant. I'm not buying. The offensive line is the most important position in the offense aside from the QB. We need someone like Jeff Grimes to coach it again. I don't want any graduate assistants getting Zach Wilson killed next year.


Wasn't the justification for the Detmer hire? 14 years as a back-up in the NFL was like being a coach...That didn't turn out well. We need to hire coaches that have success in actual college coaching positions on the resume.



I think Reynolds should go get a job at SUU, Weber St., or Dixie State first. Then, after a couple of successful years, he could make a case for oline coach at BYU.
S
snoscythe
Yeah, each year in the NFL may be equivalent to a year of coaching experience, but he worked with Grimes all last season as a GA with Pugh and the Oline.



I think Grimes has the best sense of anyone right now as to whether or not Dallas is the best man for the job.
C
CrimsonCoug
Although I'm sure Houston released the tweet with Dallas' knowledge, I appreciated the information in the post. He makes a good case.



I dislike playing the 'go elsewhere' card, but I disagree that it shows a lack of loyalty--Houston is asking for some recognition of loyalty. I got the feeling when Lance Sr retired that he was being pushed out as much as anything, and was moved off of coaching the O-Line where he would have liked to coach his son's last year--and I think the Reynolds Clan wasn't so happy with that. Kind of like what later happened with Steve Kaufusi. And with the Whittinghams before that--that's a big reason why Kyle went to and later stayed at the U. Houston has a point that BYU often doesn't value what they have until its gone.



Given the composition of the current staff, I'm generally against bringing in any more good ole boys from BYU--diversity of thought is an asset. But Dallas has an impressive pedigree and he has been through enough other coaches to bring diverse ideas from outside the Wasatch. And he has both been coached by Grimes as a player in DR's first two years at BYU, including being named a Freshman All American and during the extremely successful 2006 season, and he has now coached under Grimes in 2018. So if Grimes decides after seeing all of that that he wants to tap Reynolds as the next OL coach, I'm OK with that. If Grimes wants to go in a different direction, then I say Dallas has set the bar pretty high, and I'll be excited by anyone who can outdo Dallas' pedigree.
C
CrimsonCoug
snoscythe wrote:

Yeah, each year in the NFL may be equivalent to a year of coaching experience, but he worked with Grimes all last season as a GA with Pugh and the Oline.



I think Grimes has the best sense of anyone right now as to whether or not Dallas is the best man for the job.


I agree. Looks like we were typing at the same time.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
If we were to look at his resume with no name on it would anyone be excited?
S
scott715
I will agree that he is a good candidate but I can't agree he is the best one. Knowing how to recruit and actually doing it well is a concern that is not covered by Houston. I prefer someone who is seasoned.
S
SpiffCoug
Lots of "coached by" this coach and that coach. I'd rather he have more coaching experience than having all that coached by experience. One seems more relevant to coaching.



His coaching experience is really this:

- One year Offensive Line at Pleasant Grove High School

- Two years Graduate Assistant at BYU
B
byufan4ever
SpiffCoug wrote:

Lots of "coached by" this coach and that coach. I'd rather he have more coaching experience than having all that coached by experience. One seems more relevant to coaching.



His coaching experience is really this:

- One year Offensive Line at Pleasant Grove High School

- Two years Graduate Assistant at BYU


Exactly!
C
CrimsonCoug
But that resume is still >= Pugh's.



BYU knows what they have in Dallas. BYU's out looking to see if they can do better. I have no problem with that, and neither should the Reynolds family. If BYU finds better, terrific. If not, they have a good one in Dallas.



Also a plus in my book is that he was coached by early vintage Bronco.
Advertisement
M
Mars
CrimsonCoug wrote:

But that resume is still >= Pugh's.



BYU knows what they have in Dallas. BYU's out looking to see if they can do better. I have no problem with that, and neither should the Reynolds family. If BYU finds better, terrific. If not, they have a good one in Dallas.



Also a plus in my book is that he was coached by early vintage Bronco.

BYU was the 6th college Pugh coached at. It would continue to be the 1st for Reynolds.
J
jvquarterback
CrimsonCoug wrote:

But that resume is still >= Pugh's.



BYU knows what they have in Dallas. BYU's out looking to see if they can do better. I have no problem with that, and neither should the Reynolds family. If BYU finds better, terrific. If not, they have a good one in Dallas.



Also a plus in my book is that he was coached by early vintage Bronco.


This is ridiculous. Pugh had two years at UTSA and did pretty well. While I think Troy hiring him as OC is a reach, he was a solid OL hire. I think Reynolds would be better than the Mahe hire by a hair. LSU doesn't hire their own GAs and neither should BYU. Let Reynolds cut his teeth at somewhere like UTSA and then he can come to BYU and move on as an OC a couple years later.





BYU should be able to do much better.
G
Gunk
Sounds entitled...



He has no college coaching experience. He's been a graduate assistant.



Go get some experience at a DII school or some other school, establish a few years of success, and then maybe you'll be a "shoe-in."



BYU can't afford a risk at OL coach. We need an established, successful OL coach.
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:

Sounds entitled...



He has no college coaching experience. He's been a graduate assistant.



Go get some experience at a DII school or some other school, establish a few years of success, and then maybe you'll be a "shoe-in."



BYU can't afford a risk at OL coach. We need an established, successful OL coach.


Meh. Houston is doing for Dallas what I would do for any of my brothers. Just laying out the case. But the "I'm leaving" bit is a little too much for me.
J
Jarhead
Trying so directly to twist BYU’s arm in a public forum probably hurts Dallas Reynolds’s chances, not helps.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.