Archived Topic

Nixon

by BroncoBot · 1/13/2019

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
MIA lately. If Nixon suddenly playing zero minutes and Hardnett not being happy is a pattern, I can understand why BYU has had so many transfers lately
G
Gunk
Yeah. Good observation. Was thinking too last night, why aren't we seeing Nixon.



I do like that Baxter got minutes.
N
nuk13
I am happy they won the last game but I'd like to know more about this. I also like Baxter's play.
B
byufan4ever
Nixon was injury prone last year so not sure if it is that or just his lackluster play. I still think he would be good for 10-12 minutes a game unless injured so not sure what is going on here.



I like Baxter's upside, but boy is he raw right now. But the only way he will get better is game time. And he needs to practice those FTs!!
B
BlueK
Some logic fails in this thread, in my respectful opinion.



First of all, it hasn't gone well in general, obviously. And Nixon has gotten a lot of minutes, has done a few things well at times, but can't arguably be said to have played great this year. And it's the coach's job to make changes to address the fact it's not going well.



Also, some rumors I've read on other sites are that Bergersen and Baxter have been progressing this year in practice and deserve to play more based just on that. And you would have to think they were the primary beneficiaries in playing time in the last game from Nixon not playing. Nixon does some things well at times, but I don't think many would argue that those other two guys don't have a lot more upside. Consider the numbers from Saturday:



Bergersen and Baxter in 16 minutes combined for 8 points from shooting 50% from the field, had 6 rebounds, 2 assists, a block and no turnovers. Nixon giving us those numbers would mean he'd still be playing.



When it comes to how the team is doing, of course it's on the coaches. But the fans in the stands can't logically have it both ways. You can justifiably criticize for the team not performing at the level they should be, but when the coach makes a change in playing time to address that fact that actually ended up working out, then also give some credit where it's due.
Advertisement
M
Mars
Jashire is hurt. Nixon is healthy. Rose says right now he has lost a lot of minutes to younger players.
Y
YNot
I like Dalton Nixon. He hustles and usually plays smartly. But, he is 1-for-16 from the three this season and hasn't scored more than 3 points in a game since December 5. In his last 5 games, he didn't score in 2 games and grabbed more than 1 rebound in only one game...despite 10+ minutes playing time. He wasn't getting it done.



Baxter and Bergesen are more athletic and more versatile. So, I don't mind using some of Nixon's minutes to help develop the younger guys. But also, Luke Worthington and Seljaas played pretty well against Santa Clara and combined for 45 minutes playing time...that also kept Nixon on the bench.
F
frdbtr
He played against Pepperdine. Wasn't very effective.
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:

He played against Pepperdine. Wasn't very effective.

Baxter had a really great game.
B
byufan4ever
Mars wrote:


He played against Pepperdine. Wasn't very effective.

Baxter had a really great game.


More alley-oop dunks, please!
Advertisement
G
Guest
Baxter played so well last night that I expect he won't get more than 5 minutes over the next 5 games.
S
SpiffCoug
Nixon plays hard, but he's really just not very good. He's good at hustling and a few rebounds and maybe a garbage put back, but that's it. He's not a difference maker or even a consistent contributor.
G
Gunk
Baxter was big time. Seljaas gave some good minutes too.
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:

Nixon plays hard, but he's really just not very good. He's good at hustling and a few rebounds and maybe a garbage put back, but that's it. He's not a difference maker or even a consistent contributor.

I place this squarely on BYU coaching not being able to develop worth a darn. If you have someone that has the work ethic and drive of Nixon and THIS year's Nixon is all you can achieve, something isn't adding up.

I find it odd that the coaching staff goes from a decent number of minutes for nixon to zero. Gotta find a way to keep him off the bench and contributing, or he's going to be searching for greener pastures.



Agree that Baxter looked good!
G
Gunk
Team came out so flat against SF.



Biggest things, I see, though, we only have two legit players. No one else on this team can score.



Cannon, same player he was last year.

Nixon, same player he was last year.

Worthington, same.

Seljaas, same.

Hardnett, same.

Emery, worse.

Dastrup, gone.



Only players that have gotten better are Childs and Haws. They score 60% of the teams' points.



Childs is gone this year. Next season will be rough.



Time to let Rose go. He isn't developing our players.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Gunk wrote:
Childs is gone this year. Next season will be rough.

Agreed. I don't see Childs coming back next year either.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.