Archived Topic

BYU's total defense #18 in the nation

by Fido · 12/20/2018

Advertisement
F
Fido
1075786080706691072
F
Fido
Offense was 107 from comments on the article. We can see where improvement is needed. Glad some players have begun to emerge and establish themselves. I'm expecting the offense to be better next year with some additions and depth.
M
Mars
Fido wrote:

Offense was 107 from comments on the article. We can see where improvement is needed. Glad some players have begun to emerge and establish themselves. I'm expecting the offense to be better next year with some additions and depth.

And the defense to be much worse.
Y
YNot
Mars wrote:


Offense was 107 from comments on the article. We can see where improvement is needed. Glad some players have begun to emerge and establish themselves. I'm expecting the offense to be better next year with some additions and depth.

And the defense to be much worse.


Why do you expect the defense to be much worse?



Many expected the defense to be in big trouble in 2018 with the loss of Fred Warner and key cogs on the dline. Kaufusi, Takitaki, and Ghanwoluku stepped up and we found some young cornerbacks. I actually can see the case for an improved defense in 2019...but even if it declines, I wouldn't expect it to be 'much worse.'
J
jvquarterback
What is this, 1975? Who cares what the total defense is ranked. Not that they're doing poorly on defense but this is a lame stat.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
BYU opponents total offense rankings:



#11 USU (497.4 ypg)

#23 BSU (459.5 ypg)

#26 Arizona (457.7 ypg)

#38 UMass (437.6 ypg)

#39 Hawaii (434.8 ypg)

#40 Wisc (433.2 ypg)

#59 Wash (412.4 ypg)

#69 Utah (396.0 ypg)

#98 NMSU (370.5 ypg)

#110 Cal (350.2 ypg)

#123 NIU (322.3 ypg)

(FCS) McNeese (290.9 ypg)



So, that schedule on average yields 405.21 ypg--good enough for a #64 overall ypg offensive average. BYU held them to ~80 yards less than average with the offense running a top-50 ball control offense.



I think this defense was slightly above average, but got better toward the end of the season as Tuiaki got the message and started bringing better pressure on the opposing QB. But they were never a top-25 defense in my mind.
M
Mars
YNot wrote:


Fido wrote:

Offense was 107 from comments on the article. We can see where improvement is needed. Glad some players have begun to emerge and establish themselves. I'm expecting the offense to be better next year with some additions and depth.

And the defense to be much worse.


Why do you expect the defense to be much worse?



Many expected the defense to be in big trouble in 2018 with the loss of Fred Warner and key cogs on the dline. Kaufusi, Takitaki, and Ghanwoluku stepped up and we found some young cornerbacks. I actually can see the case for an improved defense in 2019...but even if it declines, I wouldn't expect it to be 'much worse.'

I feel like 45% of our defensive success was due to Corbin Kaufusi, and another 15% to Takitaki. Just look at the games where CK was injured, or mis-used in a poor scheme. Look at ST in our bowl game.
G
Gunk
I feel like this stat just reinforces the idea that our losses were the offense's fault. Our offense didn't give up a 3 TD lead over our rival.
S
SpiffCoug
I haven't updated it yet for the teams that haven't played their bowl game yet. But of the eight opponents who have finished their season all eight were held below the season averages in the following categories when they played BYU:

- Scoring Offense

- Total Yards

- Passing Yards



Only Utah St was able to surpass their averages in Rushing Yards and Passing Efficiency Rating. Arizona, McNeese St, Hawaii, Northern Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico St, and Western Michigan were held below those averages.



It will be interesting to see how the five remaining teams finish when looking at the BYU game to their season averages.
B
BoiseBYU
SpiffCoug wrote:

I haven't updated it yet for the teams that haven't played their bowl game yet. But of the eight opponents who have finished their season all eight were held below the season averages in the following categories when they played BYU:

- Scoring Offense

- Total Yards

- Passing Yards



Only Utah St was able to surpass their averages in Rushing Yards and Passing Efficiency Rating. Arizona, McNeese St, Hawaii, Northern Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico St, and Western Michigan were held below those averages.



It will be interesting to see how the five remaining teams finish when looking at the BYU game to their season averages.

Certainly sounds like our defense was solid this year....I will be interested in the final results.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:


Mars wrote:


Offense was 107 from comments on the article. We can see where improvement is needed. Glad some players have begun to emerge and establish themselves. I'm expecting the offense to be better next year with some additions and depth.

And the defense to be much worse.


Why do you expect the defense to be much worse?



Many expected the defense to be in big trouble in 2018 with the loss of Fred Warner and key cogs on the dline. Kaufusi, Takitaki, and Ghanwoluku stepped up and we found some young cornerbacks. I actually can see the case for an improved defense in 2019...but even if it declines, I wouldn't expect it to be 'much worse.'

I feel like 45% of our defensive success was due to Corbin Kaufusi, and another 15% to Takitaki. Just look at the games where CK was injured, or mis-used in a poor scheme. Look at ST in our bowl game.


Well according to our coaches, Isaiah Kaufusi was 100% our defense since it was after he was injured that the utes scored 28 points to win the game.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.