Archived Topic

BYU vs Western Michigan - the numbers

by El Guapo · 12/19/2018

Advertisement
E
El Guapo
Did a little bit of research into how both teams rank nationally offensively and defensively. And based on the results, looks as if BYU's key to victory will be their run game. Western Michigan is ranked much higher in scoring offense, rushing offense, passing offense and total offense, however, the Cougs are much better defensively in all areas. But Western Michigan is decent against the pass, however, against the run they are vulnerable and so if BYU can establish the ground game and rush for 175+ yards, they probably win. This will most likely be a closer game than most Y fans think.
F
frdbtr
Well, I'm expecting a loss so a close win would be a bonus for me.
S
scott715
Need to win the turnover battle.
S
scott715
They are playing a backup freshman QB. Need to put pressure on him and confuse him.
Advertisement
J
Jarhead
I could see us blowing the doors off of Western Michigan, winning close, or losing close. I don't see us getting crushed by Western Michigan no matter what happens.



We will see.
F
frdbtr
scott715 wrote:

They are playing a backup freshman QB. Need to put pressure on him and confuse him.


Something that Tuiaki has not done consistantly since he has been here.
E
El Guapo
frdbtr wrote:

Well, I'm expecting a loss so a close win would be a bonus for me.

Really? How? Why? Even with them starting a backup freshman QB?
S
SpiffCoug
scott715 wrote:

They are playing a backup freshman QB. Need to put pressure on him and confuse him.


Done. BYU has excelled this year in pressuring opposing QBs and confusing them into making mistakes.
B
BlueK
Nationally, BYU ranks:

#18 in total yards per game allowed

#26 in rushing yards per game allowed

#29 in team passing efficiency defense

#28 in scoring defense



This comes against a schedule that overall is stronger than a MAC schedule. I don't think W. Michigan will put up big numbers on offense.



As usual it's going to be about what our offense can do.



Then again, bowl games like this are a lot like the NIT in basketball. What you get from a team is dependent on how interested they are in being there. In BYU's case I would like to think they will want to play hard and win since they had a losing record last year and didn't get to go to a bowl game.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
El Guapo wrote:


Well, I'm expecting a loss so a close win would be a bonus for me.

Really? How? Why? Even with them starting a backup freshman QB?


Because this team has a pulse. BYU has lost to every quality opponent they have played this year. I believe this team also beat NIU but I could be wrong about that.
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:


frdbtr wrote:

Well, I'm expecting a loss so a close win would be a bonus for me.

Really? How? Why? Even with them starting a backup freshman QB?


Because this team has a pulse. BYU has lost to every quality opponent they have played this year. I believe this team also beat NIU but I could be wrong about that.

You are not incorrect.
G
Guest
How did NIU end up doing in their bowl game? I saw they were playing the other night, but I didn't see the final.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
I didn’t watch to the end, but they looked pathetic and were loosing pretty soundly for the 2+ quarters I watched.
F
frdbtr
Ygridiron4ever wrote:

I didn’t watch to the end, but they looked pathetic and were loosing pretty soundly for the 2+ quarters I watched.


Kind of like the utes against us.
Advertisement
M
Mars
Ygridiron4ever wrote:

I didn’t watch to the end, but they looked pathetic and were loosing pretty soundly for the 2+ quarters I watched.

UAB was favored by 1. They won 37-13.
S
Sharper
BYU's key to victory will be their run game


Great job convincing Western Michigan of that as well!!! :D
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.