Archived Topic

Scathing review of Potato Bowl

by hawkwing · 12/15/2018

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I can't disagree with him other than when he says that the worse BYU plays the more fans love Kalani. I think that might be true of the administration, but not the fans.
S
snoscythe
frdbtr wrote:

I can't disagree with him other than when he says that the worse BYU plays the more fans love Kalani. I think that might be true of the administration, but not the fans.


Yeah, there's a reason his Coach's show has empty seats
J
jadesroom
I just wonder if the person/organization has national relevance. On a BYU fan level, I've heard much worse on here.
F
Fido
Oh no.....some guy with a twitter account who describes himself as "Some guy from Ogden that likes BYU, The Killers, Brazil, and Weber State." doesn't like Sitake, or this bowl game matchup. Boo hoo.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Fido wrote:

Oh no.....some guy with a twitter account who describes himself as "Some guy from Ogden that likes BYU, The Killers, Brazil, and Weber State." doesn't like Sitake, or this bowl game matchup. Boo hoo.


I think you're confusing the person who quote tweeted the original tweet as the author. Chappy is the guy from Ogden. TheComeback, I have no idea who they are, but I don't think they are a Utah based sporting account.
F
Fido
hawkwing wrote:


Oh no.....some guy with a twitter account who describes himself as "Some guy from Ogden that likes BYU, The Killers, Brazil, and Weber State." doesn't like Sitake, or this bowl game matchup. Boo hoo.


I think you're confusing the person who quote tweeted the original tweet as the author. Chappy is the guy from Ogden. TheComeback, I have no idea who they are, but I don't think they are a Utah based sporting account.


Author is Yesh Ginsburg. No, I've never heard of him before either. There is little to no background on him so I doubt he is anyone of any reputation either.
B
BoiseBYU
I’ve pretty much figured out that if I want to get out of the Christmas spirit, just come on here and read. That’ll do the trick. The negativity is over the top in my judgment. Bag bag bag. Whine whine whine. The grass is always greener with some other mythical AD or coach or player or play caller. We should’ve gone undefeated or 10-2 and to not do so in inexcusable. Wah wah wah. Jettison the honor code! Ignore academic standards! Sure things aren’t as good as even a reasonable fan would like, and I understand that places like this are more likely to appeal to the bellyachers than those seeing something good and worth acknowledging, but man, What a bunch of gloom and doom. I hope things turn around for you. I doubt saying the same things over and over will. But maybe I’m wrong.
F
Fido
1074405846975541248
F
frdbtr
I wonder how many more losing or 6-6 seasons it will take before some fans actually turn on this guy. I can't believe that all of BYU fandom isn't up in arms. For crying out loud, 8-5 or 9-3 wasn't good enough for Bronco and now all of a sudden, 6-6 and the Idaho Potato bowl is a step in the right direction.
Advertisement
F
Fido
frdbtr wrote:

I wonder how many more losing or 6-6 seasons it will take before some fans actually turn on this guy. I can't believe that all of BYU fandom isn't up in arms. For crying out loud, 8-5 or 9-3 wasn't good enough for Bronco and now all of a sudden, 6-6 and the Idaho Potato bowl is a step in the right direction.


So if I'm reading you correctly, 1 losing season and/or 1 6-6 season is enough to fire a guy? It took 3 losing seasons before Crowton resigned. Bronco went 6-6 in season 1 as coach--were you calling for his job then too?

I was not in the 'fire Bronco crowd', but you certainly must admit that the competition this year is not the same competition that Bronco faced as an independent. There has definitely been rebuilding necessary with major injuries and attrition at key spots and a change in desired personnel with the coaching changes. But the success of the young players this year give encouragement that the ship is heading in a positive direction in the face of the tougher schedule necessary for respect.
C
CrimsonCoug
This guys a troll. Of the first 15 bowls he reviews (and I only went down that far), he's overtly pessimistic in all but two of them.

I wouldn't be too concerned.



My own thoughts are that, small picture, I'm very glad we're headed to a bowl. Even the bottom of the spud barrel bowl. Tuiaki's defense improved this year, but they're breaking in a lot of new players over the bowl season. I still have faith that Grimes can become a solid OC, but he needs more time on the job. And heaven knows that our young players need all the time and reps they can get to be able to be more effective in the offseason and have a hope at not flunking out during the murderer's row of the opening slate next season.



Big picture, I think Kalani's learning curve about how to make things tick at BYU has been hampered by his own incoming hubris and a 'poisoned well' working at Utah and souring him on Bronco's approach. But he's coming around. That's not to say that I think he'll be as good as his predecessor or either of his two main mentors (Lavell and Whitt), but I do think his lately realized resolutions will yield results. Kalani's teams were also hampered by Detmer, as painful as it is to acknowledge that. Ty just didn't have the organizational skills to manage the entire offense outside of game day, and neither he nor Kalani had the demeanor to hold players accountable--making it hard for the players to hold each other accountable.



If I were to guess, I think Kalani will plateau at the 6/7/8 wins per season mark. He won't get fired. He'll get one extension and then either the fanbase will resolve itself to adjust to the new normal, or some new AD will get ambitious in Kalani's second year of his second contract and will move to bring in some new blood. BYU won't be invited into a better league situation over the next 5 years. After that, my crystal ball gets murky.
G
Guest
Fido wrote:

1074405846975541248


:lol: :lol: :lol:
F
frdbtr
Fido wrote:


I wonder how many more losing or 6-6 seasons it will take before some fans actually turn on this guy. I can't believe that all of BYU fandom isn't up in arms. For crying out loud, 8-5 or 9-3 wasn't good enough for Bronco and now all of a sudden, 6-6 and the Idaho Potato bowl is a step in the right direction.


So if I'm reading you correctly, 1 losing season and/or 1 6-6 season is enough to fire a guy? It took 3 losing seasons before Crowton resigned. Bronco went 6-6 in season 1 as coach--were you calling for his job then too?

I was not in the 'fire Bronco crowd', but you certainly must admit that the competition this year is not the same competition that Bronco faced as an independent. There has definitely been rebuilding necessary with major injuries and attrition at key spots and a change in desired personnel with the coaching changes. But the success of the young players this year give encouragement that the ship is heading in a positive direction in the face of the tougher schedule necessary for respect.


You are reading me correct, and all of your excuses are exactly that.
K
KYCoug
I have to say this and I'm sure many will disagree but I remember when I first started following BYU sports in the early 70's they were pretty irrelevant. Then came Coach Edwards and he surrounded himself with some very talented assistants and then things started happening. It just looks to me the Y is headed back to sports irrelevance and I wonder if it is being done by design as a precursor to ending major sports at the Y. I hope not because I have always enjoyed following BYU sports. Things need to get better!



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, Ky
Advertisement
E
El Guapo
frdbtr wrote:

I wonder how many more losing or 6-6 seasons it will take before some fans actually turn on this guy. I can't believe that all of BYU fandom isn't up in arms. For crying out loud, 8-5 or 9-3 wasn't good enough for Bronco and now all of a sudden, 6-6 and the Idaho Potato bowl is a step in the right direction.

Amen!
E
El Guapo
KYCoug wrote:

I have to say this and I'm sure many will disagree but I remember when I first started following BYU sports in the early 70's they were pretty irrelevant. Then came Coach Edwards and he surrounded himself with some very talented assistants and then things started happening. It just looks to me the Y is headed back to sports irrelevance and I wonder if it is being done by design as a precursor to ending major sports at the Y. I hope not because I have always enjoyed following BYU sports. Things need to get better!



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, Ky

There is actually an unconfirmed rumor circulating within church circles that that is the case.
Y
YNot
Ha! I hope you're referring to the unconfirmed rumor circulating that things need to get better.



If not, someone better tell Holmoe. He can't be scheduling and then announcing future football games against the likes of Arkansas five years from now. That doesn't fit into the strategy.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.