Archived Topic

What to expect

by tdawg · 12/4/2018

Advertisement
T
tdawg
I'm a long time lurker, but don't post often, but I've been around long enough to know there are several of you who might be able to give me some good advice. I just bought bowl game tickets. I'm taking my son and daughter. I've never been to Boise. Here are my questions. First- What's the drive like from Provo. In December, what kind of conditions should I expect, obviously depending on weather. Second, what is there to do in Boise? Restaurants? Any insights will be helpful.
B
BoiseBYU
It is about six hours between Provo and Boise. Check the road report, especially for the stretch between Tremonton and Burley, Idaho. If it is stormy that part can get funky. I love the drive--lots of open space and mountains, but not so much if it is snowing. Pretty much no gas between Snowville and Burley/Rupert. Boise has all sorts of restaurants to suit your preference. Quite a few of them downtown. If you have time, a walk along the greenbelt which borders the Boise river is beautiful and peaceful. Checking the Capitol out in its holiday regalia is cool. Temperatures, barring a storm, should be in the high 30's, low 40's for the game, assuming it is an afternoon game. I hope you enjoy the game!
M
Mars
Try the steak fingers (I think they are called).



Basically Steak McNuggets.
W
Wolverine
The old State Prison is a pretty cool tour and visit and so is the Birds of Prey Center. On your drive over, if you have a few extra minutes, stop in Twin Falls and check out the views of the Snake River Canyon from the Perrine Bridge. Not sure if Shoshone Falls is open this time of year. It is winter and Boise is really an outdoor mecca. The downtown area close to campus has some nice restaurants and is a nice area. Have fun. Me and my son will be heading over from Eastern Idaho.
B
BroncoBot
BoiseBYU wrote:

It is about six hours between Provo and Boise. Check the road report, especially for the stretch between Tremonton and Burley, Idaho. If it is stormy that part can get funky. I love the drive--lots of open space and mountains, but not so much if it is snowing. Pretty much no gas between Snowville and Burley/Rupert. Boise has all sorts of restaurants to suit your preference. Quite a few of them downtown. If you have time, a walk along the greenbelt which borders the Boise river is beautiful and peaceful. Checking the Capitol out in its holiday regalia is cool. Temperatures, barring a storm, should be in the high 30's, low 40's for the game, assuming it is an afternoon game. I hope you enjoy the game!

Sweetzer!
Advertisement
F
Fido
The drive is what...6 hours of not-much-to-see. Snow can slow you down significantly in the remote areas of Idaho as described. If you can afford it a flight from SLC is just under an hour IIRC. For me there isn't a ton of must-see things in Boise itself. Unless you are into the outdoors in winter.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.