Archived Topic

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl roll call

by SpiffCoug · 12/2/2018

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Who's going?



I'll be there with my boys and possibly dad as well.
B
BoiseBYU
Alas of all the days I will be out of state. There in spirit.
J
jadesroom
I woke up a few minutes ago and one of the first things I did was read this thread and I thought, "Who'd go to a sucky bowl like that? Boise in December? I live here and wouldn't want to attend." Then I remembered that bowl games were supposed to be announced this afternoon so I looked to see where BYU would be going. My first reaction, "Well, we did have a sucky season."



I've always felt this bowl was a joke and an enbarrassment to the college bowl season. Boise in December?



So much for ESPN taking care of us.



The transformation is complete. The Potato Bowl is where Utah State in years past hoped to go to have a good time. Now we're both Utah's and USU's little brother.



Would a loss to Western Michigan mean a new coach next year?
K
KingCoug
Somebody pointed out Sitake has only 4 wins against teams with a winning record...



2016: Toledo, Wyoming

2017: None

2018: Wisconsin, Hawaii



So a win against 7-5 Western Michigan isn't a foregone conclusion.
W
Wolverine
I'll be there with the wife, son, and son-in-law. Why not? Easy 3.5 hour drive each way, balmy 38 degrees if lucky, and steel bleacher seats. Go Cougs!
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
I thought this was going to be a roll call to see who was going to watch on tv...honestly didn't expect a good turnout for even that...
G
Guest
Definitely not me!
F
Fido
1069370172794843136
F
frdbtr
BYU doesn't deserve to be in a bowl game, this is a consolation. I don't think ESPN is very happy with us right now.
F
Fido
frdbtr wrote:

BYU doesn't deserve to be in a bowl game, this is a consolation. I don't think ESPN is very happy with us right now.


Why wouldn't ESPN be happy with BYU? They picked up the 2019 option on the deal at the rates from the original TV deal a while ago. ESPN doesn't care about wins/losses. They just want to put on a good game that draws some ratings--usually in that tough late night time slot after the east coast has mostly gone to bed. BYU deserves their bowl game as much as any 6-6 team does. Several 6-6 teams didn't get a game (sorry Wyoming and others).
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Fido wrote:


BYU doesn't deserve to be in a bowl game, this is a consolation. I don't think ESPN is very happy with us right now.


Why wouldn't ESPN be happy with BYU? They picked up the 2019 option on the deal at the rates from the original TV deal a while ago. ESPN doesn't care about wins/losses. They just want to put on a good game that draws some ratings--usually in that tough late night time slot after the east coast has mostly gone to bed. BYU deserves their bowl game as much as any 6-6 team does. Several 6-6 teams didn't get a game (sorry Wyoming and others).


Well, other than the fact that our games are about as exciting as watching paint dry.......
J
jadesroom
Despite my earlier rant, Sunday evening my perspective changed and I may actually attend the game. I'm not sure if the change came because I listened to President Nelson's Christmas message or because my brother-in-law said he'd buy the tickets.
F
Fido
frdbtr wrote:

Well, other than the fact that our games are about as exciting as watching paint dry.......

What kind of painting is it you do? :lol:

There have been some stinker games, yes. But to characterize the season like "watching paint dry" is lame.
Y
Yzzazz
frdbtr wrote:


frdbtr wrote:

BYU doesn't deserve to be in a bowl game, this is a consolation. I don't think ESPN is very happy with us right now.


Why wouldn't ESPN be happy with BYU? They picked up the 2019 option on the deal at the rates from the original TV deal a while ago. ESPN doesn't care about wins/losses. They just want to put on a good game that draws some ratings--usually in that tough late night time slot after the east coast has mostly gone to bed. BYU deserves their bowl game as much as any 6-6 team does. Several 6-6 teams didn't get a game (sorry Wyoming and others).


Well, other than the fact that our games are about as exciting as watching paint dry.......


Certainly was no drama in the rivalry game. :roll:
S
scott715
I have enjoyed watching the games this year. Sorry to see the season end and then wait for next year.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
So did Wyoming lose out on going to a bowl because of us? They were 6-6 and someone told me that we took their bowl spot. LOL. I really think 8 wins should be the minimum for a "reward" of a post season bowl game.
W
Wolverine
byufan4ever wrote:

So did Wyoming lose out on going to a bowl because of us? They were 6-6 and someone told me that we took their bowl spot. LOL. I really think 8 wins should be the minimum for a "reward" of a post season bowl game.

Wyoming wasn't getting in regardless. ESPN called the shots. Sent Boise St. to a non-MWC affiliated bowl in Texas in exchange for BYU taking a spot in Potato Bowl, which is MWC affiliated. ESPN was contracted to find a bowl for BYU when BYU became bowl eligible (BYU originally was contracted with Poinsettia Bowl, which folded). This actually worked out better for Boise St. and also MWC.
B
BoiseBYU
Fido wrote:


Well, other than the fact that our games are about as exciting as watching paint dry.......

What kind of painting is it you do? :lol:

There have been some stinker games, yes. But to characterize the season like "watching paint dry" is lame.


I'm with Fido on this one--AZ, CA, UT, BSU and WI games were about as exciting as you can get. I know we lost 3 of those, but that does not change the excitement of them all....
F
frdbtr
Yzzazz wrote:


Fido wrote:


BYU doesn't deserve to be in a bowl game, this is a consolation. I don't think ESPN is very happy with us right now.


Why wouldn't ESPN be happy with BYU? They picked up the 2019 option on the deal at the rates from the original TV deal a while ago. ESPN doesn't care about wins/losses. They just want to put on a good game that draws some ratings--usually in that tough late night time slot after the east coast has mostly gone to bed. BYU deserves their bowl game as much as any 6-6 team does. Several 6-6 teams didn't get a game (sorry Wyoming and others).


Well, other than the fact that our games are about as exciting as watching paint dry.......


Certainly was no drama in the rivalry game. :roll:


There wasn't any Drama in the rivalry game. I knew mid way through the 3rd quarter that it was just a matter of time before BYU lost it.
F
frdbtr
BoiseBYU wrote:


frdbtr wrote:

Well, other than the fact that our games are about as exciting as watching paint dry.......

What kind of painting is it you do? :lol:

There have been some stinker games, yes. But to characterize the season like "watching paint dry" is lame.


I'm with Fido on this one--AZ, CA, UT, BSU and WI games were about as exciting as you can get. I know we lost 3 of those, but that does not change the excitement of them all....


I would agree that the AZ and WI games were exciting. CAL sucked, the offense was bad and the defense couldn't stop cal in the second half at all. UT and BSU both sucked. Maybe outside fans liked both the games because of drama but I. I literally hate watching our defense and our offense has been average at best. The NIU game was as awful of a football game as you can possibly watch and the other blowouts weren't very exciting. Why in the world do you think the ESPN announcers sit there and talk about Zach Wilson all game, they are trying to generate excitement for a stinker of a game.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.