Archived Topic

This guy is our best option

by KingCoug · 11/25/2018

Advertisement
K
KingCoug
Lance Anderson, currently DC and Co-HC at Stanford.



He's LDS.



He expressed interest in the BYU HC job during the search.



He's known to be a great recruiter.



He knows how it is to coach at a university with high standards/restrictions.



After Sitake & Co. underperform in 2019, starting off with a probable 9th in a row loss to Utah, I hope that dimwit AD of ours is at least smart enough to get on the phone and offer Anderson the job.




usa-today-8532941.0.jpg
K
KingCoug
I should note that, even with a major improvement in our coaching, it won't be enough without an AD who is willing and able to convince the BoT that more money needs to be invested in the program.
S
SpiffCoug
I would fully support BYU hiring a non-LDS employee to coach football.
U
Ungoy
The BOT really needs to reconsider the rule limiting head coaches to active Church members with temple recommends. I think that it is 100% ridiculous that we intentionally limit the hiring pool like that. There are a lot of good, honest people out there who are automatically disqualified from BYU simply because they aren't members of the Church.
J
jadesroom
I prefer someone with proven ability as a head coach. That list realistically is only two: Jay Hill or Ken N. Of the two, Hill is the most realisitic.
Advertisement
A
a1247
jadesroom wrote:

I prefer someone with proven ability as a head coach. That list realistically is only two: Jay Hill or Ken N. Of the two, Hill is the most realisitic.


Bronco didn't have head coaching experience and that worked out. Gary Crowton had previous head coaching experience and that didn't work out at all.



None of this matters. It took 3 losing season and the rap investigation before Crowton got fired.

It doesn't matter how much anyone on here hates KS he isn't going anywhere unless he steps down.
F
frdbtr
Ungoy wrote:

The BOT really needs to reconsider the rule limiting head coaches to active Church members with temple recommends. I think that it is 100% ridiculous that we intentionally limit the hiring pool like that. There are a lot of good, honest people out there who are automatically disqualified from BYU simply because they aren't members of the Church.


I think that there needs to be a lot of changes in athletics at BYU in order to be competitive in this hyper sensative media situation. I think the Honor code needs changed. BYU shouldn't lower their standards but enforcement needs completely overhauled. I don't think kids should summarily be kicked out of school for honor code enfractions, I think they need to be handled by the kids ecclesiastical leader unless the kid is a serial breaker of the honor code, then being removed from school could be considered. I don't think we need to hire coaches that are temple recommend holding, just ones that buy into the mission of the school 100%. I think that BYU should consider lowering the self inflicted Stanford style academic standards that were imposed in the mid 2000's. All of these things together would turn BYU back into a powerhouse like it was in the 80's. Right now we are little brother to not only the utes but to utah state as well.
R
redneckjedi
If you lower academic standards, you have to be able to absorb probably double the number of accepted students - or have a double standard for athletes. The standards are high because the are so many applicants, and BYU takes the best ones.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
The previous two comments are spot on and the challenge moving forward will be reconciling what it takes to be successful alongside standards of behavior and character, which is nothing new here at BYU fandom.



I do think Kalani can bring success to the program. I am of the opinion that one more season is appropriate. I honestly think that BYU will beat the hell out of Utah in week 1 in 2019 and that the program is on an upward trajectory.



That said, I also wish the trajectory was sloping much higher and quicker.



As a business analyst (insert here a shameless self promo for jwpresearch.com) I think the most important indication of success is the overall trajectory. These two facts will keep Kalani for at least one more season:



1. We won more games this year than last year.

2. We are going to a bowl game this year, but did not last year.



The other facts are challenges to this overall trajectory. Losing a big lead to Utah=big observation of failure. Total loss to Utah State= big observation of failure. That said, the W on the road against ranked Wisconsin presents discussion of how the wins balance out, which leaves the main point of overall trajectory as most important.



Coach Sitake will keep his job. The bowl eligibility gives more practices in prep for 2019. BYU will continue to improve. As the schedules get harder, I do think the program is rising with it, I just wish it happened faster and easier. The constraints of the program do limit this.



I also think 2019 will be a good one as Zach Wilson finds his groove. His performance against Utah very much impressed me. He would never provide a cowardly fumble situation like Jake Heaps did. After the interception, he was all out trying to tackle the Ute defender. He has the Max Hall competitiveness which this program needs in the huddle.



I love BYU and always wish every ounce of success. The university helped my life be successful.
K
KingCoug
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:

The previous two comments are spot on and the challenge moving forward will be reconciling what it takes to be successful alongside standards of behavior and character, which is nothing new here at BYU fandom.



I do think Kalani can bring success to the program. I am of the opinion that one more season is appropriate. I honestly think that BYU will beat the hell out of Utah in week 1 in 2019 and that the program is on an upward trajectory.



That said, I also wish the trajectory was sloping much higher and quicker.



As a business analyst (insert here a shameless self promo for jwpresearch.com) I think the most important indication of success is the overall trajectory. These two facts will keep Kalani for at least one more season:



1. We won more games this year than last year.

2. We are going to a bowl game this year, but did not last year.



The other facts are challenges to this overall trajectory. Losing a big lead to Utah=big observation of failure. Total loss to Utah State= big observation of failure. That said, the W on the road against ranked Wisconsin presents discussion of how the wins balance out, which leaves the main point of overall trajectory as most important.



Coach Sitake will keep his job. The bowl eligibility gives more practices in prep for 2019. BYU will continue to improve. As the schedules get harder, I do think the program is rising with it, I just wish it happened faster and easier. The constraints of the program do limit this.



I also think 2019 will be a good one as Zach Wilson finds his groove. His performance against Utah very much impressed me. He would never provide a cowardly fumble situation like Jake Heaps did. After the interception, he was all out trying to tackle the Ute defender. He has the Max Hall competitiveness which this program needs in the huddle.



I love BYU and always wish every ounce of success. The university helped my life be successful.


While Sitake would be gone if it were up to me, I've always known he would at least get the final year on his contract regardless of what happened this year.



Yes, there has been marginal improvement. I think the concern for many, however, is the long term success of the program and whether Sitake is the best guy for us.



If I thought this current coaching staff could get it done with time, I could be patient. But I've never really had that feeling. And I'm not sure what they could do to make me to even begin to reconsider. But beating Utah in the opening game next year would be a good start.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
This season had 1 up and too many downs. We lost to teams we had no business losing to, and beat 1 team that, at the time, seemed like we had no business beating(time has proven otherwise). I think Kalani should be fired right now, he should have been fired after losing to Utah state IMO. Yes, he will be given another season, a season which will be hard for me to stomach. If he doesn't show the ability to get the guys up for every game, including the NIU's of the world, I don't care what else the record is, he needs to be gone.
Y
YNot
KingCoug wrote:


The previous two comments are spot on and the challenge moving forward will be reconciling what it takes to be successful alongside standards of behavior and character, which is nothing new here at BYU fandom.



I do think Kalani can bring success to the program. I am of the opinion that one more season is appropriate. I honestly think that BYU will beat the hell out of Utah in week 1 in 2019 and that the program is on an upward trajectory.



That said, I also wish the trajectory was sloping much higher and quicker.



As a business analyst (insert here a shameless self promo for jwpresearch.com) I think the most important indication of success is the overall trajectory. These two facts will keep Kalani for at least one more season:



1. We won more games this year than last year.

2. We are going to a bowl game this year, but did not last year.



The other facts are challenges to this overall trajectory. Losing a big lead to Utah=big observation of failure. Total loss to Utah State= big observation of failure. That said, the W on the road against ranked Wisconsin presents discussion of how the wins balance out, which leaves the main point of overall trajectory as most important.



Coach Sitake will keep his job. The bowl eligibility gives more practices in prep for 2019. BYU will continue to improve. As the schedules get harder, I do think the program is rising with it, I just wish it happened faster and easier. The constraints of the program do limit this.



I also think 2019 will be a good one as Zach Wilson finds his groove. His performance against Utah very much impressed me. He would never provide a cowardly fumble situation like Jake Heaps did. After the interception, he was all out trying to tackle the Ute defender. He has the Max Hall competitiveness which this program needs in the huddle.



I love BYU and always wish every ounce of success. The university helped my life be successful.


While Sitake would be gone if it were up to me, I've always known he would at least get the final year on his contract regardless of what happened this year.



Yes, there has been marginal improvement. I think the concern for many, however, is the long term success of the program and whether Sitake is the best guy for us.



If I thought this current coaching staff could get it done with time, I could be patient. But I've never really had that feeling. And I'm not sure what they could do to make me to even begin to reconsider. But beating Utah in the opening game next year would be a good start.


To continue an upward trajectory, 2019 BYU has to:



1) have a winning overall record and make a bowl game.



2) have a winning record at home (we will get at least 1 P5 win if we get 4 wins in Provo).



3) beat 2 out of Utah, Utah St., and Boise St.
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:

This season had 1 up and too many downs. We lost to teams we had no business losing to, and beat 1 team that, at the time, seemed like we had no business beating(time has proven otherwise). I think Kalani should be fired right now, he should have been fired after losing to Utah state IMO. Yes, he will be given another season, a season which will be hard for me to stomach. If he doesn't show the ability to get the guys up for every game, including the NIU's of the world, I don't care what else the record is, he needs to be gone.


Agreed. Some may disagree but BYU should have finished the regular season 10-2 at worst this year.



Lose to Cal at home by 3 points. Should have been a W.



Lose to friggin Northern Illinois at home by 1 point. Should have been a W.



Lose to Boise State on last play of the game. Should of been a W.



Led Utah by 20 points with six minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Should have been a W.



Only Washington and Utah State (barf) were games that are understandable losses. And even if one wants to argue we had no business beating Wisconsin, that's still 9-3.



That's all on the coaches.


YNot wrote:
To continue an upward trajectory, 2019 BYU has to:



1) have a winning overall record and make a bowl game.



2) have a winning record at home (we will get at least 1 P5 win if we get 4 wins in Provo).



3) beat 2 out of Utah, Utah St., and Boise St.


We better beat both Utah (who we have on a quick turnaround at home) and Utah State (who is losing their HC). No excuses.
J
jadesroom
KingCoug wrote:



Agreed. Some may disagree but BYU should have finished the regular season 10-2 at worst this year.



Lose to Cal at home by 3 points. Should have been a W.



Lose to friggin Northern Illinois at home by 1 point. Should have been a W.



Lose to Boise State on last play of the game. Should of been a W.



Led Utah by 20 points with six minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Should have been a W.



Only Washington and Utah State (barf) were games that are understandable losses. And even if one wants to argue we had no business beating Wisconsin, that's still 9-3.



That's all on the coaches.



We better beat both Utah (who we have on a quick turnaround at home) and Utah State (who is losing their HC). No excuses.


I can't disagree with anything you say. I said before the season that I thought the worst we could do was 6-6. As with everyone, I thought we'd lose to Washington and Wisconsin, but I also thought we would, or strongly could, beat everyone else. The joy of the Wisconsin game quickly dissipated with a few headscratching losses, some disappointments, and the reality that our coaches make some dumb decisions.
N
nuk13
I think BYU should look for someone like Coach Edwards who I'm quite sure had a recommend. Maybe Sitake can grow into that I don't know. I assume by BOT you mean the board of trustees which is the first presidency and the apostles. I think they would prefer someone like that.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
nuk13 wrote:

I think BYU should look for someone like Coach Edwards who I'm quite sure had a recommend. Maybe Sitake can grow into that I don't know. I assume by BOT you mean the board of trustees which is the first presidency and the apostles. I think they would prefer someone like that.


Guys like Lavell don't exist anymore.
F
Fido
KingCoug wrote:

Agreed. Some may disagree but BYU should have finished the regular season 10-2 at worst this year.

...


Sorry, stopped reading there.
J
jadesroom
nuk13 wrote:

I think BYU should look for someone like Coach Edwards who I'm quite sure had a recommend. Maybe Sitake can grow into that I don't know. I assume by BOT you mean the board of trustees which is the first presidency and the apostles. I think they would prefer someone like that.


The Board of Trustees actually includes the First Presidency, a few apostles, some other general authorities, and a few others that I don't recognize:



https://catalog.byu.edu/about-byu/administration
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I think year 3 of the Sitake era might have a shot at a special season. Hear me out.



Let's say that the offense does due diligence in the offseason and continues to develop. Jeff Grimes, ZachW, the Oline, and others make strides through the bowl game. Maybe we get Ula Tolutau back later also. Let's say through bowl prep, spring ball, and fall camp the team gels nicely and hits the ground running in week 1.



If BYU can make a statement win against Utah, it would create momentum through the rest of a difficult schedule. BYU should have an easier trip to Tennessee in week 2 (they are down as a program anyway), then hits USC hard in week 3. We then get an epic showdown opportunity with Washington.



Let's say 3-1 BYU then goes to Toledo and pulls out a shootout victory. We then have 14 days to prep for a trip to Logan with revenge on the mind. I think a 5-1 start in 2019 would cruise through the rest of the schedule.



BYU has a decently balanced schedule next year. I think Coach Sitake makes the adjustments needed for a great season and locks down a contract extension. The program is on the way up. I imagine we lose Grimes at the end of a special 2019 season, but we will do okay after. I do trust Kalani and I think the pieces are in place.



Things we need:

More big plays from the receivers. More consistent run block. More depth generally (this one is big). More havoc and turnovers from the D.
J
jadesroom
I'm usually extremely optimistic, but the Utah State games and Northern Illinois games changed that optimism. Even though I was wrong about losing to either UMass or NMSU, the Utah game once again showed the ineptitude of our coaching staff.



2019: We lose our first eight games, go 3-9, and perhaps get a new coaching staff.



Enjoy the bowl game. We ain't gonna get another one for a while.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.