Archived Topic

Early, but what do you think...

by EM_Puma · 11/15/2018

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
What do you think of the new team?



Few data points, but so far I like (in this order):

1. Yoeli Childs (goes without saying)

2. TJ Haws

3. Dalton Nixon

4. Jahsire Harnett

5. Gavin Baxter

6. Connor Harding



Most disappointed in:

1. Zac Seljaas (what happened to him going on a mission? It's like Capt. Junah in Bagger Vance, he apparently lost his shot and can't find it)

2. Kolby Lee (he was supposed to be so awesome, but still seems so raw)

3. Luke Worthington (I didn't think he'd make any mark, but last year he impressed me, but can't seem to make the floor yet this year.)
Q
Qman
Funny how people see the same thing and think different things.



I thought Seljaas looked better this year. He is a little better at handling the ball and using his size to drive. His jumper hasn't been lights out but he has be okay.



TJ seems like a player who is going to fade against better teams due to lack of strength. I have no hope of him ever correcting this.



Harnett has been good. His ability to drive and finish is a key part of our offense.
B
byufan4ever
Childs - Passing has improved. Has developed a nice floater and some new inside moves. Good rebounder for his size. But must improve his shot range. Too small for C especially at the next level.



Haws - Above average player who will never live up to his hype. Too inconsistent.



Nixon - Does a little bit of everything but not great at anything. Always want a guy like this on the team.



Hardnett - Reminds me of Avery Johnson (I told him this at the Cougar Tip Off).



Baxter - My favorite up and coming player. He's got potential, size, athletic ability, and supposedly can shoot as well. IMO deserves more minutes and would like to see him start along side Childs.



Harding - Supposedly shoots lights out in practice, would like to see that in game.



Seljaas - If he can just be a 3 point specialist for us then I'll be happy. And I'm glad he got rid of that bad haircut.



Lee - Reminds me of Greg Oden in that he looks A LOT older than his age.



Worthington - His Fr year I thought he didn't even deserve to be in Div I but last year he pleasantly surprised me. He just needs to know his role which is to defend and rebound and not pick up 2 fouls in 15 seconds.



Bergersen - I thought that he'd take a big step this year and see more playing time but if he can't shoot I'm not sure what he brings to the table.



Cannon - He's a decent backup PG.
S
snoscythe
....and then in a few weeks we get to reboot and try to figure out how to fit Harry "VW" Potter into the lineup.
A
ABYUFAN
snoscythe wrote:

....and then in a few weeks we get to reboot and try to figure out how to fit Harry "VW" Potter into the lineup.


That's an easy adjustment to make... whenever the team needs early-in-the-shot clock threes jacked up just bring in "Mr. Lumineer" and let him work his magic
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
It's going to be an interesting year for Nick, he's got a lot of fans stacked up against him for what he did. I hate what he did, but I seriously don't think the coaches could have brought in more talent than you get with him, so I'm glad he's there. Whether he returned to play or not, it appears BYU would have been bold face slapped for what he did. This way maybe we get something out of it.
C
CrimsonCoug
From what I've seen of Nick, he'll be out to prove something to everyone. That will mean he

a) Works extremely hard in practice, is humble and coachable, and fixes the weak parts of his game including ball distribution and team play, or

b) Plays hero-ball.



Anybody willing to guess Nick we'll see? Anyone?
G
Gunk
CrimsonCoug wrote:

From what I've seen of Nick, he'll be out to prove something to everyone. That will mean he

a) Works extremely hard in practice, is humble and coachable, and fixes the weak parts of his game including ball distribution and team play, or

b) Plays hero-ball.



Anybody willing to guess Nick we'll see? Anyone?

Hero ball.



Seriously, if I am Rose, I park Emery at the end of the bench and leave him there.
E
EM_Puma
Conner Harding in double digits in two games in a row. Pretty good for someone who has only played four games of college ball. He looks to be a good one.



Kolby Lee just looks so mechanical in his movements. When he takes off running down the court it just looks like he's a robot or something. Stocky dude and will be used for defense probably. Reminds me of a lot of players we've had at BYU. They contribute and are good to have, but never really shine. I hope I'm wrong, but the talk of him thus far has exceeded what I have seen on the court. It was so fun to have Eric Mica and had some big guys that were really fluid. I think that's why I like Baxter so far. Only 6'7", but fluid.



In total honesty, it's going to be hard to find ANY minutes for Nick. Maybe Cannon's time. I like Cannon's fluid movement, but his shot is not hitting.
B
byufan4ever
EM_Puma wrote:



It was so fun to have Eric Mica and had some big guys that were really fluid. I think that's why I like Baxter so far. Only 6'7", but fluid.




Baxter is listed at 6-9 and he has a good wingspan too.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
I think Nick will surprise many of us. He's had the entire year to work through his issues by working out and playing ball. He is gonna want to help this team. I don't get all the downers on him, he screwed up, made amends and is back to help our team. He's far from the worst thing to ever happen to college BBall, $12k in benefits is huge by BYU standards, but compared to what the NCAA has let slide over the years, its laughable. He made a mistake and he's fixed it. I believe he's going to make an incredible impact on the success of this team.
G
Gunk
Childs is looking good. Really like his efforts on the glass. I kinda feel like he had better post up moves last year, but maybe folks are defending him better.



Big fan of Hardnet. Really liking what I see from him. He's a better PG than Haws. He's the only player other than Childs than play through contact. Cannon can a bit. Haws wilts when bumped.



Love Haws speed. He's great ant pushing the ball, but I'm not wild about him so far. Seems like he's also looking to drive the ball, needs to pull up and shoot it. His mid-range game needs work. It's either a layup or a 3 for him. He's passing it more than in the Nevada game, which is good.



Nixon is a warrior. Love that guy's Hussle and toughness.



Baxter has been a surprise. As has Harding.



Against Oral Roberts the defense was really there. When we go zone we still have a tendency to leave a guy camped out on one side. Teams work it around one side of the court, we pressure, and then they swing it to the open man we let stand there for 10 seconds.



I am liking the fight and hussle on rebounds, I hope it continues.



Three point shooting needs to heat up real quick. Seljaas is still struggling. Haws isn't hitting much. Hardnet is streaky, etc. We don't have consistent 3 point shooting and we only have one low post threat. If Childs gets in foul trouble and 3 point shooting is off, we lose.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.