Archived Topic

SpiffCoug

by EM_Puma · 11/14/2018

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Hey Scotten, was that you asking a question at the KS Coaches Show this week?



It looked like you, but they introduced you as "Calvin", which I never heard you called, but...
F
frdbtr
People still go to the Sitake show? Last time I watched, I think they only had family members of the team there.
S
SpiffCoug
It was me. My boys really wanted to go. So I took them. My oldest wanted to ask a question, so we filled out a card (with his name on it) and when they called for him to go up to ask, he was afraid, so I asked in his place. They had already put the name on the teleprompter, so I didn't bother to correct them.



There were only about 20-25 people there at the most.
S
scott715
Well done dad.
S
SpiffCoug
scott715 wrote:

Well done dad.

Coach Grimes did say it was a great question. It's the kind of question that has been honed from years of spectacular discussion here on Cougar Corner.



The most interesting thing I heard was that Grimes had moved up into the box.
Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
So...what was the question? And what was the answer?
E
EM_Puma
SpiffCoug wrote:

It was me. My boys really wanted to go. So I took them. My oldest wanted to ask a question, so we filled out a card (with his name on it) and when they called for him to go up to ask, he was afraid, so I asked in his place. They had already put the name on the teleprompter, so I didn't bother to correct them.



There were only about 20-25 people there at the most.

Okay, that makes sense because I heard them call you by your son's name and I just thought maybe that was part of your official name. Good father move. Love it.
E
EM_Puma
"Coach, we saw some jet sweep success this last weekend with Massachusetts. It seems like that had fallen out of favor in the middle part. Was there something teams were doing to take the jet sweep out, and what Massachusetts did that you saw that allowed you to have success again?



Coach Grimes: "We have used it in every game to some extent, some more than others and I have always said we want the type of offense that is versatile enough to take advantage of what the defense is giving us and in some games defenses have worked hard to take away the perimeter run with wide edges from the outside, and so in those games then you move to something else, and take what they are giving you. So in some games we haven't used it as much. Plus the style of offense that we are playing now doesn't lend itself to quite as much of that. So, it will continue to be a part of our offense, just not quite as much as we were doing earlier in the season.
E
EM_Puma
EM_Puma wrote:

Plus the style of offense that we are playing now doesn't lend itself to quite as much of that. So, it will continue to be a part of our offense, just not quite as much as we were doing earlier in the season.


Interpretation? I guess he's saying that with Mangum, he was a non-mobile QB, so we did more fly sweep to confuse defenses. Wilson can run, so it's not needed as much and the x-factor of his offense is that there is always a potential for him to run that keeps the defense honest.
C
CrimsonCoug
Regardless of the mobility of he QB, isn't it always a good thing to have more options and to make the defense have defend against those additional options? Seems like running the sweep would open up the QB draw.
Advertisement
J
Jarhead
It seems like they run it one time, maybe two, and if it doesn’t go very well, they don’t run it again. It seems to me like they have given up on it too easily. I prefer the jet sweep to running sweeps with our running backs.
C
CrimsonCoug
Agree.



And great question by Spiff Jr, btw!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.