Archived Topic

I knew my apathy was strong, but this is ridiculous

by jadesroom · 10/30/2018

Advertisement
J
jadesroom
I live in Boise and had forgotten until this afternoon that BYU plays here on Saturday.



My co-workers haven't said anything.....They must be pitying me.
K
KingCoug
It's certainly very hard to be excited about things. And it's rather easy to be confused. We beat Wisconsin on the road and lose to NIU at home? The heck?



The only thing that could get me excited at all is if we some how beat Utah at the end of the season. But I don't think Sitake and Co. have it in them. Even if they sold their souls. And Whittingham already has a long-standing agreement with the guy downstairs.



I think best case scenario we finish 6-6 and play Toledo in the Who Gives a Rat's @$$ Bowl.
G
Guest
I'm glad I'll be down in St. George doing a race while my wife is doing a big book signing. I may watch the game later, depending upon the score.
G
Gunk
I have no real plans to watch the game. I don't remember what time it's on.



If I am home, I'll likely turn it on while I get my "to-do" list done.
B
BroncoBot
Man, you guys are a pathetic lot.



Michael Shelton needs you guys. He wants all cougar fans to clap their hands and chant "We believe in BYU" so the players can find the motivation to win. Without fan support, he claims the team is too "down" to find any motivation.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
BroncoBot wrote:

Man, you guys are a pathetic lot.



Michael Shelton needs you guys. He wants all cougar fans to clap their hands and chant "We believe in BYU" so the players can find the motivation to win. Without fan support, he claims the team is too "down" to find any motivation.


What? when did he say this? If he really said this, my post about firing Sitake right after the NIU game is even more relevant.
E
EM_Puma
frdbtr wrote:


Man, you guys are a pathetic lot.



Michael Shelton needs you guys. He wants all cougar fans to clap their hands and chant "We believe in BYU" so the players can find the motivation to win. Without fan support, he claims the team is too "down" to find any motivation.


What? when did he say this? If he really said this, my post about firing Sitake right after the NIU game is even more relevant.


I think he's being sarcastic. Shelton spoke about the negative BYU home crowd and how he likes it better on the road.

https://247sports.com/college/byu/Article/BYU-Cornerback-Michael-Shelton-likes-road-atmosphere-better-than-BYU-home-crowd-124037361/



His reference to "...clap their hands and chant 'We believe in BYU'." is in reference to Peter Pan and how you get a fairy, who is dying, to be revived.



I haven't been on the fire KS at all over these down times, but something is fundamentally wrong with this team and the fans have all the right in the world to be pissed off at the attitude of this and last year's team. You have several x-players saying once again this team has no heart and that lies on the coaches shoulders in my book.
E
EM_Puma
As far as watching this game, I'll DVR it as I usually do (I have actually watched live both the Wisconsin and NIU games this season) and if we win, I'll watch it, otherwise I have more important things to do.



The honest truth, I'm finding it difficult to understand fundamentally why I care so much about sports when it can bring such a downer feeling. BYU losing 7-6 to NIU at home is unacceptable to me and I still consider myself a supporter of BYU sports, but this is no fun at all.
S
snoscythe
BroncoBot wrote:
Michael Shelton needs you guys. He wants all cougar fans to clap their hands and chant "We believe in BYU" so the players can find the motivation to win. Without fan support, he claims the team is too "down" to find any motivation.


....and with that, snoscythe finished writing off the team for the 2018 season and scheduled a squirrel hunt for that weekend.



https://nancyotoole.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/castle_writing.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I'll watch it. I like football. You never know. The Wisconsin win floored me. A win on the smurf turf would too.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
EM_Puma wrote:


BroncoBot wrote:

Man, you guys are a pathetic lot.



Michael Shelton needs you guys. He wants all cougar fans to clap their hands and chant "We believe in BYU" so the players can find the motivation to win. Without fan support, he claims the team is too "down" to find any motivation.


What? when did he say this? If he really said this, my post about firing Sitake right after the NIU game is even more relevant.


I think he's being sarcastic. Shelton spoke about the negative BYU home crowd and how he likes it better on the road.

https://247sports.com/college/byu/Article/BYU-Cornerback-Michael-Shelton-likes-road-atmosphere-better-than-BYU-home-crowd-124037361/



His reference to "...clap their hands and chant 'We believe in BYU'." is in reference to Peter Pan and how you get a fairy, who is dying, to be revived.



I haven't been on the fire KS at all over these down times, but something is fundamentally wrong with this team and the fans have all the right in the world to be pissed off at the attitude of this and last year's team. You have several x-players saying once again this team has no heart and that lies on the coaches shoulders in my book.


Sarcasm aside, the team is what gets the fans energized not the other way around. The fans cheer for a good product and sit on their hands when the product sucks. The current BYU football team is not a good product and that has nothing to do with the fans. It is all on the coaches. I don't blame the college age players at all.
E
EM_Puma
frdbtr wrote:

Sarcasm aside, the team is what gets the fans energized not the other way around. The fans cheer for a good product and sit on their hands when the product sucks. The current BYU football team is not a good product and that has nothing to do with the fans. It is all on the coaches. I don't blame the college age players at all.


Ben Criddle mentioned this week of a tweet by Austin Collie. It wasn't flaming, but he noted that Collie usually never says much negative, and so when you see him with even an edge of criticism, then there's a problem. Several former players have been commenting on not seeing any heart these last few games by the Cougars. Not having any heart just doesn't seem possible for a BYU Cougar.
E
El Guapo
These are college kids - it is 100% the job of the coaching staff to motivate the players and since it's not happening, there is a serious deficiency somewhere. Personally, I don't think Kalani is head coaching material - while at Utah and Oregon State, his defenses got statistically worse each subsequent season and his culture is one of a laid back approach to things with little in the way of a work ethic. He didn't have the resume to be the HC of BYU football, but Holmoe saw him as someone he could get on the cheap who was a former player and LDS, and so here we are. Holmoe is just as much responsible for this mess as Kalani, maybe even more so. Until there is a house cleaning in Provo and a relaxation of the honor code along with dropping the LDS coach temple recommend requirement while beginning to pay coaches market salaries, expect these issues to continue.
A
ABYUFAN
El Guapo wrote:
He didn't have the resume to be the HC of BYU football, but Holmoe saw him as someone he could get on the cheap who was a former player and LDS, and so here we are.
This seems like on the edge of crazy to me. I don't think that there is any evidence that Sitake came any cheaper than any of the other coaching candidates. As a matter of fact, he was the front runner of the candidates. Just because he turned out to be a lousy coach doesn't mean that the decision to try him out was based on how few dollars he was commanding at signing time.
E
El Guapo
ABYUFAN wrote:

He didn't have the resume to be the HC of BYU football, but Holmoe saw him as someone he could get on the cheap who was a former player and LDS, and so here we are.
This seems like on the edge of crazy to me. I don't think that there is any evidence that Sitake came any cheaper than any of the other coaching candidates. As a matter of fact, he was the front runner of the candidates. Just because he turned out to be a lousy coach doesn't mean that the decision to try him out was based on how few dollars he was commanding at signing time.

He was not the front runner of the candidates.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
El Guapo wrote:


El Guapo wrote:
He didn't have the resume to be the HC of BYU football, but Holmoe saw him as someone he could get on the cheap who was a former player and LDS, and so here we are.
This seems like on the edge of crazy to me. I don't think that there is any evidence that Sitake came any cheaper than any of the other coaching candidates. As a matter of fact, he was the front runner of the candidates. Just because he turned out to be a lousy coach doesn't mean that the decision to try him out was based on how few dollars he was commanding at signing time.

He was not the front runner of the candidates.


nor was he cheaper
J
jvquarterback
Holmoe let Sitake hire a high school coach to be OC. I think that shows how incredibly inept the two of them are.



And let's not get into Holmoe treating fundraising like friends of scouting.
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:

Michael Shelton needs you guys. He wants all cougar fans to clap their hands and chant "We believe in BYU" so the players can find the motivation to win. Without fan support, he claims the team is too "down" to find any motivation.


....and with that, snoscythe finished writing off the team for the 2018 season and scheduled a squirrel hunt for that weekend.



https://nancyotoole.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/castle_writing.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Lol. let me know when and where and I'll meet you there.
B
BroncoBot
EM_Puma wrote:


BroncoBot wrote:

Man, you guys are a pathetic lot.



Michael Shelton needs you guys. He wants all cougar fans to clap their hands and chant "We believe in BYU" so the players can find the motivation to win. Without fan support, he claims the team is too "down" to find any motivation.


What? when did he say this? If he really said this, my post about firing Sitake right after the NIU game is even more relevant.


I think he's being sarcastic.


Just a little.
E
El Guapo
ABYUFAN wrote:


ABYUFAN wrote:

He didn't have the resume to be the HC of BYU football, but Holmoe saw him as someone he could get on the cheap who was a former player and LDS, and so here we are.
This seems like on the edge of crazy to me. I don't think that there is any evidence that Sitake came any cheaper than any of the other coaching candidates. As a matter of fact, he was the front runner of the candidates. Just because he turned out to be a lousy coach doesn't mean that the decision to try him out was based on how few dollars he was commanding at signing time.

He was not the front runner of the candidates.


nor was he cheaper

He is paid about half of what both Bronco and KWhit are making and is ranked about 60th in the country as far as his salary goes - that is about equal to what the coaches at UConn, Fresno State and East Carolina make. Kalani brings in about $750k from BYU, but is also given another $750k from boosters and the 'coaches circle'. $3.5 million per year is the average NCAA coaches salary - Kalani's salary is 21% of the norm and 42% of the norm when you add in what boosters donate as well.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.